ColorCNC Colorlight 5A-75E/5A-75B as FPGA controller board

More
17 Nov 2022 11:07 #256927 by sensille
Right, for multiple cards it makes a difference. With two rv901t (or one rv901t and one 5a-75) it would be possible to use one for input and one for output. This way no modification to the hardware would be needed.
Regarding EtherCat, it looks like it is harder to implement on the host side, it would at least need raw sockets. The colorlight hardware should be able to handle it.

I have a question regarding the HAL configuration. How do you generate it? Write it from scratch by hand? Or modify a mesa config? Do you already run your machine on Litex-CNC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2022 16:27 #256938 by romanetz
Linuxcnc already has an ethercat driver, so we don't need to implement a master, just the slave

More
17 Nov 2022 19:45 #256954 by sensille

Linuxcnc already has an ethercat driver, so we don't need to implement a master, just the slave

nice. With the 2 ports of the colorlights it would even be possible to cut out the switch when chaining.

More
17 Nov 2022 21:49 #256965 by TOLP2

Right, for multiple cards it makes a difference. With two rv901t (or one rv901t and one 5a-75) it would be possible to use one for input and one for output. This way no modification to the hardware would be needed.
Regarding EtherCat, it looks like it is harder to implement on the host side, it would at least need raw sockets. The colorlight hardware should be able to handle it.

I have a question regarding the HAL configuration. How do you generate it? Write it from scratch by hand? Or modify a mesa config? Do you already run your machine on Litex-CNC?

At this moment I do that by hand, but have included some stubs for the HAL-file here on the forum and also partly on the GitHub-repo. At this moment I am producing the boards. In that repository I also put examples on how to do wire these boards in the HAL.

Today something to celebrate: the first two boards (PCB) have been sent for prototype production.

More
18 Nov 2022 08:27 #257018 by muvideo
In the past I have asked litex guys info about an option to daisy-chain boards running litex,
this could open possibilities with current drivers and litex, the response was positive but the problem
seem to be the effort to put in this new feature was not a priority back then:
github.com/enjoy-digital/liteeth/issues/103
Unfortunately I don't have much time and knowledge to help in this regard.

More
19 Nov 2022 20:44 #257121 by rodw

NO it won't becuse ethercat is subject to licensing so you'd need to embed a LAN2952 chip which has the appropriate licensing, have a company, and become a member of the ethercat society.

You might be able to use an ethercat click module but it would likely be a pretty big development project.

More
20 Nov 2022 06:33 #257145 by romanetz
Well, it seems to me that nobody can forbid me to learn the technology and make an open-source implementation without having to obtain the ethercat membership?

More
20 Nov 2022 12:21 #257160 by rodw

Well, it seems to me that nobody can forbid me to learn the technology and make an open-source implementation without having to obtain the ethercat membership?

Well you would be in breach of licence agreements and copyright and you would be exposed to legal action by a large well resourced gobal  organisation. It could become expensive....

More
20 Nov 2022 15:19 #257164 by PCW
An independent slave implementation should not violate any copyrights,
but it would certainly violate EtherCAT patents.

Note that the Primary EtherCAT patents will expire soon (in the next few years)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Nov 2022 21:59 #257180 by TOLP2
Let us focus in this thread to the development of a LinuxCNC dirver for the Etherbone protocol and not deviate into grey areas .

At this moment I've developed three BOBs for the HUB-75 ports:
  • Sinking input (GPIO in, slow encoders)
  • Sourcing output (GPIO out, PWM)
  • Differential stepgen (up to 400 kHz step frequency)
From the repository one can download all KiCad schematics and production files (Gerber). For people from Western Europe I also included a list where all parts can be ordered (Reichtelt, non-affiliate).When you decide to build the boards yourself and use Mouser or DigiKey, please share your list with me, so other users can benefit from it as well.

For these boards I have some questions:
  • any suggestions on functions? At this moment I'm looking into a BOB for a fast encoder (up to 1 MHz) and a BOB for a bit more heavy GPIO out, which can be used for a heatbed or extruder like component.
  • I was considering to put these boards on PcbWay, which would be an affiliate link. Has anybody experience with this, and would it be acceptable within this community. One is always free to upload the production files to any PCB-producer of their liking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: besriworld

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds