Moschip 9815CV

More
17 Jan 2015 00:29 #55093 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Moschip 9815CV

Actually, I think it does make a file on the desktop, that's right, but it will not let me open the second one

What are the files called?

I would expect the files to end up in (home)/linuxcnc/configs and there will be a .stepconf file, and then a folder containing a number of files inclusing a .ini and a .hal.

If you open LinuxCNC from the CNC menu you should be able to choose the new config in the config picker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2015 01:33 #55097 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Moschip 9815CV
I'm sorry about all of the replies, but you can just ignore all of them, this one will tell you where I'm at. I got the program that I made via stepconf to open by going to applicatins > cnc. But it's not EMC2, it's linuxcnc, totally different interface. But anyway, it works through that. But it does not work with the Sherline Mill MM desktop icon, which is what I use. I have no idea how to use the other interface. So this tells me that the parallel port is actually working, but needs to be configured for EMC2. I tried reinstalling the OS thinking I may have installed the parallel port before installing ubuntu, but that did not work. Any more help on this I would really appreciate. I'm almost there!

Thank you,

John

More
17 Jan 2015 01:36 #55098 by johnl2
Yes Andy, thank you, I did that, but like I said in my previous post, it opens the linuxcnc interface and I feel better using the emc2 interface. I have a part on there right now that is halfway done and I'd be scared sh*t to use an interface that I do not know. I am very comfortable with the old a** emc2 unfortunately and it is configured perfectly for the sherline machine. But the motors are not moving with emc2! So what can I do?

Thanks for responding Andy,

John

More
17 Jan 2015 02:18 #55102 by johnl2
I'd also like to tell you that I tried again to get the parport, this time it worked! I must've typed wrong before or since I reinstalled the OS, now it works, idk. But it just gave me 2 numbers. They are 41040 and 41024. They are not hex, I don't know why, but I got the numbers.

John

More
17 Jan 2015 04:36 #55108 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Moschip 9815CV
Lawyers made us change the name of EMC2 to LinuxCNC. It is the same software.

More
17 Jan 2015 06:27 #55110 by johnl2
Yes, I recently found that out. . . I was on the phone with John for like an hour, great guy. Gave me lots of info. But he was not familiar with a parallel port connected to a pci slot, he said that every one he tried did not work. I fixed my old computer, I put a new PSU into it. But now I want to figure out how to get this pci parallel port to work b/c I'd prefer to use my better computer for EMC2. Does anybody know of a certain pci parallel port that will work with this application?

Thanks,

John

More
17 Jan 2015 15:20 #55119 by ArcEye

More
17 Jan 2015 23:53 #55126 by johnl2
So basically I need to get a new card that is NOT 9815, right?

Thanks for your post,

John

More
17 Jan 2015 23:56 #55127 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Moschip 9815CV
It should work fine, you probably just need to update your hal file with the correct port address

More
18 Jan 2015 00:45 #55128 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV

So basically I need to get a new card that is NOT 9815, right?

If buying a new one, avoid 9815 certainly.
They are flakey, sometimes will not set to input mode, sometimes come up with ports disabled and cannot be put into EPP mode.

If you already have one, try to get it working as PCW says.
The port address is normally the second one and the lower by 0x400 of the pairs listed,
so if lspci -vv shows ports as
0xc400
0xc000
for example

The port address should be 0xc000

regards

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds