LinuxCNC + Orange Pi (allwincnc)

More
07 Dec 2022 06:15 - 07 Dec 2022 06:52 #258789 by wzor
Are you not updating packages? They don't need to be updated!
Last edit: 07 Dec 2022 06:52 by wzor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2022 21:45 #259045 by 109jb
I have tried both ways, updating and not updating. So far no luck. I pretty much gave up until my new Orange Pi board arrives. I had the O-Pi in the house to do the backup, but when I couldn't get it to work I just restored the image I already had and put it back to work on the mill. Once the new board comes I'll try again.

More
29 Apr 2023 20:36 #270235 by Guglielmi
Hello, I bought a Orange PI 5 16Gb and I successfully installed (thanks to some users of this forum..) Armbian RT and linuxcnc.
Well, last step missing is connect GPIO to a interface board I self made and it's currently used with a RPI4.
Orange PI5 is much more performant so I would like to use in place of RPI.
With RPI I used the specific driver included in Linuxcnc 2.9 but I don't have an idea on how to do for OPI5.
I read about ARISC driver but seems not updated for OPI5.
Any hints? ARISC seems not included in default Linuxcnc installation, in order to try, what I have to do?

More
02 May 2023 18:19 #270500 by mwidlok
I've tried to install ARISC on OrangePi prime, with newest Armbian and RT-patched kernel, but failed. In fact I also tried to load any program to RISC core (even very simple test program), and that also did not worked - every time I've had a system freeze on boot. I'm afraid, that old methods will not work on new system, and it will require some work to get ARISC driver running again.

ARISC driver is a rather deep hack to a OrangePi, that uses more or less undocumented features of the processor. I don't think it will ever be included to mainline. To install it manually You need a compiled binary for a RISC core and u-boot script both placed in a /boot/ directory on SD card. I can help if You wish to try (I gave up and bought mesa :-().

More
02 May 2023 19:14 #270502 by Guglielmi
Why not to try?!
I know it takes time..
Well, I investigated these days and now I have doubts on which way to try (as first  )
1. Edit and try ARISC driver
2. Implement a new driver based on WiringOP

The first is a driver that works but sure with wrong addresses, references etc.. not sure I'm able to find a good reference and exchange what is wrong for new hardware.
The second way, maybe is more promising because I tested WiringOP and with OPI5 works to read and write IO, and it's in C, so if I will find a way to clean a C driver in a way I can use functions in HAL file, I'm pretty sure we can use functions from WiringOP classes..

I'm now searching on web or trying to clean an existing driver and get a good starting point.
I try to consider the Raspberry driver and ARISC and try the best base.
Can you help me on this?
Do you know where I can find documentation for create a C driver from scratch and build it?
By the way I was able to build a first prototype using HALCOMPILE and it generated a "so" file.
It was not working but most probably it should be cleaned more that I did...

More
02 May 2023 20:09 #270505 by wzor
The author wrote that it was a u-boot problem. And every time a new version of Armbian comes out, the u-boot changes!
The author wrote about it on the forum www.cnc-club.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16788.
That's it!

More
04 May 2023 10:25 #270623 by mwidlok
Guglielmi,
ARISC driver is a pair of 2 cooperating programs: arisc-hal is a portion that works with Linuxcnc as a real-time task, then You have arisc-fw that is a program for a separate RISC core in a Allwinner chip (I don't know if MX_Master implemented it for any other chip). RISC core works without operation system, and it's task is high-speed sampling/setting GPIO lines. That's why You only need ~1ms servo thread in Linuxcnc, no base thread.

Look at
github.com/allwincnc/linuxcnc/tree/master/src/hal/drivers/arisc
github.com/allwincnc/fw

First is the source for HAL portion, second is firmware for RISC core (You need different compiler for that one).

WiringPi/WiringOP access GPIO lines with normal operation system, so You need a very fast real-time base-thread in Linuxcnc, I think that this has already been done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guglielmi

More
04 May 2023 10:39 #270627 by mwidlok
Wzor,
I can not read Russian, but that is something that I was afraid of. This driver will need quite a lot of maintenance work just to keep it running. Also usage of RISC core is poorly documented.

I've tried to clean original code (both hal + risc) and even managed to get my version working with H3. However I've run into rather strange problems with GPIOs (one can not be driven from RISC, works with HAL). Also debugging RISC fw is in fact impossible.

More
05 May 2023 19:09 #270744 by Guglielmi
Thanks, in meanwhile I searched documentation and info about and I'm also convinced makes no sense as starting point for new implementation, too complex. Now I'm experimenting to use WiringOP in a simple driver because I'm convinced running it in the base thread should be enough performant. I have some issue to understand how to make a new C driver working but.. I will work on it. I open another post in HAL section for my issue.  GPIO for OPI5 .

If someone want to contribute, I'm pretty sure with OP5 using his GPIO the CNC works super fine.. at least for what I have to do 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rodm1

More
03 Jun 2023 19:18 #272832 by Rodm1
I just installed Armbian 3.11 on my OP LTS 3 what is required to install Linux CNC at this point? Must I download a Linux CNC file or can this be installed threw the terminal? Is the install similar to a install on Linux or different? 

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds