Prototrak Plus Retrofit with Mesa 7i77 & 5i25 cards

More
09 Feb 2017 21:49 #87708 by new2linux
tommylight, many many thanks!!! I see the 'axis.3.home-sw-in' is 3 lines before the #AXIS Z in the .hal file. I get this (i see the connection). From the example before, not real obvious the connection, i'm wanting to get the logistic, so i can ponder in private, if necessary. What else is not clear is what to read the dmesg file/error, (or if other error files are built for that) how to approach the first time?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:06 #87712 by tommylight
Well, you will have to fix more of those errors there, plenty more to go.
You have to use the replace function for doing such editing, and you have to keep track of what is changing and to what and how that change effects the other parts.
You can learn that in half hour, and it will save you a lot of time later.
Back on topic.
You still have to fix things like
You have scalemax and scalemin to analogout0 and analogout 1 as output for the same axis. That will not work. Same thing with limits and encoders.
It is much easier to do a new config, and place the connectors on the 7i77 in the coresponding places.
I do not understand why you change and edit hal to switch places, just unplug the connectors on the 7i77 and plug them as they should normaly be.
Even after this you will have to edit a bit, but very litle. And use the "replace" in gedit or mousepad or whatever text editor you are using.
Do not use replace for replacing 1 with 0 or similar short things, never.
Select a long part that is the same in all the lines you want to replace and just replace with the same thing plus changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
10 Feb 2017 14:04 - 10 Feb 2017 15:31 #87760 by new2linux
tommylight, many many thanks! As per your suggestion I have changed all encoder as per typical new install, there is an outside chance the 7i77 card have damage, and that is the reason I tried the prior config. I plan to start as a new config with the pncconf wizard, knowing it will wright over as to start new.

many thanks for all your help!!

EDIT: The DRO shows motion, clockwise servo shows positive DRO. Plan to read up on the tuning part of servos, please if there is suggestive reading material that would aid in my quest to move forward, it would be most welcomed!

Many many thanks to all who helped me as well as the others that make this place happen!!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2017 15:31 by new2linux. Reason: new info

More
10 Feb 2017 16:12 #87772 by tommylight
Use google and type / linuxcnc "servo tuning" / with quotes, without brackets or slash, you will find a nice tutorial by JT and another one that deals with FF1 and FF2 setings.
Read them properly, understand everything, use hal scope to get a grip on how to set it properly, and it goes quite easily after that.
When tunimg, changing values for PID requires a lot of patience, changing P value is easy, everything else has to be done with smal increments following the scope to se how the feedback behaves and noticing smal changes in f error. One example i had lately, i got it quite close to perfect with a FF1 of 0.03 but not quite there, 0.02 much worse, 0.04 worse, 0.031 worse, 0.029 worse, so i went from 0.0301 and when i set it at 0.0303 it was smooth as silk. That is an example, on how sensitive some combinations can be, and without hal scope, it can mot be done.
Also as soon as you get motion, try to set the scaling exactly right, use a bit of load to check if tuning can follow properly when loaded, check different speeds, etc etc.
Just use caution when enabling drives so you do not get a run out, and follow the dro, if it keeps counting something is usualy set reversed, .......
Plenty of fun to come, for sure.
And do not enable all the drives at the same time, 7i77 has detachable connectors, so only 1 at a time till you get that all tuned, then move to the next one.

More
14 Feb 2017 16:09 - 15 Feb 2017 12:25 #87957 by new2linux
I have read a great deal and worked the "halrun" exercises. Attached is an error gotten when I try to load halscope. The other thing that is not seen in the "Realtime function not linked" screen, there are no values in the "thread period" to pick from. I can't get past this screen to start the Hal Oscope. Please point me in the correct direction.

also attached; linuxcnc error, dmesg, .hal and .ini files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2017 12:25 by new2linux. Reason: add dmesgfile and linuxcncError file

More
14 Feb 2017 16:25 #87959 by PCW
That error is expected since you dont have a thread running
For general use, I would not bother running halscope from halrun/halcmd as you need to set up threads
normally halscope would be launched from the LinuxCNC GUI (axis for example)

More
14 Feb 2017 16:39 #87960 by new2linux
Many thanks PCW, before I go too far I have not gotten the servos to run under power, in the test area in the pncconf wizard. The axes.0.active in the "select channel" appears good, but the line in the scope is flat.

More
14 Feb 2017 19:39 #87965 by PCW
I dont know about the pncconf issue but if you run halscope
and add a new pin/signal/parameter, you must change halscopes
run mode to stop and back to roll (or single or normal) before it will be
displayed correctly

More
15 Feb 2017 14:07 #87997 by new2linux
After trying several ways to test run servos I still get message that follows at the "open loop test" button.

File Attachment:

File Name: testservoerror.txt
File Size:1 KB

In addition to the 4th line in the .hal file, (earlier there was comment about number of encoders to be 6). In the line reads/shows:
"loadrt hm2_pci config=" num_encoders=6 num_pwmgens=0 num_stepgens=5 sserial_port_0=00000x"

As I read this encoders reads ok, but pwmgens should be at least 2 (for my app "x"&"y" is all there is) maybe 6 and "port_0=00000x" should that be an address of serial port?

If I need to edit the .ini or .hal file this can be done in text editor with the cut and paste, type over methods. No special or secret handshake required.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestive reading!!
Attachments:

More
15 Feb 2017 15:43 #88001 by PCW
There should be neither pwmgens nor stepgens enabled, they make no sense with a 7I77

I would not try to use pncconf for tuning,
Tuning is most easily be done with a working LinuxCNC
configuration via halscope and the calibrate menu

Before this is even tried you should make sure the preliminary steps ( "prepare to tune" in the tutorial)
are taken so you don't get a immediate runaway and break something (or somebody)

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/tuning/servo.html

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds