Mesa hm2/hm2_7i96s.0: error finishing read

More
17 Nov 2023 12:27 #285735 by spumco

Now I'm getting errors trying to remove the driver.

What command did you run? It does not show.

sudo apt purge r8168-dkms

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2023 12:30 #285736 by spumco

Now I'm getting errors trying to remove the driver.

How and from where did you install this version?
It is an older version of Debian 12 with some issues, namely looking for raspi stuff on an AMD build!
You can fix it by searching for "raspi" and deleting all 3 files it finds, then update and upgrade as usual.

Got it from the main downloads page on linuxcnc.com

More
17 Nov 2023 12:35 #285737 by spumco
I'll have another go using the doc Rod linked this evening.

Failing that, the next PC to try out should be here Monday.

More
17 Nov 2023 14:47 #285742 by chris@cnc
Hello, I'm also trying something on this topic. I have the 6.6. kernel not built with the Debian standard configuration. I don't have a Realtek card to test with. If you want, you can try out this kernel. I'm curious to see if he has improved with realtek.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HceAcPQd...u4zS9?usp=drive_link

More
17 Nov 2023 14:51 #285743 by spumco

Hello, I'm also trying something on this topic. I have the 6.6. kernel not built with the Debian standard configuration. I don't have a Realtek card to test with. If you want, you can try out this kernel. I'm curious to see if he has improved with realtek.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HceAcPQd...u4zS9?usp=drive_link

Is this link just for a replacement RT kernel?

If so, is there a particular Debian distribution and/or ISO you suggest I start with?

More
17 Nov 2023 15:49 - 17 Nov 2023 16:27 #285750 by PCW
Just a random data point:

Tried the 2.9.1 ISO on a Zotac CI323 (Intel 3150 +RTL8168)
and it works without Ethernet latency issues. which make me wonder
what's going on with RealTek, are the problems related to the exact chip used?

I may buy a Elite 800 G2  to test the I219

Last edit: 17 Nov 2023 16:27 by PCW.

More
17 Nov 2023 16:00 #285751 by chris@cnc
Yes it is rt kernel. I built on the standard bookworm installation and Intel Cpu. I not try any other distro / iso. Since bookworm is the installation pretty easy. Load debian netinstall file -> write to stick -> and go. Plug and pray :) more or less In future time i will also try other distro. Should work for AMD too, but not Raspberry.
But for now i am really happy with my set up. Hp G3 SSF I5 with intel networkcard and old AMD graphics card. I disable on board graphics and network. Since this is tmax to hm2_7i76e is straigt on 340000 middle sometimes tmax by 450000 if i open Browser.

The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
17 Nov 2023 16:22 #285753 by spumco

Just a random data point:

Tried the 2.9.1 ISO on a Zotac CI323 (Intel 3150 +RTL8168)
and it works without latency issues. which make me wonder whats going
on with RealTek, are the problems related to the exact chip used?

I may buy a Elite 800 G2  to test the I219

Possibly, but keep in mind that my last test was likely invalid as I think I installed the wrong/bad ISO - based on Tommy & Rods comments.

I'll try again tonight and be very deliberate about exactly which ISO I burn and follow Rod's document to the letter.  If that doesn't work I'll try with @chris@cnc's 6.6 kernel and see how that behaves.

One of, or perhaps the, significant hurdles is that I simply don't have much (any) knowledge of 'backstage' computer & network goings-on.  Plus I'm a life-time Windows user struggling with Linux quirks.  There may be something I'm doing wrong but don't even know enough to mention it.

The thing that seems fishy to me is that both PC's are behaving in a similar manner while watching packet read-time in halscope.  Good (I think) read times with random spikes.  To my untrained eye the two halscope plots could be interchangeable... but the underlying problems are not supposedly caused by the same thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 Nov 2023 19:47 #285771 by rodw
When following my doc, there is no reason why you can't use the Linuxcnc 2.9.1 ISO to start from as it follows my earlier work with bookworm.

@PCW, A lot of users I have worked with have had the Realtek R8111 NIC which I also have on a couple of machines. The first step is always to use the DKMS driver and if absolutely necessary, add the compiled kernel. This rescued a number of unuseable machines. Funny you mention your Zotac. Your feedback on it years ago led me to end up with a couple of Gigabyte Brix PC's J1900 and N3160 because Zotac was not available in .AU. Both required the R8168 driver and the kernel but I have not actually checked performance with the current released version of bookworm. I will do that. Also an All in one with an i3 and R8111 driver needed the full treatment.

It is interesting that fewer people seem to have issues today than we saw with earlier pre-release bookworm versions

More
17 Nov 2023 22:25 #285788 by spumco
I've managed to do something horrible to the backup PC.  Reset bios to default, then disabled power-saving & turbo-type settings.

Now it won't boot to bios or show anything on the display.  Essentially bricked.

I'll try again once the G1 shows up next week.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds