Moschip 9815CV

More
24 Jan 2015 01:29 #55298 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV

Why is everybody telling me that I have an ancient version that I am using?

Probably because you confused the hell out of everyone by saying you had Ubuntu v6 and refering to EMC right at the outset, which IS ancient.

We have since established v6 seems to refer to Sherline and is nothing to do with either ubuntu or Linuxcnc.

You do have an out of support version of Ubuntu, with security holes from bash and openssl to name just 2, but that is another matter,
thousands of people are still running it quite happily, just don't do on-line banking on it.

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2015 04:33 #55304 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Moschip 9815CV
Online banking. . . I can't even get online to do ANYTHING! Even when I hook up a network cable to it, it will not connect. I have tried everything I could think of and still nothing. I'd like to be able to get online to download packages through the terminal if I need to. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help,

John

More
26 Jan 2015 04:10 #55340 by johnl2
Hey, do you have any idea how to use the sherline mill with the head turned 90 degrees? Can you use it that way with CNC? I tried it and switched the x and z wires considering that x will be used as z and vise versa. But that did not work just as I figured since z is the only axis that runs true to it's position, meaning the z axis is actually on the z where x and y move independently of the end mill. So do you have any idea if it could work with CNC?

Thanks agian,

John

More
26 Jan 2015 04:34 #55341 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Moschip 9815CV

Hey, do you have any idea how to use the sherline mill with the head turned 90 degrees? Can you use it that way with CNC?

Of course. Everything will still move. If youa re programming G-code by hand then you just have to make allowances.

If you are trying to cut using CAM-generated code then it's a bit more interesting. The simplest solution is probably to create a copy of your entire config directory, and change the HAL setup so that the Z-command twiddles the Y-axis stepgen and so on.

I actually have two configs for my combined lathe/mill where the long axis is sometimes Z and sometimes X.

More
26 Jan 2015 05:42 #55346 by johnl2
Oh wow, awesome, I am so happy that I now know it's possible. Could I bother you a bit more and ask you what configs I need to change? I am familiar with the hal and ini files. What exactly would I have to do in order to change the x and z axis?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it,

John

More
26 Jan 2015 05:50 #55348 by andypugh

What exactly would I have to do in order to change the x and z axis?

It's probably easiest just to swap the parallel port pin numbers (or GPIO pins if you are using something more advanced than the parport) between the axes.

More
26 Jan 2015 22:49 #55354 by johnl2
But that's still going to make "z" true to itself when I'm going to need it to be "fake" like x in relation to the end mill. Therefore x, the previous z, will be moving pos instead of neg and vise versa, no?

Thanks,

John

More
26 Jan 2015 22:53 #55355 by andypugh

But that's still going to make "z" true to itself when I'm going to need it to be "fake" like x in relation to the end mill.

Clearly I have misunderstood your requirements.

Also, this thread is no longer about the Moschip P-port but it probably being ignored by anyone with no interest in p-port chips.

Can I suggest that you start a new thread with this new question?

More
27 Jan 2015 00:40 #55356 by johnl2
Sure, I'm sorry. Will you respond when I get the new thread up?

Thank you for all of your help so far,

John

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds