Help with QTplasmaC

More
17 Apr 2021 22:05 #206233 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Help with QTplasmaC

....... but PlasmaC shows 4 axis until homed but QtplasmaC is only showing 3 I cannot jog any motors or home the machine yet.

If i recall correctly, QtPlasmaC shows only 3 axis all the time although i have 4 joints, not very clear on this as i was chasing the slow THC thingy ....
If the X axis is not tandem it can be jogged without homing it first, so that tells me there is more missing than a joint/axis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2021 23:30 #206240 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Help with QTplasmaC
QtPlasmaC only show the axes, not the joints regardles of the " kinstype=both" setting in the ini file.

This is a no win situation where it confuses some folk to have 4 "axes" dispalyed when they only have three and confuses other folk who expect to see 4 "joints".

More
18 Apr 2021 00:31 #206246 by txtrone
Replied by txtrone on topic Help with QTplasmaC

It might be better to start pncconf, and edit it that way.

You just click on the drop down, click Axis > Tandem Axis > pick whatever suits your tandem axis, usually it's Y, so Y2 Tandem StepGen.

That's it really.

The only thing that is confusing is you may have to invert the direction for one of the Y motors. It will be listed under that Joint, but it's confusing because it's next to "Unused StepGen" then Dir Gen-B, and you can click Inv there.

I show it clicked in this view, just so you can see it, you'll have to figure out if you need it or not.

Attachment not found

This image shows Z Axis stepgen inverted, or am I losing my mind?

I am having the same issue with not being able to home the X axis (the tandem in my case).

More
18 Apr 2021 00:39 #206247 by phillc54

Yep, you are correct. This catches me out a lot as well, the DIR pin is above the STEP pin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
18 Apr 2021 01:02 #206249 by txtrone

Yep, you are correct. This catches me out a lot as well, the DIR pin is above the STEP pin.

No dice getting Qtplasmac to home my tandem X axis. I will try installing Plasmac Monday and see if I can get that to work. I jumped the gun trying to install a beta on my first go round!

More
18 Apr 2021 01:07 #206250 by phillc54

No dice getting Qtplasmac to home my tandem X axis. I will try installing Plasmac Monday and see if I can get that to work. I jumped the gun trying to install a beta on my first go round!

Homing is done by LinuxCNC, QtPlasmaC should have no effect.

What is it doing/not doing?

More
18 Apr 2021 01:25 #206253 by txtrone

What is it doing/not doing?

When I load up QtPlasmac I 'power' up the machine and clear estop... then click on the 'home' buttons for x y and z. The y axis and z axis 'buttons' light up.... the x does not. When I jog the machine I have one X (the tandem) that will not move. I think I am having the same issue Clive is/was having.

More
18 Apr 2021 01:37 #206254 by phillc54
Can you post a compressed file of your config.

More
18 Apr 2021 01:39 #206255 by txtrone

Can you post a compressed file of your config.

I already used timeshift to restore my pc to where it was before I installed 2.9 or qt. I will probably install plasmac next week, at least get that going... then when qt and 2.9 are officially out I will try again.

More
18 Apr 2021 01:50 - 18 Apr 2021 04:43 #206256 by phillc54

I cannot jog any motors or home the machine yet. But do see the in halshow the various sensor working ok.
I am not sure what I am missing from the hal file. The motors are enable as they are locked
I will have to have another go in the morning.

Clive, a couple of things I see is you have:
net min-home-y     <=  hm2_7i96.0.gpio.005.in
but no corresponding switch for the tandem Y axis.

You have the X axis "HOME_FINAL_VEL" commented out.

This line:
net plasmac:axis-position joint.2.pos-fb => plasmac.axis-z-position
needs changing to:
net plasmac:axis-position joint.1.pos-fb => plasmac.axis-z-position

Can you try individually homing the Z axis then the X axis. Do any of them home?

I also would have expected something like:
setp   hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.direction.invert_output   true
in the "# Step Gen signals/setup" part of "# AXIS Y JOINT 3 Tandem" in the HAL file so that this motor runs in reverse to the main motor. Although you may already have the motor reversed in the wiring...

Edit:
I believe you use a THCAD for Arc Voltage. If so you haven't selected a Plasma Encoder in PncConf.

Can you confirm that the 7i96 Step0 is the X axis, 7i96 Step1 is the Z axis, 7i96 Step2 is the Y1axis, and 7i96 Step3 is the Y2 axis.

TBH I am not sure if the joint assignment is causing any issues, I see that when I run you parameters through PncConf if sets [TRAJ]COORDINATES as XYYZ, [KINS]KINEMATICS to trivkins coordinates=XYYZ and assigns AXIS_X to JOINT_0, AXIS_Y to JOINT_1 and JOINT_2, and AXIS_Z to JOINT_3 then just send the output to the correct stepgen in the HAL file.
That works fine in a sim so should not be a problem. There was an issue with the jog keys/buttons and I have pushed a fix for that.

Edit2: Attached is a pncconf file I ran with your parameters, you could try running PncConf with it and change anything that doesn't look right. You will need to enter the correct THCAD parameters and I just guessed the pin# for the tandem Y min-limit/home switch.
Don't forget to backup the existing config or rename the machine name.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2021 04:43 by phillc54.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds