Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E

More
18 Jul 2018 11:22 #114461 by tommylight
Even with all that sticky tape it looks better than anything i can come up with regarding that type of work.
I just stick a huge monitor on and move on, it hides a lot of the mess behind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2018 10:08 #114522 by RotarySMP

...it hides a lot of the mess behind.

LOL - good call. When you drop the ball on a project like I have the last half year, this sort of solution gets tempting again.
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Jul 2018 07:55 - 20 Jul 2018 07:58 #114567 by RotarySMP
To show I do appreciate JG's kick in the pant's, I have been making sure to work on the MAHO ever day. Even if only for 15 minutes (as has been this week), the key to a long complete project is to touch it every day.

So yesterday it was a couple more buttons installed...

The shaper attachment and the overarm for horizontal milling came up on the Willhaben (Austria's Craiglist). Pretty expensive, but the overarm has never been used, and shaping attachment also looks like it hasn't done much work. I bought them sight unseen. Probably wont get much use from me either, but I like a machine to have all it's accessories. And buying stuff you don't need is also a form of project progress right?

Since they came off a MAHO 400P, I wasn't sure if they would fit my MH400E, so I sent a web request to DMG. Fantastic service, one of their support guys called me from Germany to ask a couple of questions, then pulled up the interace drawing and sent me a scan so I could have the seller confirm the mounting dimensions.

Here are a couple of photos from the ad...

Mark
Last edit: 20 Jul 2018 07:58 by RotarySMP.

More
20 Jul 2018 07:59 #114569 by RotarySMP
For future reference, the head interface bolt pattern on the MAHO 400 series is 145x108mm, with the alignment boss's also on 145mm spacing.

Mark
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Green

More
20 Jul 2018 15:42 #114589 by J Green
Mark Was only hoping for a short update ,but Nooooooo - you also point out how easy you can get DMG to provide information -- and then how easy it is to pick up a Overarm attachment plus a Slotter/shaper attachment . Was this all done on your way to the grocery store?:P I am green with envy .
Congratulations
Bob

More
24 Jul 2018 10:43 - 24 Jul 2018 10:44 #114738 by RotarySMP
I am a little embarassed to admit it, but on the way back from that one grocery store Bob was mentioning, I picked up a radius grinding attachment for my Clarkson T&C Grinder...
madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11250.msg151156.html#msg151156

So I had to clean it up instead of getting on with the MAHO.
Sorry. Mark
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 10:44 by RotarySMP.

More
25 Jul 2018 01:03 #114786 by andypugh
The over-arm might be very useful if you want to try gear hobbing.

(even easier if the table swings, but you can fake that with CNC)

More
26 Jul 2018 06:18 #114857 by RotarySMP
Good idea.
I think I am the worlds slowest electrician.

Or maybe the most easily distracted, as yesterday I dragged out the furnace and case hardened a tool stop for the Clarkson radius grinding attachment.
Mark
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Green

More
26 Jul 2018 07:56 #114861 by tommylight
Wiring takes a lot of time, like a lot !
Still worth it at the end.
Regards,
Tom

More
26 Jul 2018 08:35 #114864 by J Green
Hi Mark
Tis good that you are enjoying the summer time, Did the Maho slotter come with a tool holder? Have you got the overarm an slotter home yet ? I hope to see some show an tell on that slotter. Wondering if you have considered getting a Maho rotary table or doing something like Mr MullerNick or Mr Andy P did for a rotary axis ?
About the time you were doing the grocery store run ,I was dragging home a K O Lee -BA960- universal tool an cutter grinder. It is non tilt head - high speed spindle ( 3450 to 17,250RPM) - motorized variable speed workhead + other stuff and thinges. But ,No as in not included radius attachment ! What is it with the used T&C grinder sales committee ?

Be glad that I am not your neighbour, but I wish my neighbourhood had people like you .
Bob
Attachments:

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds