QTPlasmaC Crashing bug report

More
04 Apr 2021 09:48 - 04 Apr 2021 09:52 #204723 by robertspark

........ You can duplicate this by removing your ground clamp and running a job. ,.........

my 2 pence / 2 cents....

when you remove the plasma clamp (it's actually + / positive with respect to the torch, the torch is - / negative polarity)
you are forcing the torch to use its High Frequency circuit to maintain the plasma arc ..... hence in my opinion you have an electrical noise problem which is causing a spike and upsetting Comms...... are you using a shared earth and zero volt connection?

you use of the word "ground" has me worried as many don't understand what ground, earth, and zero volt are and that there is a difference
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 09:52 by robertspark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 14:25 - 04 Apr 2021 14:28 #204767 by Nick7251

........ You can duplicate this by removing your ground clamp and running a job. ,.........

my 2 pence / 2 cents....

when you remove the plasma clamp (it's actually + / positive with respect to the torch, the torch is - / negative polarity)
you are forcing the torch to use its High Frequency circuit to maintain the plasma arc ..... hence in my opinion you have an electrical noise problem which is causing a spike and upsetting Comms...... are you using a shared earth and zero volt connection?

you use of the word "ground" has me worried as many don't understand what ground, earth, and zero volt are and that there is a difference

Don't worry, it will all be okay. :cheer:

I know that it is actually the + lead, but a lot of people still call it the ground clamp as they bring the term from welding. Even though that is wrong, most still understand. But when talking about an EMI issue it is important to clarify, so thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

I used to have the + clamp connected to my table star ground but I was getting the arc lost error a lot. So I now put the clamp right on my material.

My star ground has a connection to an 8' earth rod. Each stepper goes to the star ground as well as my control box chassis.

I agree with you that it is possibly an EMI issue, but the bug in my opinion is that the software is crashing instead of pausing. PlasmaC would pause and give me a chance to resume my cut. QTPlasmaC crashes and therefore i have no good chance to resume the cut.

I will post the terminal output sometime today.

Thanks all.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 14:28 by Nick7251.

More
04 Apr 2021 18:00 #204793 by Nick7251
Here is one of the terminal outputs when it crashed.

File Attachment:

File Name: Terminalonfailure.txt
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:

More
04 Apr 2021 19:01 #204801 by robertspark
interesting, I am wondering if someone could remove the arcOK signal from their setup during a cut (pulling a wire) to replicate?

More
04 Apr 2021 20:39 #204809 by snowgoer540
I’m not seeing any errors in the terminal output. You lost the arc (which usually prints twice in terminal, not entirely sure why, but it’s normal), and then it looks like you closed (or the program closed itself) the program. But I’m not seeing what the qtvcp error is, and that’s what we would need to move forward.

As far as dropping the arcok during a cut by removing a wire... I’m willing to do that, but I think you could also set it false in halshow and achieve the same thing.

I may be able to do some testing after the Easter festivities are over.

More
04 Apr 2021 21:03 #204814 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic QTPlasmaC Crashing bug report
To me, this appears to be a software error because:
1. Plasmac appears to catch the probe switch changing and prints a message about pausing
2. The error on termination appears to be coming from QTvcp (outside of plasmac)
3. The log shows normal termination. This is reasonable if the GUI (QTvcp) is closed for some reason.

The only way I could think of that would place responsibility of this with QTPlasmac would be if somehow it was returning an invalid value to QTvcp which told it to shut down.

I think this should be raised in the QTvcp section or in the issues report on GIT.

More
04 Apr 2021 21:54 #204819 by snowgoer540

interesting, I am wondering if someone could remove the arcOK signal from their setup during a cut (pulling a wire) to replicate?

Lost the arc on a single cut by running it off the edge of the part.

It caused no problems. The error message is in the terminal, and it paused like it should. Caught the picture on a weird blink of CYCLE RESUME, but take my word for it, it was blinking :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
04 Apr 2021 22:14 #204820 by robertspark
Nick7251 are you running the current master branch? {just checking the obvious regarding an lookis like you are running xxxx 3713xxxx from 2021-03-25}

do you want to try upgrading to the latest master (just in case its a cleared issue due to something changing or being removed etc)

Next.... check for .... electrical noise spike.... (double, tripple check your wiring, do you have a schematic, as rough as they come is better than nothing to at least review)

More
05 Apr 2021 01:58 #204841 by Nick7251
Thanks all for your input, but please refrain from trying to fix the fact I am losing pilot arc. I have already resolved that problem. I am just reporting that when I was having the problem, instead of the software pausing like it should or like it does when I was on PlasmaC, it would throw an error, then any button I could click would close the software.

This time when I clicked show report, it actually showed the report instead of crashing. I guess I got lucky.
The error report says the following:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac_4x3/qtplasmac_4x3_handler.py", line 933, in pause_changed
    self.w[self.tpButton].setEnabled(True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/qtvcp/qt_makegui.py", line 345, in __getitem__
    return getattr(self, item)
AttributeError: 'VCPWindow' object has no attribute ''

Then if I click abort, or retry LinuxCNC would close.

Also as far as being on the latest build. I am no linux guru, but I am pretty sure I am the most up to date I can be. I have seen this problem on builds starting with 1.0 to current. I just upgraded before duplicating the error for you all again tonight. Says I am on xxxx 3764 xxxxx QTPlasmaC v 1.09

I pretty much update anytime Linux tells me to.
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2021 02:07 #204846 by phillc54
Do you have a Torch Pulse button set in the .ini file as a user button?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds