Moschip 9815CV

More
16 Jan 2015 06:35 #55055 by johnl2
Moschip 9815CV was created by johnl2
Hello everybody and Happy New Year. I have a problem with a parallel port I purchased from newegg.com, RC-304.www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...15-166-007-_-Product

I cannot seem to get it to work with Ubuntu Lucid Build V 6.00. Does anybody have any idea how to do this or where the driver is? I have been trying for months now and nothing. I was sent a zip file from newegg.com with some information in it, but I do not know linux well enough to decipher it. I attached it to my post.

Thank you ahead of time,

John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2015 06:52 #55057 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Moschip 9815CV
You should not need any special driver for that card

Why do you think the card does not work?

More
16 Jan 2015 07:06 #55059 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Moschip 9815CV
Thank you so very much for replying so quickly. The reason I don't think it's working is b/c I tried moving the axis on my sherline mill with it and they do not move. I used the command lspci and it finds the card fine but other than that, it does not feed any 1's or 0's to the motor controller.

Thanks again,

John

More
16 Jan 2015 07:13 #55060 by johnl2
I just tried it again to be sure, no movement. Previously I was using an older motherboard that had a parallel port built onto it, but the PSU just blew on me. So I have a much newer computer that I build myself and put about 2K into. It's a powerhouse and I purchased that card for it thinking it'd be no problem! I called newegg and even the manufacturer today, Rosewill. Rosewill told me they could not help me b/c they do not deal with linux, meanwhile the device is linux compatible. He also said that the card is close to being discontinued. He gave me as much info as he could, like the type of chipset (MCS 9815CV) and told me that it's a MOSCHIP. I have found the IRQ and slot# etc. I just don't know what to do with it! Then there's that info in the zip file which I have tried but their commands do not work.

Thanks,

John

More
16 Jan 2015 08:16 - 16 Jan 2015 08:20 #55064 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Moschip 9815CV
Did you set the base address in stepconf or hal/ini file to match the MOSCHIP base address?

(you should also be able to use 0 as a base address which will select the first parallel port = port 0)

you can find the cards base address (assuming it was detected as a parallel port) with this command

cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/base-addr

or if you happen to have more than one port, the second address will be

cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport1/base-addr
Last edit: 16 Jan 2015 08:20 by PCW. Reason: details

More
16 Jan 2015 11:28 #55067 by johnl2
When I type that into the terminal to try to determine the base address, it tells me "No such file or directory". As far as the Hal, I don't know how to do any of that. Also, I have been looking some things up on google and I need an internet connection to download packages and I cannot even connect to the internet wired. Any idea on how to get me through this? I'd be ever so grateful.

Thanks,

John

More
16 Jan 2015 11:41 #55068 by johnl2
The program setserial is not installed and I cannot install it because I have no internet connection.

John

More
16 Jan 2015 11:47 #55069 by johnl2
It's calling it a communication controller. Am I screwed?

John

More
16 Jan 2015 12:37 #55071 by johnl2
well, I have sort of an update. I went into stepconf and tested the axis where it lets you test x y and z. They moved. So that tells me that the port is working. I guess I need to make a new stepconf file? I have no idea on how to do all that though. I want it setup just how I got it and I don't know where the original .ini file is. And when I hit finish on the stepconf, it made 2 files on my desktop, neither of which opens up EMC2. So even if I go through it and reset everything in stepconf, I cannot open EMC2 in that configuration.

Thanks again,

John

More
16 Jan 2015 12:40 #55072 by johnl2
Actually, I think it does make a file on the desktop, that's right, but it will not let me open the second one. It tells me that it's not trusted and gives me no choice but to cancel.

John

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds