QTPlasmaC with fourth axis - rotary

More
08 Jun 2023 16:19 #273190 by tommylight

The torch will not hit if the Z axis is driven by Gcode like the Sheetcam plugin does.

Of course, i was talking about the general use case that some types/sizes can work with no complicated/SheetCAM math. Just plain gcode wrapping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2023 01:38 #273222 by snowgoer540

Does anyone know how QTPlasmaC handles referencing when keep-z-motion = 1?

This feature is something I asked Phill for way back when. I use it for my spring loaded marker holder I 3D printed with a marker to make templates, mark wood, etc. I also have a spring loaded diamond drag engraving tool that I use as well from time to time.

Currently QtPlasmaC handles nothing with "probing" in this mode. Z is set similar to how you would on a milling machine. I literally jog Z down to a point that the marker/scribe is touching the material, and then zero the Z DRO. Works well since all of the Z heights are controlled in the GCode, and any irregularities in the material is absorbed by the spring(s). None of the code I run requires an M3 though.

I imagine the component would have to be modified to probe to find Z0 and then allow the G-Code to drive the Z movements. I'm sure it's not impossible though, I can confer with Phill and see if I/we could possibly add something.

More
09 Jun 2023 07:41 #273228 by mariusl

Currently QtPlasmaC handles nothing with "probing" in this mode. 

Then it could be possible to probe using Gcode like G28 or G32. The old fashioned way for plasma to probe material height.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Jun 2023 07:45 #273229 by mariusl

The torch will not hit if the Z axis is driven by Gcode like the Sheetcam plugin does.
Of course, i was talking about the general use case that some types/sizes can work with no complicated/SheetCAM math. Just plain gcode wrapping.

Yes agreed. Hence my hunt for a decent solution. It is beginning to look like we can find a solution by using Z movements and the Sheetcam plugin combined.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Jun 2023 11:41 #273235 by phillc54
I have a possible solution which at first glance appears viable in a virtual machine but I need to do some halscope plots on my table. I won’t have time to do that for a couple of days or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
09 Jun 2023 13:10 #273238 by mariusl
Thanks Phill that is awesome news. We are waiting in anticipation 

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
12 Jun 2023 02:05 #273364 by phillc54
Unfortunately that idea didn't pan out. Another of those too good to be true moments...

Do you know if SheetCam can output the X/Y/Z moves in incremental distance mode (G91). That may work but I haven't looked too hard as I am not sure that it is an option.

Failing that it seems that we will need to inhibit the inbuilt height sensing and revert to G38 probing for tube cutting in this case.

More
12 Jun 2023 07:50 #273373 by mariusl
I would think that the G38 route would be best as that is already incorporated in the Sheetcam post processor output.
As far as the incremental output goes, I am sure that could also be done in the post processor but Les will have to answer that. I will alert him.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
12 Jun 2023 08:33 #273375 by LesNewell
I thought i was subscribed to this thread but didn't receive any notifications. Thanks Marius for giving me the heads up.

Inhibiting the built in probing would work for me. Probing gets complicated on square section so it's easiest for me to have SheetCam generate suitable G38 probing moves.
Phillc54 the post can do incremental but I generally find incremental to be a pain to work with so I try to avoid it.

More
12 Jun 2023 12:00 #273386 by phillc54
Les, would you  have a typical tube cutting gcode file with two or three cuts in it that I could have a peek at.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds