Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
09 Oct 2023 19:27 #282639 by GeramyL

Hey, Scott (or any volunteer)!

Have you had the time to look at my config files that are causing the following errors? I use the remora-nvem-basic config from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tree/main/LinuxCNC, also attached to this message.

Can you please share your .txt file you have uploaded to your board and also what is your ping response time?
It helps to add PGAIN to your hal file and .ini file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2023 21:28 - 09 Oct 2023 21:33 #282643 by rbobey1989
Hello GeremyL, you talked about pins but I don't understand you, XD-, YP-...... are outputs of the am26ls31c differential line driver, this ic has 4 inputs and 4 pairs of differential outputs, therefore this ic convert GPIO_AD_B1_06 ( pad of rt1052) in XD+ and XD-, the GPIO1 module can be connected in this pad through GPIO1_IO22(that is X_DIR_PIN), then XD-, YP-..... are not direct pins of rt1052 GPIO_AD_B1_06 yes it is, So if you have problems with the negative differential signals, I would look for the problem in the line drivers ic. Furthermore, to use these pads as input pins you have to modify the hardware, which does not seem attractive to me, greetings
Last edit: 09 Oct 2023 21:33 by rbobey1989.

More
10 Oct 2023 02:21 - 10 Oct 2023 02:33 #282659 by GeramyL

Hello GeremyL, you talked about pins but I don't understand you, XD-, YP-...... are outputs of the am26ls31c differential line driver, this ic has 4 inputs and 4 pairs of differential outputs, therefore this ic convert GPIO_AD_B1_06 ( pad of rt1052) in XD+ and XD-, the GPIO1 module can be connected in this pad through GPIO1_IO22(that is X_DIR_PIN), then XD-, YP-..... are not direct pins of rt1052 GPIO_AD_B1_06 yes it is, So if you have problems with the negative differential signals, I would look for the problem in the line drivers ic. Furthermore, to use these pads as input pins you have to modify the hardware, which does not seem attractive to me, greetings

Thank you very much rbobey1989, I haven’t had the time to investigate the IC chip or circuit much. I dont know if anything is exactly wrong with the IC chips they are probably fine, but to me it seems a little weird they would do it like this and I dont think my drivers like it very much, they are very high quality drivers so not sure if its quality or compatibility that I’m seeing non existing haha.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2023 02:33 by GeramyL.

More
10 Oct 2023 17:01 #282691 by chrstrvs

Have you had the time to look at my config files that are causing the following errors? I use the remora-nvem-basic config from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tree/main/LinuxCNC, also attached to this message.

Can you please share your .txt file you have uploaded to your board and also what is your ping response time?

Sure! The config is attached. I have tried with both the nvem-basic-config.txt and nvem-full-config.txt, but the result is the same.

This is the respons time:
PING 10.10.10.10 (10.10.10.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.331 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.262 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0.298 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=0.268 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=0.296 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=0.267 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=0.258 ms

How would one go about adding PGAIN?
Attachments:

More
10 Oct 2023 20:43 #282702 by scotta

Hi, I've had a look at your config files and they are identical to mine, and I can run with a 1000% feed override without following errors....

Now I'm really scratching my head to understand what could be going on. Do you have the serial debug output connected? It would be interesting to see if there are any issues on the board.

More
10 Oct 2023 20:45 #282703 by scotta
Ping response times are longer than I'm getting though, averaging around 0.17ms. Do you have a router in between the NVEM and computer?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Oct 2023 01:38 #282717 by GeramyL

Sure! The config is attached. I have tried with both the nvem-basic-config.txt and nvem-full-config.txt, but the result is the same.

This is the respons time:
PING 10.10.10.10 (10.10.10.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.331 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=0.262 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0.298 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=0.268 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=0.296 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=0.267 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.10.10: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=0.258 ms

How would one go about adding PGAIN?

I would lookup on linuxcnc about the mesa cards and how to optimize your ping time with a mesa card, that should help you. Please respond back with your ethernet chipset too please. Sometimes with intel ethernet cards you need to disable things like buffers and hardware acceleration. I also had a problem with my ping times, I upgraded to the newest debian and newest linux real time kernel but the one provided by linuxcnc which is 3.10 and I get around 0.14ms to 0.17ms. also removed a lot of background services. I first recommend getting that ping time down. That will hurt you a lot as it did me. The next one is get the pgain added to your configs so you can reduce some of that ferror enough to be happy your machine moves at least.

More
11 Oct 2023 14:54 #282753 by chrstrvs

Hi, I've had a look at your config files and they are identical to mine, and I can run with a 1000% feed override without following errors....

Now I'm really scratching my head to understand what could be going on. Do you have the serial debug output connected? It would be interesting to see if there are any issues on the board.

Let me explain exactly what I have done. Maybe you can spot something that I've done wrong.
- Full chip erase on NVEM using STM32 ST-LINK Utility
- Flash NVEM with Remora-NVEM-STM32-1.0.0.bin from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tree/main/Firmware using STM32 ST-LINK Utility
- Install Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) 32 bit
- Install LinuxCNC and realtime Kernel according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi
- Copy github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...es/remora-nvem-basic to /home/pi/linuxcnc/configs
- Copy github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...Components/Remora-nv to /home/pi/linuxcnc/components
- Install remora-nv component using
sudo halcompile --install remora-nv.c
- Install pyocd using
pip3 install pyocd
- Write config to NVEM using
python3 upload_config.py config.txt

And that's it I think. Can you spot anything I might have done wrong?

I do not have the serial debug output connected, but I can do that if there is a guide I can follow. Do you happen to have one?

Ping response times are longer than I'm getting though, averaging around 0.17ms. Do you have a router in between the NVEM and computer?

No router. 2 meter cable directly from the Pi to the NVEM. Is the response time high enough to cause these errors you think?

More
11 Oct 2023 18:27 #282766 by GeramyL

Let me explain exactly what I have done. Maybe you can spot something that I've done wrong.
- Full chip erase on NVEM using STM32 ST-LINK Utility
- Flash NVEM with Remora-NVEM-STM32-1.0.0.bin from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tree/main/Firmware using STM32 ST-LINK Utility
- Install Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) 32 bit
- Install LinuxCNC and realtime Kernel according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi
- Copy github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...es/remora-nvem-basic to /home/pi/linuxcnc/configs
- Copy github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...Components/Remora-nv to /home/pi/linuxcnc/components
- Install remora-nv component using
sudo halcompile --install remora-nv.c
- Install pyocd using [code]pip3 install pyocd
- Write config to NVEM using [code]python3 upload_config.py config.txt

And that's it I think. Can you spot anything I might have done wrong?

I do not have the serial debug output connected, but I can do that if there is a guide I can follow. Do you happen to have one? [img]/media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png[/img]
[/code][/code]

[code][code]Ping response times are longer than I'm getting though, averaging around 0.17ms. Do you have a router in between the NVEM and computer?

No router. 2 meter cable directly from the Pi to the NVEM. Is the response time high enough to cause these errors you think?
[/code][/code]

As the response time becomes worse it changes the amount of pre-anticipation the linuxcnc software has to take in the algorithm hence PGain in order to make up for it. High ping time can cause ferror, but also can not having enough response time from the cpu on linuxcnc itself. I highly recommend you make sure your linuxcnc setup is correct and your following all recommendations by linuxcnc, also older kernels are slower and have worse response time in the real time kernel, so if linuxcnc has a timer thats supposed to go off every 1ms and the raspberrypi cpu timer goes off at 1.1ms and then the response time on the board is 0.3ms or up to 0.6ms now you are 1.13 to 1.16ms out of sync.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrstrvs

More
11 Oct 2023 20:00 - 11 Oct 2023 20:01 #282768 by PCW
If the step generator works like the Mesa step generator
(basically a velocity command  servo loop), you can compensate
for the time between position read and new velocity write
with the PID loops FF2 term (you set it to the time between
read and write in seconds, so if you have 100 usec between
read and write, you set FF2 to 0.0001)
Last edit: 11 Oct 2023 20:01 by PCW.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds