Roland mdx-650a question

More
06 Nov 2014 10:27 #52855 by nick gill
Replied by nick gill on topic Roland mdx-650a question

is your information on a 650... blinking does this mean an error or the board is waiting for the next step on the z axis pulling up etc.? the lock up is the main problem and the fact that the indiction on the lcd screen says the XY but the z does not move....i know that the z axis needs to move before anything else starts moving and maybe this unit errors on the XY even though the Z axis might have a problem? I am wondering if I should take the z axis servo and swap with the Y servo to check and see if this might be happening....Your thoughts.....

Sound like a good idea. Try it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2014 10:37 #52856 by nick gill

is your information on a 650... blinking does this mean an error or the board is waiting for the next step on the z axis pulling up etc.? the lock up is the main problem and the fact that the indiction on the lcd screen says the XY but the z does not move....i know that the z axis needs to move before anything else starts moving and maybe this unit errors on the XY even though the Z axis might have a problem? I am wondering if I should take the z axis servo and swap with the Y servo to check and see if this might be happening....Your thoughts.....

Sound like a good idea. Try it.

650 is almost the same as 500. Most PCB boards inside are the same.

I ask about the fan because there is a spare 24VDC feed from the loom where the spindle motor is connected on the 650. I presumed your 500 spindle fan connects here, so I connected a fan there too.
Attachments:

More
06 Nov 2014 10:51 #52858 by ducatidragon916
i looked at the attachment which is a flow chart and it is locking up on the z axis part ...but it is referencing the XY on the display maybe it is software glitch or something else? Ill get back after I swapped the servos....

More
06 Nov 2014 11:43 #52860 by ducatidragon916
swapped servos.. still same thing. I am perplexed unless it is a motherboard issue...... I dumbfounded......any other ideas!!???

More
06 Nov 2014 12:15 #52862 by ducatidragon916
one big thing i am noticing is that the z axis isn't moving and the solenoid isn't engaging and if I recall the normal sequence is the solenoid activates with a click sound and then the z axis goes up etc... this isnt happening which makes me suspect the solenoid or that part of the circuitry.. I am going to check the solenoid out and see if it isn't damaged etc....

More
06 Nov 2014 12:53 #52864 by ducatidragon916
solenoid is good.....maybe the sequencing is get the motors on standby before engaging solenoid and then z axis and the other servos.. perhaps the driver for the servos on the board is bad!??

More
06 Nov 2014 13:20 #52866 by nick gill

if I recall the normal sequence is the solenoid activates with a click sound and then the z axis goes up etc... this isnt happening which makes me suspect the solenoid or that part of the circuitry.. I am going to check the solenoid out and see if it isn't damaged etc....

yes, this is right.. Brake is always on unless the machine is on to release the brake by use of solenoid action. I.e. in a power outage the brake is on, so for Z axis to do anything, solenoid must first release the brake. Click etc...
I suggest you remove the solenoid and have it actuating in free air.

You say putting the Y axis servomotor into the Z axis doesn't help? Also my Z axis carriage bolts were super loose, almost falling out! Check those.

It could be a mainboard issue, which would be a real pain.
Which country are you in?
Roland Australia have quite a few parts but very expensive. The guy there is Matt Landrigan.
In UK there is Patrick Thorn: pthorn at rolanddg.com undoubtedly expensive also.
A 500 was on ebay very cheap, think its gone now.

More
07 Nov 2014 07:20 #52885 by ducatidragon916
I am in USA ... I think ill try to troubleshot the board first look at the solenoid circuitry and then other areas .. If it is a simple component failure great! If it is something more complicated like the IC controller chip or maybe the ram programming on the machine failure etc I am in big trouble... I think I will need to figure this out if not and cant find a board then another controller board possibly to fit in instead? maybe? any ideas......?????

More
07 Nov 2014 08:54 - 07 Nov 2014 08:54 #52889 by nick gill
I was just given a controller panel board for a 650. Probably 6 years old. The PCB tracks are corroding on it. Lead free solder no doubt. It is a bit of an issue and difficult to remedy.
maybe yours has a corrosion issue?

MDX-500 and 650 Main board is the same.

This is what the spindle board on the 650 looks like:

Maybe check the transistor power block for the motor. It's a big thing like this:

Also check the hall sensors on the spindle motor stator. They look like this:
Reading at the motor stator are:
Black +12V
Red +12V
Brown +12V

Brown +5V
Red 0V
Orange +5V
Yellow +5V
Green +5V

Hall sensor datasheet: pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/panasonic/DN8899SE.pdf
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 08:54 by nick gill.

More
07 Nov 2014 09:20 #52891 by ducatidragon916
No corrosion issues very clean board. I will check the voltages and the transistor power block. I did disconnect the spindle motor driver board to see if this might be a possible solution but no luck checked the solenoid and it appears to be fine so I have no other choice but to jump into the motherboard and start ticking away at it.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds