Computer to run Linux CNC

More
27 Jun 2020 21:55 #172920 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Computer to run Linux CNC

You didn't order the extras from Ameridroid did you? You can get NVME's, a power supply and ram cheaper on amazon . Really not much more than the seeed board. My last order looked like this
Ameridroid:
Odroid H2......$111 (price got raised to $134 when it was upgraded)
Amazon:
8gb DDR4.....$34
256gb NVME.....$36
15v power supply...$15

That's $219 now not including shipping. You can't really do better for less as far as new stuff is concerned. You don't actually need a fan, the heatsink is massive but I would suggest replacing the stock thermal compound with some arctic MX4 or other good paste, it makes a big difference

I'm in Australia so in the AUD it looked like

jiffyshop.com.au/SBC/

So now I wait until the next batch arrives....
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2020 09:33 #173961 by rodw
Well my Odroid H2+ arrived and I like it!
I had Mint 19.3 handy on a USB stick so Installed it. The new 2.5gb ethernet NIC's were not supported so I had to download the .deb from the link on the Odroid website and installed with gdebi from a USB stick.

I then Ran TommyLight's quick and easy install scripts and PREMPT_RT came straight up. Latency is fine for a Mesa ethernet card (60,000-70,000 better than my current J1900 PC).. I remembered afterwards I should also test the latency without the USB wifi antenna plugged in.. It might make a difference.

More
11 Jul 2020 11:26 - 11 Jul 2020 11:28 #174295 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
Re the Seeed board. I have found it flawless.

Now the question. I have Win 10 on the internal disc that came with it and linuxcnc on a ssd.

Now I would like to get rid of the 2.5" ssd and get the M2 type BUT I would like to put Win 10 on the M2 and linuxcnc where the Win 10 was on the 64Gb internal .

Is it likely to get screwed to do that. I know I will have to reactivate win10

www.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105864-p-4447.html

files.seeedstudio.com/products/102110399...%20User%20manual.pdf
Last edit: 11 Jul 2020 11:28 by Clive S.

More
11 Jul 2020 12:03 #174297 by Mike_Eitel
I was on the same decision, also unsure..
I have lcnc on a m2 ssd in the sata-ssd slot. Halve for lcnc rest as data with fat32.
The other slot is filled by a pci prolongation, running a normal pci parport card.
Honestly, I'm looking for your expirience ;-) before revising my distribution. I wondered if there is a w10 iso by seeed, but they are in my eyes not well supporting the board. My request for how is made the connection between the two mcu's was not answered in forum. I think that f.x a tool changer, programmed in openplc and running on the samd, connected via modbus could be nice. Also this port is fare away from industrial emv protection.. Compared to mesa solutions...
Mike

More
11 Jul 2020 15:00 #174306 by Clive S

I have lcnc on a m2 ssd in the sata-ssd slot. Halve for lcnc rest as data with fat32.
The other slot is filled by a pci prolongation, running a normal pci parport card.
Honestly, I'm looking for your expirience ;-) before revising my distribution. I wondered if there is a w10 iso by seeed, but they are in my eyes not well supporting the board. My request for how is made the connection between the two mcu's was not answered in forum. I think that f.x a tool changer, programmed in openplc and running on the samd, connected via modbus could be nice. Also this port is fare away from industrial emv protection.. Compared to mesa solutions...
Mike

I have ordered a M2 Lexar® NM610 M.2 2280 NVMe 250GB SSD £42 inc del.

So I will try and use Clonzilla to save the win10 and then put linuxcnc in its place on the 64Gb bit if that works I will put win10 on the M2 card.

I will report back.

More
13 Jul 2020 13:23 #174505 by Clive S

Mike

I have ordered a M2 Lexar® NM610 M.2 2280 NVMe 250GB SSD £42 inc del.

So I will try and use Clonzilla to save the win10 and then put linuxcnc in its place on the 64Gb bit if that works I will put win10 on the M2 card.

I will report back.

I Cloned Win10 from the 64Gb to my Nas Drive then installed linuxcnc in its place and stuck a 120Gb ssd in the Seeed box and installed win10. That all works. Pressing F7 at boot time give you the option the boot Win or lcnc. also without pressing F7 it boots to the last known boot. I have not activated it yest as I am waiting for the 256Gb card to arrive.

I have not yest decided to go for a fresh install of Win10 or restore back from the nas drive.

I will report back the the card arrives. Probably Saturday

More
13 Jul 2020 13:40 #174508 by Mike_Eitel
Big THX.
My knowledge is that w10iot enterprise is a special version. Less junk in it.
And there are versions that can live without updates. Will find out businesswise somewhere in the next weeks, no time to search now.
I wan't to stick with it.

More
14 Jul 2020 00:56 #174560 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Computer to run Linux CNC
I just bought a new Ryzen laptop. I didn't even boot that windows garbage. I imaged the Windows SSD and stuck it on my NAS in case I have to send the laptop back or something....then I overwrote the NVME with Manjaro. Now the laptop is worth what I paid for it lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Jul 2020 08:07 #174588 by tommylight

I just bought a new Ryzen laptop. I didn't even boot that windows garbage. I imaged the Windows SSD and stuck it on my NAS in case I have to send the laptop back or something....then I overwrote the NVME with Manjaro. Now the laptop is worth what I paid for it lol.

Same here, except i do not image anything, just wipe and move on.

More
14 Jul 2020 08:38 #174589 by rodw
Grr, All of the work I have done almost eliminating Windows from my life, I subscribed to Fusion 360 today so now I need to buy a new Windowze PC

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds