Computer to run Linux CNC

More
14 Jul 2020 22:39 #174668 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
You guys are making a Linux fanboi like me sad with all this Windows/Mac talk.

I'm a PC hardware nut, there's some sort of PC doing something in every room of my house. I used to use x11vnc with Remmina VNC client to get into all of them until something broke in all recent Debian based distros that completely bog VNC down. I switched to using nomachine with nomachine enterprise client installed on everything I need to get a desktop from. It's not "open source" but it doesn't cost anything and works well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2020 04:18 #174682 by Todd Zuercher
Any of you Fusion 360 fans ever try using it under Linux with Wine?

More
15 Jul 2020 04:29 #174684 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

Any of you Fusion 360 fans ever try using it under Linux with Wine?

I just assumed that would not work well but apparently it will run
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=15617

More
25 Aug 2020 18:06 #179432 by JKAVS
Replied by JKAVS on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
I'm looking for a computer to run LinuxCNC. I've been looking for used workstation PCs as they are well made and availability is good. Many of them seem to be small form factor though. I want full size PC to maximize expansion card compatibility.

I'm not sure what to buy. Some models seem to have latency issues. I've found latency measurement results from this forum but I'm not sure how to interpret them. What is a good latency? Are there any known good or common PC models that I should look for?

I could get a Dell Precision T3500 for 100 euros. It has Xeon W3503 and 6 GB DDR3 RAM.

More
25 Aug 2020 19:37 #179435 by tommylight
Are you going to be using parallel port or some of the Mesa boards for control ?
For parallel port control it very much depends on the speed of the steps required, but for some low speed applications i can use old laptops with latency up to 300000ns.
For Mesa boards, anything below 100000ns is good, but usable seems to be up to 300000ns.
That Dell should be good, but that is only based on the experience i have with optiplex series as they were very good for running machines and never fail.
Lately i am using a single Lenovo M93, two HP 8300(advice from PCW), and some other random stuff like Asrock and Asus boards, all of them work perfectly well with LinuxCNC, but leaning towards Fujitsu (not Fujitsu-Siemens) from advice of a friend who deals with PC's a lot as they have even laptops that work perfectly (tested with Mesa 7i92 for over 70 hours) and saying they never fail is an understatement .

More
28 Aug 2020 05:10 #179783 by JKAVS
Replied by JKAVS on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
I got that Dell. I'll make the latency tests and see if it is suitable. I have 30 days to return it if it doesn't fit.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds