Help with QTplasmaC

More
19 Apr 2021 20:04 #206466 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Help with QTplasmaC

This has changed. I dont know when but it definately wasnt like that before.

Thinking about it . It might be a 2.8 - 2.9 thing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2021 20:18 #206470 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Help with QTplasmaC
Snowwy, nicely explained, thank you. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
19 Apr 2021 20:28 #206473 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Help with QTplasmaC

This has changed. I dont know when but it definately wasnt like that before.

Thinking about it . It might be a 2.8 - 2.9 thing

I upgraded to 2.9 on my main machine to do testing/help develop QtPlasmaC. I was on 2.8 previous to that, and this is how it was for me on 2.8 as well.

Perhaps it was a 2.7-2.8 thing? Either way. Use it to your advantage :)

More
20 Apr 2021 02:13 - 20 Apr 2021 05:17 #206493 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Help with QTplasmaC
This is a bit OT from Clives thread but hopefully this will clear up some confusion.

QtPlasmaC was designed with the end user in mind. I don't believe that end users are interested in joints (well maybe some type of joints ;) ) , all they want to do is move the torch left, right, forward, backward, up, or down. For this reason so I decided to hide the joints and only show the axes.

QtPlasmaC has no affect on homing and/or jogging, that is all controlled by LinuxCNC.

If a gantry machine is setup properly the tandem axes will have a negative HOME_SEQUENCE. LinuxCNC will not allow joints with a negative HOME_SEQUENCE to be jogged unless all axes are homed, for this reason QtPlasmaC shows the GUI jog button for any axis with tandem joints as disabled until the machine is homed.

If an attempt to jog is made using keyboard jog keys on tandem joints with an unhomed machine, it will result in a popup error message from LinuxCNC, I imagine the same error would happen for an MPG jog.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2021 05:17 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
20 Apr 2021 08:38 #206510 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Help with QTplasmaC

This is a bit OT from Clives thread but hopefully this will clear up some confusion.

QtPlasmaC was designed with the end user in mind. I don't believe that end users are interested in joints (well maybe some type of joints ;) ) , all they want to do is move the torch left, right, forward, backward, up, or down. For this reason so I decided to hide the joints and only show the axes.

I'm with you on this.
Its interesting this conversation is still going on. When I first built my machine, V2.8 about 5 years ago, when the joint axes had just been released, there were a few bugs as people developing GUI's caught up with the new features and an attempt to jog Gmocappy in world mode would rack my gantry! So I removed Kinstype=both from my config, Norbert fixed a bug or two I reported and i never looked back. Then somewhere along the way, the ability to jog and home in world mode was added back in with some caveats.

I was a new user that never cared about being able to jog before homing or even new what world mode was. All I wanted to do is to home my machine and get on with life. I will say its handy to be able to rehome the Z axis. Kinstype=both is not in my vocabulary.

More
20 Apr 2021 09:23 #206512 by snowgoer540

Kinstype=both is not in my vocabulary.

Agreed. I took it out quite some time ago, and haven't looked back. Well, except to make an example post :) That plus making all my HOME_SEQUENCE values negative really prevents bone-head moves, especially where someone else might be using the table and have 0 understanding of soft limits, etc. Z on my table is quite fast, and therefore easy to crash when not homed.

These days, I also use VOLATILE_HOME = 1 (link) for each joint as well. I figure at this point, if I run into a limit switch, whack an estop, etc. the table should really be rehomed. This just forces me to not opt to skip it in haste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Apr 2021 09:40 #206514 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Help with QTplasmaC

These days, I also use VOLATILE_HOME = 1 (link) for each joint as well. I figure at this point, if I run into a limit switch, whack an estop, etc. the table should really be rehomed. This just forces me to not opt to skip it in haste.

I'm not sure for plasma that is a big issue because I always touch off to the laser pointer at the start of the job.
So my table moves about 19mm per motor rev or about 0.095 mm per 1.8 degree step. Worst case, you would jump to the nearest detent which is no more than 0.095/2 = 0.047mm from position or 0.002" in the old units. Its just not significant even if it jumps a few 1.8 deg steps! Once you touch off to the laser you are not going to have inaccurate parts.

More
20 Apr 2021 09:49 #206515 by snowgoer540

I'm not sure for plasma that is a big issue because I always touch off to the laser pointer at the start of the job.
So my table moves about 19mm per motor rev or about 0.095 mm per 1.8 degree step. Worst case, you would jump to the nearest detent which is no more than 0.095/2 = 0.047mm from position or 0.002" in the old units. Its just not significant even if it jumps a few 1.8 deg steps! Once you touch off to the laser you are not going to have inaccurate parts.

Perhaps that does work from a relative standpoint in that exact scenario.

But also, consider that if you whack the hardware estop, the gantry might not be square anymore depending on how much twist you're pulling out when you home (I have mine basically stress free, but still).

Now that the eoffsets stuff is straightened out I don't think I've ever run into a limit switch, but in the past when that happened, I'd say most bets were off, it was time to rehome. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Apr 2021 18:16 #206552 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Help with QTplasmaC
Ok back on topic

I now have a working config in that I can home all axis (not tried a test cut yet)

Q.1 Is it possible to use the keyboard for jogging ?

Q.2 in PlasmaC I used this coder for laser :
BUTTON_1_CODE = G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 \ G54 G1 X -47.5 Y 21.296 F2000 \ G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0
I like the way this worked before. What do I put where to achieve the same result ?

Q.3 Is it possible to reset the GUI colour display back to defaults ?

Q.4 I am not sure where to put the THC encoder OV and 10V frequency's the docs says pncconf but I have altered my files so can't use that now.

Q.5 I think I read some ware that the DRO could be at the top of the GUI ?

Thanks for all the help.

More
20 Apr 2021 20:29 #206565 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Help with QTplasmaC

Q.1 Is it possible to use the keyboard for jogging ?

Yes, it has to be anbled in the "Parameters" tab, "GUI Settings" part.

Q.2 in PlasmaC I used this coder for laser :
BUTTON_1_CODE = G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 \ G54 G1 X -47.5 Y 21.296 F2000 \ G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0
I like the way this worked before. What do I put where to achieve the same result ?

Make another quick config and set it in Pncconf then just copy the laser line to your config.

Q.3 Is it possible to reset the GUI colour display back to defaults ?

Paste this into "HTML" box when selecting the color: #ffee06

Q.4 I am not sure where to put the THC encoder OV and 10V frequency's the docs says pncconf but I have altered my files so can't use that now.

Use the link to the calculator in the PlasmaC documents, not sure i have seen it for QTPlasmaC so might need to be added there.

Q.5 I think I read some ware that the DRO could be at the top of the GUI ?

Also read the same thing, no idea how for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds