Brother TC-211

More
06 Apr 2014 04:56 #45602 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Brother TC-211
[quote="emcPT" post=45598I would recommend a 5i25 + 7i77 for the control of the servo motors. Probably a 7i74 and a 7i84 will be needed after if a lot of IO is needed (if you want to maintain the control with physical buttons, that I personally like).[/quote]
For wiring up the control panel a 7i73 might be better. (as it has MPG inputs and supports matrix-wired switches). Cheap too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2014 05:02 #45603 by andypugh

Thanks its a start. Now a newbie question. What do all the cards do.

Computers are Digital. +/-10V is an analogue signal, so you need some hardware to produce the analogue signal, and to convert the machine voltages on switches and such to safe voltages for the PC to interpret.
The spec for the 7i77 is here: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_87&product_id=120
Another possibility is from Pico Systems: www.pico-systems.com/univpwm.html
Both of these are fully supported by LinuxCNC. Also LinuxCNC is fully supported by both manufacturers. (You will find them on these forums answering questions).

Hold off buying any hardware yet though, it is possible that you might need something rather different to run with Resolvers.
(I like resolvers a lot, they are fundamentally better than encoders, but a lot harder to use with a digital system)

More
06 Apr 2014 05:14 #45604 by mblaszkiewicz
Replied by mblaszkiewicz on topic Brother TC-211
I will go back to the manual and find out what I can about the resolvers on the system. Again Thanks to everyone here for the help

More
06 Apr 2014 14:38 - 06 Apr 2014 14:39 #45608 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Brother TC-211

For wiring up the control panel a 7i73 might be better. (as it has MPG inputs and supports matrix-wired switches). Cheap too.

The 7i73 is harder to connect. The use of the IDC connectors make the connections more difficult and less user friendly. I am telling this because I have one in a machine with also a 7i84.
The 7i84 also allows MPG, but yes it is a bit more expensive.

Swapping your resolvers for compatible encoders should also not be a large issue if your current resolvers do not work.

With a help of a scope you should be able to check if your drive convert the resolver signals into encoder signals that would be directly accepted by the 7i77 (that in your current machine, would be connected to the controller of your machine).
This seams the most likely as in your documentation it is written:
Location and signal output: AB signals 1024 with a Z
Z is the index of the encoder, being A B the channels of it.
If you connect a scope to this "signal ouput" you should be able to look at the A and B channels (also the Z) when rotating the shaft to prove that they will work.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2014 14:39 by emcPT. Reason: Spelling

More
06 Apr 2014 17:30 #45610 by mblaszkiewicz
Replied by mblaszkiewicz on topic Brother TC-211
As soon as I get the machine in the house I will get a scope on the z axis. A had to remove the servo motor do it would fit mangy doors. What type of signal will I be looking for on the scope ??

And I will post pictures when I test it because everyone hates pictures. Also the revolvers all work. The machine is on full functioning condition.

I'm not too worried about the cost of the cards. Ease of insulation is my first priority and I really would like the mpg.

More
06 Apr 2014 18:44 #45612 by emcPT
You say that the machine is on full working condition?
Stop. Rethink, adapt yourself to the existing control, learn with it.
If you cannot do what you want with it think on retrofit. This is my opinion.

The signals that you are looking:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder
on the section Incremental Rotary encoder

More
06 Apr 2014 19:28 #45613 by andypugh

The 7i73 is harder to connect. The use of the IDC connectors make the connections more difficult and less user friendly.

Good point. It takes up less space, but that is more relevant in a hand-held pendant than a machine console.
Matrix-wiring for the switches is something of an advantage.
For connecting to the pin-headers I use some discrete-wire connectors that allow you to re-arrange the wires if needed. I think they are called the "M20" series:
uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/6812871/
(the picture shows a 2x2 but that part number is a 10x2)
I mention this only for future reference.

More
06 Apr 2014 19:30 #45614 by andypugh

Swapping your resolvers for compatible encoders should also not be a large issue if your current resolvers do not work.

The drives probably only work with resolvers though, so that swap would need new drives.

I think your advice elsewhere was good. Get the machine running with the existing control, use it with the existing control, and then decide if it needs a controller swap.

More
06 Apr 2014 21:11 #45616 by emcPT

The drives probably only work with resolvers though, so that swap would need new drives.

Yes, must probably the drives will only work with resolvers. Andy is correct, so having to change the current resolvers for encoders may be a large step.

More
06 Apr 2014 22:47 #45618 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Brother TC-211
Emcpt makes several good points. The first being if the machine works,at least for now, learn the original control. If nothing else you will at least get a chance to understand how the mechanisms of the machine actually operate. The chances of you ending up with a nighmare at this point are looking good. It is easy to tear the machine apart, it is not so.easy to get it all working again.

Second, the 7i84 is much easier to use for building a full size pendent(if you are not decoding a keyboard), due to it having terminal blocks. In addition, you do have to program your own buttons and knobs.

If the machine works, use it to make money, practice getting a small project working,learn how the machine actually works and when the time comes to actually do the machine, you will ahead of the game. For what it is worth....

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds