Moschip 9815CV

More
21 Jan 2015 15:41 #55234 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV
It sounds like ver 6 is their version number, but because of the ambiguous wording you downloaded Ubuntu ver 6!

So yes you now have the version they intended all the time, 10.04

Is it up to date? It supports the latest Linuxcnc lets just leave it there, it is all you need to get started

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2015 03:58 #55250 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Moschip 9815CV
You're probably the last one sticking with me here and I don't want to get you guys tired of me asking all sorts of newbie questions, but I am even more confused now! I started getting into linux awhile ago but stopped. This is what I downloaded. The 10.04. Is this the most up to date version? B/c that's what I'm trying to load onto my computer now. And it looks like that is what sherline is saying they have. That is what I think b/c of the word "Lucid" that they use to describe it. Am I wrong?

10.04 Lucid Lynx/LinuxCNC v2.5 (current),
8.04 Hardy Heron (older)
6.06 Dapper Drake (not supported anymore)

Thanks,

John

More
22 Jan 2015 05:22 #55252 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Moschip 9815CV
That live CD should be all you need.

ArcEye didn't want to confuse you any more then you are already, and I'm with him.

I'm hesitant to tell you this. It was our current CD up until about 6 months ago. We have since switched from Ubuntu to Debian Wheezy for the live install, but it requires a DVD or other installation media (doesn't fit on a CD), and there have been other teething problems. Linuxcnc has also moved on to v2.6 and I believe 2.7 isn't far away.

If you use that CD it will install and run your machine perfectly fine as is (aside from any configuration changes you need for your specific machine and personal preferences).
Linuxcnc will also be easily upgradable to the current version should you choose to do so.

One thing to remember is to not let Linux auto update the Linux distro. This will break the custom real time kernal. Updates are fine and good, upgrades not good. This should be disabled and shouldn't be a problem unless you mess with it.

More
22 Jan 2015 07:14 #55253 by johnl2
Thank you for all of that useful info. Where could I get Wheezy that you spoke of? The only time I heard of Wheezy was when I was messing with my Raspi. I would like to have the latest linuxcnc.

Thank you again very much,

John

More
22 Jan 2015 08:10 - 22 Jan 2015 08:11 #55254 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Moschip 9815CV
Have a look at the first section of the forum... Announcements( it's the one everyone skips over lol)

JT
Last edit: 22 Jan 2015 08:11 by BigJohnT.

More
23 Jan 2015 06:13 #55277 by johnl2
I checked it out, but what am I looking for? I notice that there's an upgrade very frequently. What would be the newest one for me to download and where would I download it?

Thanks,

John

More
23 Jan 2015 06:15 #55278 by johnl2
Also the dates of the posts are difficult to discern as it seems they are in another language. Like Gen. I have no idea what Gen is.

John

More
23 Jan 2015 15:31 #55287 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV

What would be the newest one for me to download and where would I download it?

My advice FWIW, stop obsessing about having the 'latest' and just install 10.04, which is tried and tested and rock solid.

Once you have it up and running and have a better idea of what you are doing, 'upgrading' to a different distro with the same version of Linuxcnc will be easy.

regards

More
23 Jan 2015 23:44 #55294 by johnl2
Understood, thank you.

John

More
24 Jan 2015 01:06 #55295 by johnl2
Okay, I just clicked on "about ubuntu" under system. It tells me that I am currently using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS released April 2010 and supported until April 2013. Why is everybody telling me that I have an ancient version that I am using? When clearly I am fairly up to date. . .

John

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds