Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
04 Oct 2023 04:27 - 04 Oct 2023 04:31 #282241 by oficinerobotica

GeremyL has been doing some great physical testing of the DMA stepgen. Chasing down missing steps, with one theory being the lack of a direction setup time.

The ability to set the direction setup time is now available.
    {
    "Thread": "DMA",
    "Type": "DMAstepgen",
        "Comment":            "X - Joint 0 step generator",
        "Joint Number":        0,
        "Step Pin":         "P1_22",
        "Direction Pin":     "P1_17",
        "Step Length":        2,
        "Step Space":        3,
  "Dir Setup": 2
    },

Latest source has been pushed to the repo and a testing bin file as well.

Sorry to bother but in this repo github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...e/feature/DMAstepgen the source has been updated 3 hours ago but the Firmware directory has been updated a week ago. Does this mean that the compiled firmware is not yet up to date?
Last edit: 04 Oct 2023 04:31 by oficinerobotica.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2023 04:29 #282242 by scotta
Sorry, my bad. Firmware just pushed to the repo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oficinerobotica

More
04 Oct 2023 04:42 #282243 by oficinerobotica
Thank you so much scotta. You are really a godsend.
Given the pace of development i figured out I'll need a faster way of updating the firmware so I voided the waranty of my card by punching a hole through it's case lol.

Is there somewhere a diagram of the functioning IO of the ec500 dma for the current firmware?
Attachments:

More
04 Oct 2023 04:46 #282244 by scotta
Nice, mine sits on the bench naked.

No diagram as such, but the configuration file has the details. No changes with the DMA version. There is un-mapped inputs on the MPG header which I've had no luck tracing.

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...CNC/ec500-rt1052.txt

More
04 Oct 2023 17:09 #282300 by cncmiljc
Can the 1052 stepgen dma configuration be used to provide a basis for development with nvem to have a higher frequency?

More
04 Oct 2023 19:47 #282310 by chrstrvs
I just wrote a long message, that for whatever reason disappeared, so I'm going to make this short.

I'm starting over with a fresh install. I first installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) on my Pi 4b 4 Gb.
I then installed xrdp to be able to use the Pi headless, instead of the steps mentioned in the Remora documentation to enable VNC.
After that I followed the steps to install LinuxCNC until step 8, where you install the realtime kernel. At the end of the install I get the errors
Unpacking linux-image-4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ (4.19.71-rt24-v7l+-4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.19.71-rt24-v7l+_4.19.71-rt24-v7l+-4_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/boot/bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb', which is also in package raspberrypi-kernel 1:1.20230509~buster-1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.19.71-rt24-v7l+_4.19.71-rt24-v7l+-4_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

And after I try to reboot the Pi, it will not boot any more. I have tried twice with the same results.
Have I done something apparently wrong and/or does anyone know how I can fix this?

Kind regards,
Christian

More
04 Oct 2023 23:45 #282324 by cakeslob

GeremyL has been doing some great physical testing of the DMA stepgen. Chasing down missing steps, with one theory being the lack of a direction setup time.

{
    },

Can this be backported? It doesnt look like it should have to be DMA specific, but Im not too good with computers so I figured I would ask.

Also, saw you had a new repo for remora-nv docs, do you think we needed a whole new repo for the nv docs? I just figured we could jam all the nvem specific parts within the hadrware specific pages. the rest of it seems pretty much the same so it looked like we could do it all as one. Here is what I had so far for ethernet branch, I used it when I was setting up my pico-dlx board.
github.com/cakeslob/Remora-docs/tree/ethernet

More
05 Oct 2023 00:46 - 05 Oct 2023 00:57 #282330 by GeramyL

Can this be backported? It doesnt look like it should have to be DMA specific, but Im not too good with computers so I figured I would ask.

Also, saw you had a new repo for remora-nv docs, do you think we needed a whole new repo for the nv docs? I just figured we could jam all the nvem specific parts within the hadrware specific pages. the rest of it seems pretty much the same so it looked like we could do it all as one. Here is what I had so far for ethernet branch, I used it when I was setting up my pico-dlx board.
https://github.com/cakeslob/Remora-docs/tree/ethernet

You mean ported to the Software Step Gen?
They don't use the same principals, software step gen doesnt use buffers its not the same. I had a huge explanation but to put it simply, the problem with adding Step Length, Direction Setup and Step Space inside the software step gen is that it will slow all the program down, meaning 40khz wont be 40khz anymore. So not really compatible, it could be made more compatible but we arn't using RTOS or some sort of Operating System that can switch between threads and execute other code, if we did than it would be possible, i'm working on a port to Azure RTOS with scott but I hit a few snags and getting this DMA Step Gen firmware version done first and stable, is higher priority.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2023 00:57 by GeramyL.

More
05 Oct 2023 06:49 #282340 by scotta

Can the 1052 stepgen dma configuration be used to provide a basis for development with nvem to have a higher frequency?

The great news is that all of the RT1052 boards will benefit from this work. So the NVEM, EC300 and EC500 will be 500khz capable :-)

More
05 Oct 2023 06:52 #282341 by scotta

{
    },

https://github.com/cakeslob/Remora-docs/tree/ethernet

Unfortunately DMA dependent.

I'll have a look at your doc repo. When I was looking at how best to integrate into the existing docs, it seemed to me the hardware side of things is quite different, but as you said the LinuxCNC and config is relatively the same. Just playing with ideas but will first look at your WIP before progressing any further.

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds