Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
08 Sep 2022 21:36 #251521 by scotta

Guys, new NVEMs has a new scheme and a new main chip - iMX RT1052.

Thanks for sharing. This confirms the move away from STM chips (probably due to shortages) and that the EC300 that I've purchased will have the same. With the MAPBGA package reverse engineering the circuit is going to be fun....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2022 22:32 #251524 by scotta
MX_Master, is there an available programming / debug pads on the back? Any experience with the NXP? Which programming adaptor? Back on the learning curve again...

More
09 Sep 2022 11:25 #251544 by kwarup
www.nxp.com/design/software/development-...ion#design-resources

MX_Master, is there an available programming / debug pads on the back? Any experience with the NXP? Which programming adaptor? Back on the learning curve again...

More
09 Sep 2022 15:19 #251551 by MX_Master

This photo (new NVEM board) isn't mine. It's other guy's controller. He gave me some other photos, but there's no photos of the PCB's back. I think new board has a debug pins too. Why not? I have no NXP experience. But this chip has a 600MHz CPU, so your project can run faster on it (120MHz vs 600MHz).

More
09 Sep 2022 18:13 #251559 by RogEnk
Hi Scott, took delivery of a V5 today and can confirm it has programming pads on the back, and has the iMXRT1052 chip.

Anything I can do to assist when I get my ST Link tomorrow?

Rog.

More
09 Sep 2022 22:18 #251576 by scotta
Hi Rog, an NVEM v5? Some good photos of both sides of the board would help to start to figure out the traces back to the MCU.

Unfortunately, a ST-Link won't work with this board I think. I've ordered a J-link OB hoping that this will be useable for programming.

More
09 Sep 2022 22:21 #251577 by scotta
MX_Master, 

Thanks for the additional photos. These give some insights to the mystery chip. The RC16 is a FeRAM I2C device, which they must be using to store the axis limitations.

The RT1052 uses external Flash, which is the W25Q32JV IC. I think connecting to the board and managing the external flash will be the first learning curve with this MCU.

community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/RT1050-QSPI...32JV-3-3V/m-p/904534

Which PHY is onboard?

More
09 Sep 2022 22:48 #251578 by RogEnk
Here you go Scott.
I can upload to a web site of mine if you need higher quality too.
Will Get a J-Link OB ordered if Amazon do them too.

Rog.
Attachments:

More
09 Sep 2022 23:12 #251581 by scotta
Thanks Rog, this should be a start and confirmed my fear that they have moved to a multi-layer board so some traces are buried. Hopefully there is enough visible to allow deduction of what we cannot see which looks to be the IO so we could figure this out using software once the board can be programmed.

Interesting to see the mystery IC chip as well as the RC16 FeRAM...

Possible to get a clear image of the PHY. It looks to be the same as the earlier NVEM's but it would be good to know.

Hopefully the pins / pads for the NVEM are close or the same as the EC300. At least using the same MCU dev work done on the EC300 should benefit the NVEM.

More
09 Sep 2022 23:19 #251582 by RogEnk
Looked at J-Link OB and very quickly realized I am out of my depth!
Happy to invest if it helps, any recommendations Scott?

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds