THC cannot keep up

More
29 Apr 2022 20:56 - 29 Apr 2022 20:58 #241665 by Jalapeno56
Replied by Jalapeno56 on topic THC cannot keep up
In other words, it would help if I followed instructions!
Failed with error about io control
see attachments
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2022 20:58 by Jalapeno56. Reason: add file attachment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2022 21:16 #241667 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic THC cannot keep up
Well, at least this tells me that you likely running a package install from your icon on the desktop, and as such why the version is not up to date.

As for the error message, the specific error is this:
../Ktulu1.hal:314: Pin 'iocontrol.0.user-enable-out' does not exist

I am now curious about the directions you followed to build from source?  And are you sure you followed all of the steps?

More
29 Apr 2022 21:30 #241669 by Jalapeno56
I would be willing to bet that your second question is my problem. I tried many different options, as one worked, I went with it and moved to the next. I didn't know about all the requirements and dependencies when I started. I chased rabbit hole after rabbit hole until I had a running machine. I have been working on the software side of this since last November... I have learned more in the past month or so about keeping all of my ducks in a row with Linux, but I may have already shot myself in the foot. I will be very disheartened if I have to start over, but I also understand it has to be right!

More
29 Apr 2022 21:30 #241670 by snowgoer540
FWIW, your configuration (Ktulu1.ini) does load here on a simulation, that is a Run In Place version:

Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2022 21:36 #241671 by Jalapeno56
That makes me feel a bit better! Thanks!
BTW, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me out! You and everyone else on this forum are much appreciated! I just wish I would have asked for help sooner than later!
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
More
29 Apr 2022 21:42 - 30 Apr 2022 00:14 #241674 by snowgoer540

I would be willing to bet that your second question is my problem. I tried many different options, as one worked, I went with it and moved to the next. I didn't know about all the requirements and dependencies when I started. I chased rabbit hole after rabbit hole until I had a running machine. I have been working on the software side of this since last November... I have learned more in the past month or so about keeping all of my ducks in a row with Linux, but I may have already shot myself in the foot. I will be very disheartened if I have to start over, but I also understand it has to be right!

No worries, before we go too far down the rabbit hole, probably some things you can try before you start over:

1. In the synaptic package manager, uninstall the linuxcnc items. That will help absolve some of the "which did I launch?" confusion. Dont worry, it wont blow away your config folder.

2. it's fairly easy to start over with run in place and doesnt hurt anything. In a terminal do this:
cd
rm -rf linuxcnc-dev
git clone https://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make setuid

After all of that is done, linuxcnc should be build from source correctly.

Then this command will run linuxcnc for you from terminal from now on:
~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc

Then try to run your configuration from the config picker again. We can go from there.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2022 00:14 by snowgoer540. Reason: fix missing -rf from rm command

More
29 Apr 2022 21:44 #241675 by Jalapeno56
Thank you Tommy! I will take a look at this and see what I can do with it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Apr 2022 21:46 #241676 by Jalapeno56
First hiccup:
rm: cannot remove 'linuxcnc-dev': Is a directory

More
29 Apr 2022 21:48 #241677 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THC cannot keep up
Its an odd error as it is a core part of linuxcnc.
could you just confirm the version of Debian you are running?
Please show the output when you type:
lsb_release -a
uname -v

Also in your .ini file, can you confirm this exists (as it loads iocontrol)
[EMCIO]
EMCIO = io

Also, if there, could you try changing it to 
EMCIO = iov2
to load a different version of io control
I did look at the git code but could not see a recent change to the iotask modules (last change 4 months ago)

For snowgoer's benefit:
If you are running Debian Bullseye (Debian 11)  the buster buildbot is not compatible with a python3 only version of linuxcnc. You have to build from source. But it is possible to build the debs and install them. Once you do that, the rip-environment script is disabled so to run both a deb install and a RIP install, you have to use two different clones of the linuxcnc git code, one for the deb build, one for the RIP instance.

So all of the concerns about versions and how you build is irrellevant.

If you install Debian testing (aka Bookworm), packages are available but they are not 100% up to date with QTplasmac. You can install the packages with:
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace linuxcnc-uspace-dev measaflash

To get an up to date version of linuxcnc master branch (and the latest version of QTplasmac) on Bookworm, you still have to build from source but the dependencies are much reduced. In this case, I would build a deb install and install it over the original package.
I published a video on how to do this recently.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds