Hardware latency tests, used PC's

More
19 Jun 2020 20:31 #172101 by seuchato
Wasn totally satisfied, also had some hickups when terminating using Ctrl-C. I is much better now. Still, sometimes the vimeo browser window has to be terminated manually.

Greez
chris

File Attachment:

File Name: lcnc-hw_20...19-4.zip
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2020 21:22 #172104 by tommylight
Here it always closes vimeo, never failed, despite having other firefox windows open.

More
19 Jun 2020 21:32 #172105 by seuchato
Thanks, but version -c is more stable. Kindly use this from now on.

I am going to use a free sata ssd over the weekend to dd the image of my dell 980 to it and get some reference data.

One thing I observed : whenever I did not trigger a base thread, the servo thread showed higher values, in the range of double values for the servo thread. Do you see something similar? Can that be reasonably explained?

Greez
chris

More
19 Jun 2020 21:37 #172107 by tommylight

Thanks, but version -c is more stable. Kindly use this from now on.

I am going to use a free sata ssd over the weekend to dd the image of my dell 980 to it and get some reference data.

One thing I observed : whenever I did not trigger a base thread, the servo thread showed higher values, in the range of double values for the servo thread. Do you see something similar? Can that be reasonably explained?

Greez
chris

I will kindly use the latest version for sure. :)
I thought i did notice something like that today, but i was doing a lot of other stuff while testing it, so left it for further investigation.

More
19 Jun 2020 21:53 #172108 by seuchato
Cheers! sipping a good Bordeaux before hitting the sack now. I really hope that there will be more people using it.

So: Nanu nanu
Till tomorrow
chris

More
19 Jun 2020 21:57 #172109 by tommylight

So: Nanu nanu
Till tomorrow

Yeah same here in about an hour or two or three ..... :)

More
20 Jun 2020 22:42 #172206 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
22 Sep 2020 01:14 #183218 by wiremonkey
Hello Tommy,
I have one of these Dell Optiplex 780, which I'm typing this message to you now on, via Linux Mint 19.3. I'm going to head down the path of using the Mesa 7i76E for a 3 axis CNC router setup with closed loop steppers. From what I'm reading, because the Mesa is using hardware stepper control, this machine should be plenty fast and stable enough for this.
Would you be willing to weigh in?
Cheers,
Tyler

More
22 Sep 2020 01:35 #183221 by BeagleBrainz
Download This perfectly suitable to use on a PC:
cnc.beaglebrainz.net/cdimage/cnc-19.3.0-...lus-uspace-64bit.iso

Write to a flash drive(no need to install), boot up and run in a terminal
latency-histogram --noabse

Take a screen shot and post that up.

If you are happy I can give instructions on how to install the kernel & packages that are exactly the same as on the ISO.
Or if you have nothing invested in your current Mint install you can install from the flash drive.

More
22 Sep 2020 03:01 - 22 Sep 2020 03:04 #183239 by wiremonkey

This is a Dell Optiplex 780 with 2GB RAM and 500GB HDD. Onboard video.

Here it is. I was running gears, youtube video streaming. This is running your linux from a usb stick. I can easily wipe out my current install of mint and replace with this, but I honestly don't know if these results are good or bad.

I fear this machine won't be adequate to deal with the very large g-code files I want to throw at it, 1.4million lines and up. I tried to open one of these large files, 35MB, in linuxcnc on this machine and it choked hard. To add to the burden on whatever PC I go with, I also want to be able to run g-code ripper autoleveling on these large files.

At this point, I'm happy to buy a snappier PC if I can first figure out whether or not Linuxcnc and gcode ripper autolevel will get me where I need to go. Any advice is very welcome.
Thank you,
Tyler
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 03:04 by wiremonkey.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds