Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
19 May 2023 16:30 #271679 by Guglielmi
Hi, this is my latency test with wifi active:

and this without wifi:

Impressive!
To be honest I never tried to activate videos or other stuff, just 6 Glxgears because the OPI5 in my case will run only LinuxCNC.. 
I need a stable reference in order to understand the best setup.
Here I would exagerate   isolating all bigger cores...

In order to use GPIOs I can provide the driver that it's currently working on my side but as I wrote I tested only one channel with oscilloscope.
I will not use BOB interface but I will build on my own, so I need some days more to create pcb and try with hardware.
After that I will share here.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2023 17:37 #271681 by echristley
Wanting to see a motor move this century, I'm going to avoid building my own. I bought a BOB from Amazon. No documentation and very suspect electronics. Cold solder joints. A capacitor that looks like it fell on the board during manufacture.

I think the fastest way to the finish line, and still have use of the ethernet port, would be a "7C80 RPI interfaced Step&dir plus I/O interface".

Can anyone suggest if that would be the way to get an OPi5 to control three steppers and two fluid pumps?

More
19 May 2023 19:24 #271684 by echristley
Wanting to duplicate Guglielmi's performance, I played a little with isolcpus. 2,4-7 resulted in a unusably slow UI. Starting Firefox took almost a minute.
"2,5-7" is passably usable, and results in the below with a video running, and me editing this post:

Attachments:

More
19 May 2023 19:33 #271685 by echristley
More testing.
Why do we run glxgears? It doesn't seem to make a difference at all in the latency. If I have six running, and start the histogram, I get the same result as if I have none. The big hits are when I move windows around in the UI or start a video.

Could it be that the animation just isn't a big hit on the OPi5 like it is other architectures?

More
19 May 2023 19:48 #271687 by tommylight
Resize one of the glxgears window several times, then you might see why we use it. :)

More
19 May 2023 19:48 #271688 by rodw
install and run htop.
Run it with a latency test
It shows the CPU utilisation on each core
You should see the CPU load increase each time you add a glxgear
On another 6 core ARM, it was fine up to about 8 sessions then a core maxed out @ 100% then latency increased if you added more

More
19 May 2023 20:11 #271692 by echristley
htop showing cpus 0,1,2 at 95-100% utilization. 6 glxgears.  The rest at zero.  Glxgears going from default to full screen and back.  editing this post.  video to full screen and back.  the little blips out on the end of the servo thread show up when I'm restoring the tab in FF that is running the video.  The UI is draggy, but picks up when I drop down to 3 glxgears.
Again, the glxgears don't seem to contribute to the latency.  Starting apps does, though.  I've ordered a flash drive.  I'm hoping that will eliminate even the blips.
Note, this histogram had six gears running until I checked to see how many to drop to get performance back.

Attachments:

More
19 May 2023 20:51 #271693 by Guglielmi
echristley,

Can anyone suggest if that would be the way to get an OPi5 to control three steppers and two fluid pumps?

I was looking for a board and I was oriented to buy this:
MESA 7196S

I think it's a good compromise, at least it doesn't cost $250.. 
Finally I decided to build (with CNC itself ..) as I already did for my RPI4, current controller for my CNC.
I don't know if RPI will be happy to build the new board for OPI5 that will replace it.. but.. 

More
19 May 2023 21:35 #271696 by echristley
The only thing is the MESA 7i96S will occupy the ethernet port.

Has anyone ever run the 7i96S through a small switch? Then it would work for me.

More
19 May 2023 22:47 #271699 by tommylight

Has anyone ever run the 7i96S through a small switch? Then it would work for me.

I did run a Mesa 7i92 through a switch for several days.
Still, never ever run a machine through a switch. For testing it is OK, but some switches will just not work due to latency they invoke.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds