Small victory in the war against the Cincinnati cinturn 12u

More
26 Oct 2022 08:52 #255083 by andypugh
To add a component to HAL, you just edit it into the HAL file. No need to compile anything.
{lots of "loadrt" lines}

loadrt carousel pockets=8 ....{options to be determined}

{probably some more "loadrt lines"}
{a block of "addf" lines}

addf carousel.0  servo-thread

{probably more "addf lines"}
{existing HAL commands}

net tool-number iocontrol.0.tool-prepare-pocket => carousel.0.pocket
net unclamp iocontrol.0.tool-change => hm2_{i have forgotten the board}.output-001
net ready-to-turn hm2_{boardname}.input-001 => carousel.0.enable
net motor-on carousel.0.motor-fwd  => hm2_{board}.output-002
net all-done carousel.0.ready => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared
net ignore-m6-itself iocontrol.0.tool-change => iocontrol.0.tool-changed

There will be details such as encoding and which IO pins are used to be ironed out, but it is just like connecting wires, this signal goes there, and this signal indicates success to here...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2022 10:01 #255087 by tommylight
Have you seen this
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32784...ofit?start=60#254725
Have a look, maybe something there helps.
I had the same feeling the tool changer is gona be very hard to figure out without any info, but it wan not that hard, did take quite some time to reverse engineer the wiring though and figuring out what is controlled by hydraulics and what by electronics.
Now it all seems very simple ... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
26 Oct 2022 17:51 #255115 by smc.collins
just putting it into the hal file runs contrary to what I've read, not saying your wrong. 

I'll post up my config with this addition later, you tell me if I'm stupid. 

strangely i was able.to.compile carousel.so , which, leave me more baffled. 

More
26 Oct 2022 18:23 #255117 by andypugh

just putting it into the hal file runs contrary to what I've read, not saying your wrong. 

Well, I did write the carousel component, so have a decent idea of how it works. 

strangely i was able.to.compile carousel.so , which, leave me more baffled.

Oh, you can, but it is included as a standard part of LinuxCNC, so there is no need to.

And even if you do compile it, you still need to add it to the HAL file.

More
26 Oct 2022 19:53 #255125 by smc.collins
Ahhh, ok, That's what I couldn't get a answer on with the Goggle FU, Carousel is built in now. You know how hard that information is to actually search for ???? Cool. I will get that configuration going tonight, had a fun day of putting the ball screw back together. At least in the 1970s everyone used generic sized ball bearings for everything. Very easy to get .250000 sorted 51200 chrome steel ball bearings for the screw. Thankfully got all the balls in and charged properly, smooth as silk now, no noticeable preload, and no measurable lash in my tenth indicator !. the old balls actually looked kinda oblong on the micrometer so finding a broken casting, though highly aggravating, might have been a blessing in disguise, may replace the balls in the Z next. Also the keyway for the servo timing pulley was beat into a nice taper and very out of shape, so putting in a new key, broaching new slot for a step key and tightening that up to. I hope it''ll help reduce motor oscillation at the very least it should reduce errors on fast transient acceleration moves. 

. I'll post up my config after I add the carousel wiring and get your feedback. 

More
26 Oct 2022 21:12 #255134 by andypugh
The list of all included HAL components can be found here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/
Look under "Commands and userspace components" for user-space components and "Realtime components and kernel modules" for the realtime components.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
26 Oct 2022 21:42 - 26 Oct 2022 21:54 #255139 by smc.collins
the tool changer itself isn't very complicated. I have already manually manipulated it now, so my understanding of it's function is very good. The issue is my understanding of linuxcnc is significantly less good. There seems to be a lot of reply on how to do things, that assume a lot of specific prior knowledge of linuxcnc guts. and RTFM is not the appropriate answer. I am reading the manual, I find it to be overly documented and poorly organized. There's little in the manual that really gives a solid outline of how to go from "I need to configure a tool changer" to the steps required to do so. After I get through this process, I fully intend on writing a few posts on how to configure linuxcnc that will hopefully help other newcomers. 

Basically, treat me as if I am a monkey who eats a banana with his feet and slings poop on the wall. Seriously. and RTFM is not a viable or helpful  answer, the manual is written in a way that assumes that a person knows linux and EMC very well. Manual states " use terminal" nobody want's to use terminal but die hard linux users and programmers. I'm like most people, I just want my machines to work, without having to write a thesis
Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 21:54 by smc.collins.

More
26 Oct 2022 23:18 #255153 by arvidb

Manual states " use terminal" nobody want's to use terminal but die hard linux users and programmers. I'm like most people, I just want my machines to work, without having to write a thesis

Sadly, the fact that you want a nice GUI for your toolchanger configuration doesn't make one magically appear. (You are obviously very welcome to write one yourself and share it!)

Basically, treat me as if I am a monkey who eats a banana with his feet and slings poop on the wall. Seriously. and RTFM is not a viable or helpful answer, the manual is written in a way that assumes that a person knows linux and EMC very well.

So in other words, you want someone to read the manual for you, figure out how everything applies to your specific machine, and give you step-by-step instructions so you don't have to think? Drop the entitled attitude. Seriously. It's okay to ask for help, obviously, but don't assume by default that people will do the work for you.

/*rant off*/
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Oct 2022 21:37 #255247 by andypugh
I have told you what to put in the HAL file.

Did it work?

If not, give is the error message or problem description.

This will be an iterative process.

More
27 Oct 2022 22:27 #255254 by smc.collins
The question I keep asking is, put what specifically into what file ? Copy the contents of the carousel comp into the hal file ? copy what you posted ?. I have no problem running down the iterative process, but I need a bit more direction with regards to what goes where and what specifically we are moving to and fro.

You are giving me directions as if you are giving yourself direction IE you have a specific knowledge base I do not share, and your instructions are lacking pertinent details.

I go through this with training new technicians myself, I forget they don't know most of what I know. I want to learn my way around, but a 975 page manual that doesn't have a clear direction to it isn't specifically helpful. As I said, once I have a better understanding of the process's used inside linux CNC I will personally write some basic introductory text book style teaching material, like I used to when I worked for a tier 1 OEM as a technical services trainer.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds