First Time Help

More
23 Jul 2011 18:35 #11775 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Re:First Time Help
I tried the new driver a little. (I was at home using a remote desktop so I couldn't realy see what was happening) I think there was movement with the old hal and ini file, but I did not get any signals from the limit switches. I jogged it towards the limit and it did not stop when it should have hit the limit. I restarted with the old driver and found the machine against the limit with the amp tripped. I'll finish typing up the new setups, and see if they work better (or at all) on Monday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2011 03:20 #11812 by Todd Zuercher
I had set up two M1xx codes to turn on and off the vacuum clamping. I would also like to set up a pyvcp button (or buttons) to turn it on and off. Will setting up the hal commands for the vac on/off button interfere with the M codes I set up?

the code I used in the M code is

halcmd setp pcl720.0.pin-24-out 1 (for vac on)

More
25 Jul 2011 11:20 #11822 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:First Time Help
Todd Zuercher wrote:

I had set up two M1xx codes to turn on and off the vacuum clamping. I would also like to set up a pyvcp button (or buttons) to turn it on and off. Will setting up the hal commands for the vac on/off button interfere with the M codes I set up?

Yes, the PyVCP button will set the pin state every servo-thread cycle, so if you turn it on with the M-code and the PyVCP button is off, then the vacuum will be on for at most one millisecond.

There are functions in HAL to handle this sort of situation. The hard part is deciding what behaviour you want. Should the M-code always have priority, or should the soft buttons be able to over-ride it? How many PyVCP buttons do you want to use (you could just make the button toggle the state, and the M-code set the state explicitly).
For fun, and to help you see what is possible, have a look at the following HAL functions:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/and2.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/or2.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/maj3.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/oneshot.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/mux2.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/toggle2nist.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/flipflop.9.html

Work out what behaviour you want, and I will show you how to set that up in HAL.

More
25 Jul 2011 12:48 #11825 by Todd Zuercher
I had M111 set up to turn on the vacuum, and M112 to turn it off. I just set up a couple halui mdi commands and called them from the buttons, It seems to work fine.
I wonder if I realy set up these M commands right. They each are useing the same setp command one with a 1 and the other with a 0. Should there maybe be more to them? It seems like maybe there should be something more that causes one to cansel out the other so that both can not be active at the same time.

More
25 Jul 2011 13:09 #11826 by andypugh
Todd Zuercher wrote:

I had M111 set up to turn on the vacuum, and M112 to turn it off. I just set up a couple halui mdi commands and called them from the buttons, It seems to work fine.
I wonder if I realy set up these M commands right. They each are useing the same setp command one with a 1 and the other with a 0. Should there maybe be more to them? It seems like maybe there should be something more that causes one to cansel out the other so that both can not be active at the same time.

No, that is perfectly OK for the M1nn commands. They each write a different value to the pin, as and when required. If you don't do anything, the value stays the same.

However, a PyVCP button writes its value to the connected HAL pin every servo-thread, so will tend-to over-ride the M1nn commands.

More
25 Jul 2011 13:30 #11827 by Todd Zuercher
How hard would it be to make the simple timer show time in hrs:min:sec instead of just seconds?

More
25 Jul 2011 14:25 #11830 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:First Time Help
2.5 has a comp that takes seconds in and gives back hrs min sec.

time.comp

If you don't want to wait for 2.5 you can add this comp to your install.

Comp

John

More
25 Jul 2011 17:00 #11839 by Todd Zuercher
Any idea what the probable release date of 2.5 will be?

What should the hal look like for connecting my amp falt signal to a pyvcp led look like?

This is what is in the hal now

net Xfault-in pcl720.0.pin-26-in => not.0.in
net Xfault not.0.out => axis.0.amp-fault-in

Can I jsut add the pyvcp.Xfault to the Xfault-in line, or do I need to make a new line in the postgui hal file? (If it needs to be a new line in the postgui how should it look?)

More
25 Jul 2011 17:15 #11841 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:First Time Help
you can access the current branch of 2.5 from buildbot.linuxcnc.org and download the deb

More
25 Jul 2011 17:22 #11842 by andypugh
Todd Zuercher wrote:

Any idea what the probable release date of 2.5 will be?

Not really, and another thread on this forum might push it back (weird issues with limits)
net Xfault-in pcl720.0.pin-26-in => not.0.in
net Xfault not.0.out => axis.0.amp-fault-in
The new driver should let you use
net Xfault pcl720.pin-26-in-not => axis.0.amp-fault-in

Can I jsut add the pyvcp.Xfault to the Xfault-in line, or do I need to make a new line in the postgui hal file?

The latter, any signal name that you define in the hal file can be re-used in the postgui file, but the PyVCP items don't exist while the main HAL file is loading.
In you have the option if treating the pcl720.0.pin-26-in pin as a completely separate object, so can use that in the postgui file (you can't directly re-use the in-not pin because that is already linked, but can access the value through the signal name.)

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds