sudo -i

then

grep eno1 /proc/interrupts

then cd to /proc/irq/#

Where # is the number in the first column of the grep result

then

echo '8" > smp_affinity

then

(and control D to go back to normal user)
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2023 20:33 #285539 by Unlogic

[Rather than starting a new thread, I'll continue here...]

Starting to commission a new build and I'm getting the error finishing read problem crop up within seconds of starting LCNC and could use some help diagnosing.

PC: HP elitedesk 800 G2 mini
NIC: Intel i219LM
LCNC: 2.9 from ISO on LCNC home page
Kernel: 6.1.0-13 (haven't messed with this)

etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
address 10.10.10.1
hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0

Grub:
isolcpus=3 intel_pstate=disable processor.max_cstate=0 idle=poll cpufreq.default_governor=performance i915.enable_dc=0 ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=1 irqaffinity=0 nomodeset quiet

Good latency after fiddling with grub.  Just copied the above from the latency thread, don't really understand the backstage stuff.

LCNC terminal output:
Warning: Spoiler!

Ping times
Warning: Spoiler!

Would trying a later kernel (6.3,6.4,etc.) help?  I did see mention elsewhere here that there is a recently fixed bug related to Intel i219LM NICs...but don't know if that's related or when the fix will make it to kernels appropriate for LCNC.

ThxI

I had major issues with this exact Elitedesk setup recently that I made a post about in my build thread here on the forum: forum.linuxcnc.org/12-milling/50559-opti...nc-conversion#284497

In short there are some nasty bugs in the driver for that network card which made their way into the kernel and the fix for them hasn't been included in the Debian 6.1/6.3 kernel yet from what I can see.

I ended up moving to an older hardware setup for now.

More
15 Nov 2023 21:01 #285543 by spumco
@Unlogic - thank you.  Your thread was what I referenced earlier about the kernel bug.

I'm hoping either
  • New LAN cable, or (slim hope, but easy)
  • PCW's suggestion to pin the IRQ, or
  • PCW seems to be on 6.5... maybe that would help if I can figure out how to do it.  

Really, really don't want to deal with installing another PC in my console.  Again.

More
15 Nov 2023 21:15 #285545 by Unlogic
If you figure out a workaround, please post an update.

I've been working with Linux since the late 90's and I couldn't get the Intel i219LM to work stable for any length of time with the current 12.2 Debian kernels.

Applying the patch from Intel manually and compiling a custom kernel would probably have done the job but I wanted to able to use the reqular "apt dist-upgrade" updates without any fuzz so I opted to not go that route.

More
15 Nov 2023 21:32 #285546 by rodw
One way to get a later kernel would be to upgrade to Debian 13 = Trixie = Testing
I think its on kernel 6.5. get the amd64 version, then try running andy's install script 
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/

More
15 Nov 2023 22:07 #285547 by tommylight
Open "synaptic package manager" and search for
linux-image-6.4.0-  -rt-amd64
or
linux-image-6.5.0-  -rt-amd64
they are both there, it will also list linux headers just in case you need them for LinuxCNC dev.
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2023 22:54 #285552 by spumco
Update...

New cable - no joy butwas worth a try - Thanks Tommy
PCW's IRQ affinity - no change in behavior, but thanks for the braiin-dead instructions.

Screenshot of the read times attached...  huge spikes.

Next step is a new kernel.

I've checked synaptics and the only kernel available with the bog-standard bookworm ISO install is 6.1.0-13.

Before I grease this thing and have a go with Trixie...

is there some other way to get the 6.5 kernel and patch?  I fumbled around last night and added 'testing' and 'unstable' debian repos through synaptics, but none of the newer kernels appeared in the search results.
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2023 22:59 #285553 by spumco

One way to get a later kernel would be to upgrade to Debian 13 = Trixie = Testing
I think its on kernel 6.5. get the amd64 version, then try running andy's install script 
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/

Rod - where would I find Andy's install script?  Didn't see it in the announcements or computers/installing sub-forums.

More
15 Nov 2023 23:21 #285554 by tommylight

New cable - no joy butwas worth a try - Thanks Tommy

You are welcomed, always.

I've checked synaptics and the only kernel available with the bog-standard bookworm ISO install is 6.1.0-13.

Did you mind the spaces, there are two spaces between - - in my post, not having those turns empty when searched in synaptic.

is there some other way to get the 6.5 kernel and patch?

Yes of course, you can use the same stuff i posted to search debian and pkgs.org, :
packages.debian.org/bookworm-backports/a....1-rt-amd64/download

More
15 Nov 2023 23:43 #285556 by spumco
Tried 6.5, no joy. read error within 5 seconds of starting LCNC.

Next step is Trixie.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds