Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
26 Aug 2022 06:43 #250491 by scotta
Would 200 - 250khz be a reasonable step rate? I discoverd that clearing of the buffers (memset) was consuming more time than the step calculations for the 6 axes. So if we can use DMA to clear the buffers the step calculations take less than half a servo period, so still time to do Ethernet communications etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwarup, Murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2022 09:25 #250500 by tommylight
I would think yes, most good quality stepper drives have 200kHz as the maximum rate.
At some point/speed the cabling becomes an issue, but since the drives are on the same board, not an issue in this use case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwarup

More
26 Aug 2022 14:56 #250516 by kwarup
Please Yes..

More
27 Aug 2022 15:54 #250581 by CBollweg

Thanks for the photo, you have the later board which is great. Also great to hear the serial communication with the NVPMG is working correctly. I think I need to put some jumpers over some of the additional components on my board to get it to work.

The config and nvmpg hal file on github need to be updated with the correct pinout for the EC500. Not sure if this is what is causing it but it's the first step in solving the issue. I'll look to update over the coming days, but you can check your config with the following pinout.

Hi Scott, 
Can you please explain to me again how and where I should change the config.txt so that the EC500 runs smoothly with the nvmpg?

Thanks in advance

Christian

More
28 Aug 2022 00:02 #250597 by scotta
Hi Christian,

I've check the EC500-full-config.txt and found an error that my (or may not) be the cause. In the AIN input, the pin was wrongly set as PC_1 where it should be PD_1. This has been corrected in the repo now.

PC_1 is actually used for the Ethernet, not sure if this was the cause. I still need to get my serial working to test further.

More
28 Aug 2022 23:08 - 28 Aug 2022 23:12 #250662 by kwarup
I would like to thank Scott for his great contribution giving us the Remora Nvem .. for me it is working at a rate of 48khz perfectly.
Attached are the machine settings..
With some changes  (I don't know if they are valid) , the realtime problem has been solved.
I would like if one of you could evaluate attached files because I don't know if I've done right.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2022 23:12 by kwarup.

More
28 Aug 2022 23:44 #250665 by scotta
Hi, thanks but how are your setting the Base Thread frequency? From the HAL file or by compiling?

Note that PRU_BASEFREQ must be the same in both the LinuxCNC component (or from the loadrt command) AND in the firmware otherwise your frequency scaling / speeds will be wrong.

More
29 Aug 2022 11:55 - 29 Aug 2022 12:26 #250683 by kwarup
I just have recompiled the component not the firmware.. that's why I've asked if what I have done is ok.

I will try to recompile de firmware.. with 100khz at least or 80khz .. and try .

thank you

Hi, thanks but how are your setting the Base Thread frequency? From the HAL file or by compiling?

Note that PRU_BASEFREQ must be the same in both the LinuxCNC component (or from the loadrt command) AND in the firmware otherwise your frequency scaling / speeds will be wrong.

Last edit: 29 Aug 2022 12:26 by kwarup. Reason: Formating error

More
29 Aug 2022 15:02 #250688 by CBollweg

Hi Christian,

I've check the EC500-full-config.txt and found an error that my (or may not) be the cause. In the AIN input, the pin was wrongly set as PC_1 where it should be PD_1. This has been corrected in the repo now.

PC_1 is actually used for the Ethernet, not sure if this was the cause. I still need to get my serial working to test further.

Hi Scott, still the same. Without nvmpg it works. With nvmpg on it shows the coordinates but goes in estop as soon as i push any button. After this the terminal says the connetction to the card is lost. Any idea?

More
29 Aug 2022 18:27 #250715 by kwarup
Hi Scott, 
After cloning Remora-novusum from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-Novusun
and compiled the project without any modification in all 3 platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows11) the result is a file greater in size than the same file in the Firmware Folder.. 
After the compilation the file was uploaded to the Novusun NVEM and in all 3 files from each OS ( Mac, windows and linux) neither one worked, the Novusun has no IP-Address  and and for that, impossible to ping the board
Is there any trick or anything that I'm not seeing?

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds