Centroid CNC4

More
26 Jun 2011 02:50 #10869 by forhire
Replied by forhire on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
tpwjayson wrote:

So I have everything all hooked up now. Not really sure if I am doing everything correctly. Using option 4 do I have to type each line as I go? I cant figure out how to send a complete file to the controller.

Program can be loaded using the Edit menu, option 7. Programs larger than 24k characters can be fed line by line through the MDI which is option 4. Line by line feed requires the transfer to wait for a "?" before sending another line. Either method you transfer the program using ascii transfer. What terminal program are you using?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2011 02:59 #10870 by tpwjayson
Replied by tpwjayson on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
I am using gtkterm

More
26 Jun 2011 03:14 #10871 by forhire
What version? Look under Help, About. Needs to be version 0.99.6. The stock version in Ubuntu 10.4 is 0.99.5-1 which has transfer a timing bug. I had to compile from source. Release can be found here:
fedorahosted.org/released/gtkterm/

It's possible the Ubuntu repository has been updated and you already have the fixed version.

More
26 Jun 2011 04:38 #10872 by forhire
tpwjayson, here the step by step. I can upload screen shots if required but this get you going. Do you have a simple gcode program to play with?

Make sure you set your X0, Y0, and Z0 positions using 6 and option 8.

To load a program into memory:
Press 7, Edit menu
Press L to list program in memory
Press K to kill or erase program in memory
Press I to insert or load program from file
Click on File in gtkterm, Send Raw File, select your gcode file, this will then load the program into memory
I normally then list (L) the program to make sure it's complete. Memory is limited to about 1000 lines or so. Press X to leave the Edit menu. Press the green start button to run the program. Program will run each time you press the button. Nice for multiples.

To feed the program line by line from a file:
Click Configuration in gtkterm, select Port
Check the "Wait for this special character before passing to next line" and enter ? (question mark) in the box.
Press 4 in CNC4 which opens MDI mode
Click on File in gtkterm, Send Raw File, select your gcode file.
Program will start running line by line intermediately.

Don't forget to remove the wait character when not using MDI.

What baud rate are you running? I use 9600, I haven't been able to get 19200 to work... even after changing the dip switches. Just curious.

More
26 Jun 2011 14:34 #10876 by tpwjayson
Thanks for the step by step. I will try it out when I get to work Monday. I have been trying to write a bit of gcode so I will try one that I have made. Im running 9600 baud rate just because thats what the manual says to run.

More
26 Jun 2011 14:36 #10877 by tpwjayson
forhire,

you said you are missing a few pages from your manual? I have a complete one. I wouldn't mind sending you copies of the pages you are missing.

More
26 Jun 2011 14:43 - 27 Jun 2011 16:03 #10879 by forhire
tpwjayson wrote:

Thanks for the step by step. I will try it out when I get to work Monday. I have been trying to write a bit of gcode so I will try one that I have made. Im running 9600 baud rate just because thats what the manual says to run.

Sounds good. I've been trying to get the 19200 to work so I can maybe squeeze some more speed out of the control. I spoke with Centroid and they were certain it works... but I've never been able to do it.

forhire, you said you are missing a few pages from your manual? I have a complete one. I wouldn't mind sending you copies of the pages you are missing.

Super. I'm only missing page 65 or something. I'll look it up on Monday. I figured out the command without it... but it would be nice to have it. Not sure if I'm missing other pages :P
Last edit: 27 Jun 2011 16:03 by forhire. Reason: Corrected page number

More
27 Jun 2011 16:06 #10899 by forhire
tpwjayson wrote:

you said you are missing a few pages from your manual? I have a complete one. I wouldn't mind sending you copies of the pages you are missing.

Page 65 and 66 are missing. I may be missing others but that one I know for sure as it covers G80 - G83. A scan of those two pages would make the manual complete. B)

More
29 Jun 2011 19:01 - 29 Jun 2011 19:01 #10972 by forhire
I am planning on building a new power supply for the emc2 controller. My Centroid power supply is 50V. I'd like to go to 70V if possible as that is what the G203V can handle.

From Gecko page www.geckodrive.com/ark-2/support.html

To figure out what the maximum power supply voltage should be, use the following formula with the motor’s inductance in millihenries (mH) used for the L value.

32 * VL = VMAX

My steppers have a phase inductance of 1.8 mH but I can't find the voltage on my old spec sheet. Should I assume it's something like 2.2V? This gives me 126.72V.

The new spec sheet lists the max voltage as 140V with a phase inductance of 2.0mH, same model number but clearly a little different.

So I should be OK building for a 70V power supply?

Here are the spec sheets for the steppers:
home.lewiscounty.com/users/forhire/hy2004270.pdf
home.lewiscounty.com/users/forhire/hy2004270-old.pdf
Last edit: 29 Jun 2011 19:01 by forhire.

More
29 Jun 2011 19:06 #10973 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
Some stepper formulas for calculating voltage are here:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Stepper_Formulas

John

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds