THC cannot keep up

More
06 May 2022 02:15 #242097 by Jalapeno56
Replied by Jalapeno56 on topic THC cannot keep up
OK, try #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2022 02:22 #242098 by Jalapeno56
Think I got it this time...
Attachments:

More
06 May 2022 09:58 #242111 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THC cannot keep up
Watch the encoder velocity using "show hal configuration" from the machine menu, how stable is the reading/numbers there?

More
06 May 2022 15:11 - 06 May 2022 15:18 #242148 by Jalapeno56
After re-flowing the solder joints on the board that holds the divider switches in the HT, I now have a working voltage divider. It took some re-tuning to get it to cut again, although the cut is not pretty. My encoder velocity is ranging from 10200 to 11800 during a cut. Maybe it will be more stable when I get the THC to behave. It raises and dives too much during a cut and finding the happy medium is eluding me again!

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon on the voltage divider....
I had a VOM hooked up on the input of the THCAD_10, it showed ~2.6v during a cut which is about right for 40:1 @ 110v.
Putting a 9v battery on the input shows 361v.  I am very confused now.....
Last edit: 06 May 2022 15:18 by Jalapeno56. Reason: add info

More
06 May 2022 15:38 #242151 by Jalapeno56
Ok, I'm not confused anymore. A 9v battery test would be for using raw arc voltage. I am using a divider, so 361v with a 9v battery is correct.

More
06 May 2022 17:53 - 09 May 2022 23:19 #242157 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic THC cannot keep up
It probably got lost in the versioning stuff, but have you taken a look and addresses the 1-6 list in this post below:

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/45743-thc-can...ep-up?start=0#241570

at 600ipm setup max speed, and a p of 25, I would definitely expect it to oscillate.

try setting the P I D values back to standard.  If that doesn’t help, slow the setup speed down.  

of course that’s after you correct all the height stuffs.  I meant to ask are you using the new SYNC stuff? That would explain some of the height discrepancies compared to what I’m used to seeing for ht anyhow.
Last edit: 09 May 2022 23:19 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jalapeno56

More
06 May 2022 20:23 #242172 by Jalapeno56
I did address those issues. Right now I'm working with 90ipm setup and a P value of 8. I am experimenting with higher speeds and adjusting P value accordingly. I originally thought the P value was a compensation factor, I recently learned it is not. It is a ratio of HOW MUCH the THC compensates, thus my radical highs and lows with the THC at higher P values. I have not heard of SYNC and not currently using it. I think my voltage divider problem was 75% of my original issue. Now that it is operating properly, changing of settings are actually making a difference which is leading me down the right path!!
My encoder velocity numbers are currently riding between 11300 to 11600 during a cut. A little more stable, I'm just not sure if that is stable enough?

Thank you for all your help!!! Im sure I'll be back with more crazy questions!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 May 2022 00:31 #242188 by Jalapeno56
It appears that 95ipm at P value of 9 is the maximum I can go and still have a usable piece. Dross is significant at this speed, but with higher speeds the THC cant keep up no matter what P value. Also, I can get a cut with full penetration, move over 8" and repeat the exact same gcode with same settings and get multiple failures. There seems to be no consistency which makes troubleshooting very difficult. And now a new problem of movement before arc ok even with M62 P1. I also have to say that I am disappointed with the $2600 Hypertherm requiring 45 amps to cut 14 ga. My $300 Chinese plasma makes quick work of 1/4" at 45 amps, and only needs 22 amps to cut 14ga. cleanly.
Enough of my negativity, I shall try again tomorrow.....

More
07 May 2022 00:37 - 09 May 2022 23:19 #242189 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic THC cannot keep up
Earlier when I referred to 600ipm, I was referring to the setup max speed of the Z axis, not the feed rate for the material you are cutting.  If your setup speed is too fast, I can see how you would get tons of over-correction.  Currently my Z axis is set at 300ipm, which has seemed to be PLENTY fast for everything I've cut, and I've intentionally made some pretty steep inclines for testing.    

At any rate, something with the power source seems amyss.  I can cut 14 gauge with less than 45 amps pretty easily.  It's also a bit befuddling that you had to reflow the solder joints on the voltage divider.  Is this a new power source?  Before I would have done that, I'd have reached out to hypertherm, they are really good with customer service and standing behind their product.  
Last edit: 09 May 2022 23:19 by snowgoer540.

More
09 May 2022 22:48 #242418 by Jalapeno56
I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean by set-up speed being too fast? I have had it set at 16 in QT the whole time. Or is there another place that sets that?
I found another issue with my connection of the ground clamp from the HT (my fault). 1276 ohm resistance from clamp to work piece causes a lot of problems! I feel like the king of strange issues and doing things the wrong way! It cuts like a dream now, minus a bit of fine tuning.... My sincerest apologies to the HT team!
And, Yes, it is a new power source. I guess I am one of those people that look to fix the problem myself rather than wait a week for resolution.. I also am not sure if they would warranty it after I wired in my own cpc port....
Thanks for all your help!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds