More
29 Apr 2022 21:49 #241678 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic THC cannot keep up

First hiccup:
rm: cannot remove 'linuxcnc-dev': Is a directory

my fault, it should be:
rm -rf linuxcnc-dev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jalapeno56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2022 21:50 #241680 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THC cannot keep up
I forgot to add when building from source, I don't think any user needs to use a RIP build, just do the deb install. Leave that for the developers that are dabbling in linuxcnc's core. Building the debs take a bit longer but its much cleaner in the end.

More
29 Apr 2022 21:53 #241682 by Jalapeno56
Replied by Jalapeno56 on topic THC cannot keep up
Yes sir:

bryan@debian:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye

bryan@debian:~$ uname -v
#1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 5.10.106-1 (2022-03-17)

Changed: EMCIO = iov2

More
29 Apr 2022 22:04 #241684 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THC cannot keep up
Great thanks for the info. It was as I expected. At least we know your environment.

I think I will bow out of this discussion. Too many prophets.
All that was required to update to the latest linuxcnc version was
cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
git pull
make clean
make -j4
sudo make setuid

Building linuxcnc is well covered here linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

More
29 Apr 2022 22:18 #241686 by Jalapeno56
Gentlemen,
You have saved the day!
Lcnc starts with 223.185 in the header for qt!
I am going to move forward with THC settings.

I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for all your help!!
Thank you so much!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, snowgoer540

More
06 May 2022 00:53 #242087 by Jalapeno56
Time for an update:
I have followed your recommendations and also gone through Qtplasmac's manual for the 6th time with a fine tooth comb......
Several issues have been fixed, some you pointed out and some I didn't know i had!! I can cut (minus thc problems) with little to no dross. Machine has much better consistency with moves, etc.
I was verifying the voltage from the torch with a 9v battery and it showed 461v, hmm... not good. The voltage scale in configuration tab went from 0.01888725 (calculated from jscalc.io/calc/NTr5QDX6WgMThBVb) to 0.000401 to show 9v. Battery measured 9.48v with VOM. Qt doesn't show decimals so I found 10 and 9, found the median at .000401. The calculator mentioned above shows 1:1 at .000377. I am now making the assumption that my voltage divider in the hypertherm is not functioning. I have scanned my configuration files to make sure I don't have a setting wrong, verified the voltage divider setting in the plasma cutter, set at 50:1 currently. Tried 20:1, 40:1, 21.1:1, same result every time. Swapped in a THCAD-5, adjusted settings accordingly and same result.
Am I missing anything?
Anyone had issues with a Hypertherm like this?
BTW, Halscope is not as bad as I previously thought, however, it apparently takes the settings in Lcnc and QT into the equation (understandably so), which throws a kink in some troubleshooting. Just something to keep in mind while tracking an issue. I am in process of borrowing a good scope from work again to verify actual voltage from the torch.

More
06 May 2022 01:02 #242088 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic THC cannot keep up
If changing the voltage divider ratios in the HT had no effect on the displayed torch voltage then it does look like the HT has an issue.

If you are cutting using Auto Volts  the displayed voltage does not need to be exact, ballpark is close enough. If you don't use auto volts and use the manufacturers recommended voltage then you do need to be as fairly close.

More
06 May 2022 01:14 #242089 by Jalapeno56
I am currently not using autovolts and trying to follow hypertherms recommendations on settings, also using Tommys and Rods insight on getting started with settings that will allow me to get close and the fine tune from there. However, hypertherm recommends 78v for 14 ga. and I am having to run 134v for clean cuts.
Thanks for the reply on the divider! I have been trying to figure out if its me or my equipment! (Its usually me!)

More
06 May 2022 01:23 #242090 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THC cannot keep up
What divider is set on THCAD?
it should be on 1/32.
Take some pictures of the Hypertherm divider and it's wiring, maybe we can spot something from them.

More
06 May 2022 01:58 #242095 by Jalapeno56
Yes sir, 1 pic of f/32 on my THCAD-10, 1 pic of voltage divider switches, 2 pics of my connection from HT to THCAD-10.  BTW, I was an aircraft electrician for 7 years so I know how to build an EMI resistant cable.  All wiring is properly shielded, grounded and verified to be less than 2.5 milli-ohms on shielding from box to box.  The EMI I could be receiving inside of the HT has not been addressed by me as I thought that would be a given from HT.

I am struggling trying to get the pics small enough to upload...
If you can:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wnfprt54...x08sckjAjEXdq6aTUYj6

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 1.175 seconds