Centroid CNC4

More
03 Jul 2011 12:31 - 03 Jul 2011 12:33 #11091 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
tpwjayson wrote:

BigJohnT wrote:

Yea, I didn't even think of the I/O part of it... would the new Mesa cards be worth waiting for? As I understand they are going to be out soon and more cost effective in the I/O area.

John

My question is which card is easier to configure? I dont really need anything more than spindle control on top of my motors, so if I can save $200 I would prefer to get the C1G.

Also, how important are the encoders in this setup? I was thinking that I could just not use them when I upgrade if they aren't doing a whole lot.

On my plasma cutter I used the C1G with Gecko G203v drives (10 micro steps) and was able to reach rapid speeds of 500 IPM with software step generation. My scale is 3000 on the X and Y axis. So that is 1,500,000 steps a minute / 10 micro steps = 150,000 steps at the stepper per minute and / 200 steps per revolution = 750 RPM. So I assume due to my gearing I was able to get the 500 IPM with software step generation. So now I could change my gearing and double my rpm but there seems to be no need at this point to change what works. And in my case my actual step rate was 25,000 steps a second which was no where near the maximum possible of 60,000 steps a second for my stepper motors.

That's why I suggested you do the math to see if you need the faster step count or not. If your gearing is such that you need to drive the stepper at max rpm software stepping is not for you with a G2xx driver. This is like designing a helicopter everything is a trade off...
Last edit: 03 Jul 2011 12:33 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2011 02:25 #11203 by tpwjayson
Replied by tpwjayson on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
forhire

I was wondering if you have spindle speed control on your CNC4? I have been trying to figure out mine and I don't really understand what is going on. I would like to update this as well but I am not sure how to proceed. CNC4PC and Pico have spindle speed control boards but I have no idea if they will swap easily with the CNC4.

More
07 Jul 2011 07:13 #11210 by forhire
Replied by forhire on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
tpwjayson wrote:

forhire

I was wondering if you have spindle speed control on your CNC4? I have been trying to figure out mine and I don't really understand what is going on. I would like to update this as well but I am not sure how to proceed. CNC4PC and Pico have spindle speed control boards but I have no idea if they will swap easily with the CNC4.

I have spindle ON and OFF using M codes using one of the relay outputs. The CNC4 has 8 outputs standard. These trigger a relay that turns on the motor. My motor has a VFD which I can manually set the speed (in addition to the belts).

M3 Spindle rotation clock wise (cw)
M4 Spindle rotation counter clock wise (ccw)
M5 Spindle stop

For my purposes on/off, fwd/rev is enough. I ran without spindle control of any kind for years... it just made leaving a job running at night an issue of leaving the spindle running for no purpose. It's nice being able to stop the spindle if the machine e-stops ;)

Being able to stop/start the spindle makes tool changes faster.

I looked at two BOSS cnc mills this week. Both had manual speed adjust and manual spindle on/off. No trigger from the control (one was Ah-Ha and the other was Mach 3).

With a VFD control, most want a 0 to 10v trigger for speed control. If you have a VFD look at your manual and it should give you some ideas. I'll post up a picture of my relays tomorrow.

More
07 Jul 2011 07:27 #11211 by forhire
In my attempt to improve the mills resolution... I installed the belts and pulleys to make both the X and Y axis a 2:1 ratio. The X axis required a 710-5M-15 belt and the Y axis used a 790-5M-15 belt. I was able to re-use the belt from the Y axis :) In all I had to buy two 60 tooth pulleys and 1 belt. Easy change out. Spent about $100. The machine is now 16000 steps per inch!

Not sure if I see any readily visible change or improvement. The steppers rapid a 600 rpm. Not sure if I can (or dare) go faster. With the new ratio my table rapid is 60 ipm... exactly half my old speed :(

Not sure if it was worth the trouble.

More
07 Jul 2011 09:10 #11212 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
forhire wrote:

Not sure if I see any readily visible change or improvement. The steppers rapid a 600 rpm. Not sure if I can (or dare) go faster. With the new ratio my table rapid is 60 ipm... exactly half my old speed.

It is easy to experiment to see if you can get some of your rapid speed back. The speed over-ride slider effects rapids too, so perhaps put the rapid speed back where it was, and jog about adjusting the speed override slider until it can handle the speed, and then back of a bit for safety .

More
07 Jul 2011 11:10 #11216 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Centroid CNC4
On my BP series 1 with an Anilam 3 axis cnc conversion kit it does 200IPM rapid with X and Y. If it went 100 IPM it would not make much difference in the overall scope of things as the X axis is only 22" or so and the Y is only 12". The other factor is I'm not doing production work on the mill just one offs so most of the time spent is doing setup and programming not in rapid.

John

More
08 Jul 2011 14:27 - 09 Jul 2011 00:30 #11267 by forhire
tpwjayson wrote:

forhire

I looked through the cnc4 manual and I didn't find any indication that it supported spindle speed. The big question is does your spindle have speed control other than the manual crank on the front currently. It should be trivial to add speed control if you have a vfd. Otherwise on/off would be the easiest and cheapest to support.

Here's the of my relays I currently use with the cnc4. I'm planning on using the solid state relays on the Pico.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2011 00:30 by forhire.

More
12 Jul 2011 06:02 #11446 by tpwjayson
forhire,

Had to take a few days off the machine, my wife gave birth to a baby boy last week and had to shift priorities a bit.

I have no manual control over my spindle speed. The previous owner removed all manual control on top of the spindle. There is mention of speed control in my manual that has to meet a few conditions, pg 35. It says that the controller has to respond to Binary Coded Decimal numbers 0 through 39. There are a few other things but you might be able to find the page.

When I connected my comp to the CNC4 I was able to pull off the last program that was loaded on the machine. There is a line that ends in an M6 command followed by S3000. I am pretty sure its a command for a speed change but I can't get the machine to accept it as a manual input.

I am going to start buying my parts to do an upgrade this week but I would like to get this figured out before I get too far into it.
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2011 06:03 #11447 by tpwjayson
Here is the original file that was on the CNC4

More
12 Jul 2011 06:05 #11448 by tpwjayson
Sorry here it is

File Attachment:

File Name: original_1.txt
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds