Centroid CNC4

More
12 Jul 2011 10:13 #11451 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
tpwjayson wrote:

There is a line that ends in an M6 command followed by S3000. I am pretty sure its a command for a speed change but I can't get the machine to accept it as a manual input.

It is an S3000 on one line, followed by an M3 on the next.
I don't know why it is split like that, but M3 is "spindle clockwise" and S sets spindle speed.

[Image]

Nothing there looks clever enough to control spindle speed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2011 17:27 #11466 by tpwjayson
Replied by tpwjayson on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
What do I need to figure out to be able to have speed control on my spindle then? I am sure its more that a $40.00 control board.

Also I have been wondering about my serial connection. I have a 9 pin going to a 25 pin. Am I going to have problems with this once I switch to EMC? It seems to work just fine for the controller I have, but if I need to get a PCI card or something its no big deal.

More
12 Jul 2011 19:22 #11469 by andypugh
tpwjayson wrote:

What do I need to figure out to be able to have speed control on my spindle then? I am sure its more that a $40.00 control board.

Does S3000 M3 work?

Also I have been wondering about my serial connection. I have a 9 pin going to a 25 pin. Am I going to have problems with this once I switch to EMC? It seems to work just fine for the controller I have, but if I need to get a PCI card or something its no big deal.

EMC2 doesn't use Serial. It sometimes uses parallel.

I think you might still be unclear what is what in your system.

Currently (I think) you have a PC which drip feeds G-code (Serial DNC) to the Centroid Controller, which sends some sort of signals to the Drives, which control the motors.
So, that is PC --(serial)--> Controller --(unknown)--> Drives --(Volts)--> Motors

If you want to convert to CNC then that replaces both the PC and the Controller. EMC2 is the controller, running in a Linux PC. It will communicate with the Drives through some means as yet unknown (hopefully a simple +10 to -10 signal, for full-speed forwards and full-speed backwards)

You run the risk of taking a perfectly functional CNC and spending a lot of time making it possibly a bit better, and possibly never getting it to work again.

EMC2 ought to be an improvement on the Centroid controller, but it is a replacement for the centroid controller. The data that is currently transferred by the Serial link is just passed between two bits of program in the Linux PC in an EMC2 system.

More
12 Jul 2011 23:18 #11478 by tpwjayson
Yeah so maybe I have been unclear with what I am trying to accomplish. I want to completely replace the CNC4 controller with a new system. I am thinking the 203v drivers from Gecko, the C1G breakout board from CNC4PC and a power supply, then using EMC2 to control it.

I want to leave the CNC4 intact so I have a backup system if I need it.

I will try that command in the morning and let you know if it works

More
13 Jul 2011 00:11 #11481 by andypugh
tpwjayson wrote:

Yeah so maybe I have been unclear with what I am trying to accomplish. I want to completely replace the CNC4 controller with a new system. I am thinking the 203v drivers from Gecko, the C1G breakout board from CNC4PC and a power supply, then using EMC2 to control it.

I would probably keep the existing stepper power supply.

If you want to keep the encoders, and handle spindle speed control, and a full set of limit/home switches (and using encoder index to home is a very good idea) then you will run out of parallel port pins.

For not a lot more than the C1G you could have a Mesa 7i43 ($90). That also plugs into the parport, but gives you 48 IO lines that can be configured in EMC2 to be inputs, outputs, step generators, encoder counters or a number of other things.
However, it doesn't make things any easier to wire, so you would probably then be looking at the matching 7i42TA ($45) or maybe 7i47($69) or 7i47S($79) if your spindle needs an analogue voltage to drive it.

I have not heard any bad reports about Gecko drives, and if they claim that the 203V is bomb-proof I would believe them.

More
13 Jul 2011 00:25 #11482 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
andypugh wrote:

I have not heard any bad reports about Gecko drives, and if they claim that the 203V is bomb-proof I would believe them.

I killed one (or it died from a bad component) once on my plasma cutter, Mariss replaced it no questions asked!

John

More
13 Jul 2011 01:13 #11485 by tpwjayson
Ok great that gives me a lot to go on.

I guess I will look at my controller and see how easy it will be to use the original power supply

I looked at the Mesa 7i43 and it looks like I will go that route. Anything I should take into consideration before I start ordering components?

More
13 Jul 2011 09:53 #11491 by andypugh
tpwjayson wrote:I looked at the Mesa 7i43 and it looks like I will go that route. Anything I should take into consideration before I start ordering components?[/quote]
Don't get the USB-only version of the 7i43. You probably only need the 200k-gate version, but the 400k-gate might add future-proofing.

Count how many inputs and outputs you need and whether you need one or two daughter cards.
Try to determine if the encoders are differential or TTL. you don't need the differential driver cards if the encoders only have one wire per phase.
In fact the encoders don't really add much to the system, other than very accurate homing and following-error detection.

More
16 Jul 2011 19:42 #11567 by tpwjayson
Worked on my machine a bit today

Speed control does not work. I had to input it the same as in the program, M6 S3000, Enter, M3. The control says waiting for response and apparently it never gets one because the program never resumes and the speed never changes. It seems like fixing the manual speed control will be the cheapest route so I will look into that.

Checked the encoders and I am pretty sure they are single ended TTL type because they only have 4 wires coming off of them into a DB9 connector.

As far as i/o goes here is a pic of the back of my CNC4

Looks like I will be good with the 7i43 and one 7i47. The great thing is that I can add another one later if I end up wanting to add things.

I was wondering why you recommend to keep the old power supply? I looked at taking out the one I have and it might be more of a hassle than getting a new one.

More
16 Jul 2011 19:50 #11568 by tpwjayson
Worked on my machine a bit today

Speed control does not work. I had to input it the same as in the program, M6 S3000, Enter, M3. The control says waiting for response and apparently it never gets one because the program never resumes and the speed never changes. It seems like fixing the manual speed control will be the cheapest route so I will look into that.

Checked the encoders and I am pretty sure they are single ended TTL type because they only have 4 wires coming off of them into a DB9 connector.

As far as i/o goes here is a pic of the back of my CNC4

Looks like I will be good with the 7i43 and one 7i47. The great thing is that I can add another one later if I end up wanting to add things.

I was wondering why you recommend to keep the old power supply? I looked at taking out the one I have and it might be more of a hassle than getting a new one.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds