Computer to run Linux CNC

More
20 Jun 2020 22:37 #172204 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
Clive, Thanks, I think I'll order one. I found if you install Mint on a windows formatted hdd it gave you the option to make it dual boot. You then make grub default to boot into Mint but can select that other awful OS from the boot menu.

And enjoy! I'm half a day ahead of you so am getting over the after affects of last night's nice meal and small drink!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2020 09:34 #172225 by Mike_Eitel
The w10 (not activated) version is in my eyes the best. Only from this version it has onboard flash and also the mounted cooler is realy nice. Plus quite silent. And the ability to define the max allowed power is nice too.
I will buy a m2 ssd, just to know as small ones are cheep and it will look cool ;-).
Thx rod with your hint of the dual boot. Anyhow just a press of F7 and choosing one of the many boot posibilities is easy. Internal plus external ssd. If not missunderstood 2x m2 disk, 3 usb plus pxe network.. So lots of choices.
Installing mint was a bit special as i was unsure and did not want to touch the w10 partition. And it was my first mint. Finaly used another pc to prepare hd. Think i could have simply switched of the internal disk. Bios is your friend.
This ami based bios gives you lots of choices.. I have not yet touched the part how to configure the pin headers and until now i have not yet found how they realized that switching between intel / samd in hw.
What i can tell is that after you install the board in arduino you can program via com (3 in my case).
Mike
Th
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
26 Jun 2020 17:06 #172807 by seuchato
Replied by seuchato on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

I just testet shortly the combination of that m2 to pcie adapter with an old multiport 1p4s card. It is recognized (cfg=0) and seems to work fine. Now i only have to screw a bit with the parameters to minimize latency. And learn a bit more how to use the buildin arduino for interface..
This little beast seems to be very flexible as brain of any cnc. ...

Mike: where did you get that "m2 to pcie adapter"?
greez chris

More
26 Jun 2020 17:40 #172809 by Mike_Eitel
Hi Chris
aliexpress.com/store/605305

Gave the detailed links alreay one page back #172187
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
27 Jun 2020 03:16 #172830 by seuchato
Replied by seuchato on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
Mike
My bad, foiling too fast all over the thread. Thanks a ton!
Greez
chris

More
27 Jun 2020 05:26 #172838 by Mike_Eitel
;-)
pleasure thx for the script
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
27 Jun 2020 06:38 #172839 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
This has been my goto for Small LinuxCNC builds and samb near anything else thats not a gaming PC or a workstation type machine.
Odroid H2

It had the same J4105 as the Seeed board and it's been out longer. There's a new revision that upgraded it to a J4115 that I suppose is a minor improvement. Probably slightly more expensive by the time you add RAM and storage as it uses Sodimms and has no soldered storage. It now comes with 2.5gb ethernet on both ports too, which I can't speak on as for Mesa cards and latency since I have the gigabit models. I can't stop buying the things, everytime they come in stock I buy like 2 or 3.

More
27 Jun 2020 08:01 #172841 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

This has been my goto for Small LinuxCNC builds and samb near anything else thats not a gaming PC or a workstation type machine.
Odroid H2

Thanks, It must be contagious. I ordered one. Not really cheap though with all the pieces....

More
27 Jun 2020 17:06 #172878 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
You didn't order the extras from Ameridroid did you? You can get NVME's, a power supply and ram cheaper on amazon . Really not much more than the seeed board. My last order looked like this
Ameridroid:
Odroid H2......$111 (price got raised to $134 when it was upgraded)
Amazon:
8gb DDR4.....$34
256gb NVME.....$36
15v power supply...$15

That's $219 now not including shipping. You can't really do better for less as far as new stuff is concerned. You don't actually need a fan, the heatsink is massive but I would suggest replacing the stock thermal compound with some arctic MX4 or other good paste, it makes a big difference

More
27 Jun 2020 18:01 #172893 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
Has anybody put linuxcnc on a m2 ssd on the seeed box as getting a standard ssd is a tight squeeze in the seeed case? It does fit but tight.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds