Nan - voltage

More
23 Sep 2020 04:36 #183393 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Nan - voltage

here is your generated error :)

edit: and now i know how to screenshot!!! winning

It's a learning curve for us all...

OK, that shows the arc-voltage-input is the culprit, so it seems the encoder is sending a non float output.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2020 04:38 #183394 by phillc54

So clearly as I suspected, and mentioned before, the calibration values in the GUI are not making it to plasmac.comp.

The calibration values are there, they are 0.000000 which is to be expected on startup as the GUI probably hasn't yet completed loading.

More
23 Sep 2020 05:02 #183395 by phillc54
Another one to try...
Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2020 05:10 #183396 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Nan - voltage

OK, that shows the arc-voltage-input is the culprit, so it seems the encoder is sending a non float output.

Thats a really big call. What you are saying is that Linuxcnc's code is broken at the core. I don't believe that!

If in the menu, you used show hal configuration to drill down to the Mesa encoder being used for arc voltage will tell you the data type as reported from the Linuxcnc core. If the data type is float, it will give you a float. That float might be infinity but its still a float.

Doing what I proposed would isolate the GUI as the culprit or not. Its a simple change and well worth implementing.

More
23 Sep 2020 05:16 #183397 by phillc54

Thats a really big call. What you are saying is that Linuxcnc's code is broken at the core. I don't believe that!

If in the menu, you used show hal configuration to drill down to the Mesa encoder being used for arc voltage will tell you the data type as reported from the Linuxcnc core. If the data type is float, it will give you a float. That float might be infinity but its still a float.

Doing what I proposed would isolate the GUI as the culprit or not. Its a simple change and well worth implementing.

This is from Tesremos' connections.hal file
net plasmac:arc-voltage-in hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.velocity => plasmac.arc-voltage-in
Note on the screenshot the value shown from arc-voltage-in...

More
23 Sep 2020 05:23 #183399 by phillc54

How can the GUI be the culprit, the only value used from the GUI are arc-voltage-scale and arc-voltage-offset. It clearly shows them both as zero. That would give an arc voltage output of zero.

More
23 Sep 2020 05:29 - 23 Sep 2020 05:31 #183400 by Tesremos
Replied by Tesremos on topic Nan - voltage
PHILL!!!

you've done it!

30/30 no nan.

edit: 100/100 no instances of nan
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 05:31 by Tesremos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
23 Sep 2020 05:36 #183401 by phillc54
What that one does is look at the arc-voltage-in signal and if it sees an inf instead of a valid float then it starts a one second loop. If it sees a valid float within one second it continues on its merry way otherwise it will give an error message.

Can you get PurduePete to give it a try as well.

It may be worth an ask in the Driver Boards section as to why it could start up with an inf on the encoder output.

More
23 Sep 2020 05:36 #183402 by rodw
So infinity * 0 = 0 so how can it report a nan?
What does halshow report for encoder velocity?

You have not eliminated anything yet.
Don't have a closed mind. There is something going on here that none of us understand.

I still think its more likely that a reported bug in NML which is used by the GUI to talk to the Linuxcnc core is the culprit than the encoder output.

More
23 Sep 2020 05:54 #183403 by rodw

What that one does is look at the arc-voltage-in signal and if it sees an inf instead of a valid float then it starts a one second loop. If it sees a valid float within one second it continues on its merry way otherwise it will give an error message.

Can you get PurduePete to give it a try as well.

It may be worth an ask in the Driver Boards section as to why it could start up with an inf on the encoder output.

When you go back to the First post and look at the screen dumps arc-voltage-in has a valid value but arc-voltage-out has a nan. The original screen dumps still don't correlate with the solution. Maybe the one second delay simply allows the system to sort itself out. eg for the system to load.

I think it should be reported as a bug on the basis that behaviour has changed in master from 2.8. Its a very cludgy work around.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds