Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E

More
12 Nov 2019 15:49 #150218 by jmelson

The control console is too far away from the spindle.

I made a jog pendant (see pico-systems.com/pendant.html ) and can make small increments with one hand while checking clearance or watching the edge finder) right next to the spindle. VERY convenient.

In re another question, it is most likely that the DRO display is managed by the same computer that runs the entire CNC function, and so if that computer is not working, then no part of the system will function.

And, if my prior experience is any indication, it will just keep breaking.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris mcm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2019 18:01 #150235 by J Green
Chris
My take is that when your MH C700 was manufactured MAHO was into a cash flow challenge and also dealing with huge technology advances within the metal working industry. It seemed to me the companies sticking their financial neck out to acquire that new iffy concept machinery were looking only for the economy models as a test. There was also a big shuffle of drafting departments changing to digital drawings and coming up with code for those will they be here in the next fiscal quarter CNC machines. And around that time Deckel and MAHO merged with then a buy out by Gildemeister with a result of new name being DMG Think DMG was trying not to over whelm or scare the old manual machining -screw machine customers with all the possible options.

. As to the Heidenhain TNC 135 , have you taken the time to go through it's manual and write down what it is capable of as a CNC control. For instance can it effect a 3 inch outside corner radius of a 10 inch square? Rotary table usage not allowed. I would be interested in knowing what that fully working control will do or will not do.

Any thought on picking up a used non laptop computer and downloading a "Live version" of Linux CNC to see what is going on? The Live version "runs " from the DVD player and doesn't install on the hard drive unless you elect it to do so. Meaning any Windows operating software is not affected.
Might even look into Fusion 360 which I think is way better than Aoto-Cad 10. Might check out the NYC CNC web site where Mr John S is showing how to generate "G " code with Fusion 360. Fusion 360 is free for non business use.

I think getting the TNC 135 fully functional has merit ,and could help by getting machine information for a conversion.

Are you enjoying the spring weather?
Bob

More
12 Nov 2019 18:16 #150237 by db1981
Hello Chris,

you can stop the continous feed by pressing the stop button (18S2) next to the E-Stop.

To have DRO you can add an DRO Display which can handle 11uA linear Scales (Heidenhain).

More
12 Nov 2019 19:04 #150239 by J Green
Glemigobles
My MH600E has table droop - sag . Was wondering where your machine is worn?
Have you considered inviting Mark over for a Three week MAHO scraping party ? :laugh: :laugh:

More
12 Nov 2019 20:33 #150248 by RotarySMP

Glemigobles
My MH600E has table droop - sag . Was wondering where your machine is worn?
Have you considered inviting Mark over for a Three week MAHO scraping party ? :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the kind offer. I am unfortunately busy in those weeks. :)

I have been doing about an hour scraping per day. Hard work, can't imagine what it was like for this as a career.
Mark

More
13 Nov 2019 04:02 #150264 by BradMck
Hi All,

I have been back to Chris's Maho C 700 today and have removed all the control cables from the TNC, when I powered up the machine there was no message on the display. I have checked all the IC Chipset and EProms they are all soundly in position.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris mcm

More
13 Nov 2019 06:54 #150270 by db1981
Hi Brad,

What exactly has been Done At the Service in Germany .
Did You Take a Look in the service manual ?
Heidenheim.com - Service - omu controls - TNc135

More
13 Nov 2019 09:20 #150273 by chris mcm
Hello db 1981
To answer your last note.
I have a good friend in Germany who has a similar Maho. His machine has gone for years with no bother. He talked to his service technician and then wrote to me. I quote from his letter. " The eproms are in the Tnc, which has to be opened, six of them. The eprom that you did mention is not part of the tnc. The fault can be in one of the eproms but also one level deeper in one of the rems.
His suggestion: you get from him a reconditioned platine which includes the six eproms and the rems as well. Price would be about Euros 180.- plus freight. You will surely find somebody who can change the platines.
And that is (I presume) what was done in Germany. The machine worked again with D.R.O. but there was no TNC.
My friend wrote again in no uncertain terms. Again I quote "Yes, I do suggest getting a new/rebuilt TNC from Germany, if you had done this in the first place instead of fiddling around over months, you would be working with your mill already. I am not sure if any modifications done by a local electrician are to be trusted as well. Please excuse my harsh words, but I think the TNC is basically a very good system and I -except a failing power source- did never have any problem. Again: what are the exact symptoms of failure and what does the monitor say?" end of quote.
So I have been under pressure. Living on an Island (New Zealand) half way round the world from Europe has its advantages but Traveling and freight charges are very expensive. The NZ dollar exchange rate relative to the Euro further adds to the cost.
I understand Eproms are not made any more.Their life expectancy 20 years? If that is a fact. Any available are going to be from old stock or from a wrecked machine.
After what I have read and despite what my friend wrote. I do not trust the 35 year old Heidenhain TNC. Again if I was in Germany I would likely have it repaired. Please, there has to be an alternative and that is why I am on this Forum. Yes, Brad has the service manual.
Thanks db1981

More
13 Nov 2019 09:26 #150275 by chris mcm
Hello db 1981
Yes that works. Can't believe I never tried that button. So obvious! Shows how little use I have had out of this Maho.
Thank you again.

More
13 Nov 2019 09:34 #150276 by chris mcm
Hello db 1981
You wrote I quote " To have DRO you can add an DRO Display which can handle 11uA linear Scales (Heidenhain)."
Can you tell me more. I need a D.R.O so I can carry out basic straight line milling. I do intend to retrofit to CNC (If I can justify the expense) and when we decide what to do.
Thanks Chris

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds