Moschip 9815CV

More
21 Jan 2015 01:40 #55216 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV

I have a monster computer I built with about 2K worth of new hardware, graphics, i7, etc, nice machine
I am also open to getting to know a newer system if it will perform better

Your system is way over what is required, I assumed you must be running an old PII or PIII to be using Ubuntu 6!

I own a sherline 2010 8 direction mill

That appears to be a normal sherline 3 axis mill with a sort of turret arrangement.

Now the reason I use EMC2 is b/c sherline told me that it's perfectly configured for their mill

Sherline have not updated their software and configs for years, giving you someting based on Ubuntu 6 is like selling you a Windows95 based system
However there are sample configs for sherline mills and lathe in all the more recent distros of Linuxcnc.

You need to get your parport working before you can get anywhere.

I would suggest that as a compromise for now, you download the Ubuntu 10.04 based distro and install it onto another partition on your computer.

THEN run lspci -vv
(You can either send it to a file or just cut and paste off the screen if necessary, just need to see the output)

Once you get that sorted we can assist change the configs you have been given or to modify the sample ones

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2015 01:43 #55217 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Moschip 9815CV
I don't want to sound like i'm trying to be a wet blanket, but unfortunately realy a good, fast, firebreating computer is not always the best choice for running Linuxcnc. Not that it won't work ,but a relatively modest pc is really all that is needed. Add in the fact that all power saving features, need disabled to get good latency for software stepping, means a fast power hungry CPU is going to run HOT! since it won't be able to cut back power or slow down and idle. And most high end video gear doesn't play well with real time either. Pearsonally, I'd much rather treat a pc running Linuxcnc to oporate a machine, as a dedicated machine control and only use it as such. Keep the fire breathing monster in the office for the cad/cam work (or in the house for gaming if that's what your into).

There are "standard" Sherline configs included with all Linuxcnc installs, some of them are quite old, and may need minor updating to work with the newer versions Linuxcnc. Different ones can be installed and loaded via the config picker. Once you find/make a configuration you like, you can create a launcer icon on the desktop that can open the linuxcnc config you want directly instead of going through the config picker.

More
21 Jan 2015 01:46 - 21 Jan 2015 02:06 #55218 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Moschip 9815CV

Here are the pix, 1938 is EMC2, the one I use. 1939 is the other one that is created when I go into stepconfig wizard. 1939 is the one I do not want to use, 1938 is. The interface that is.

Thank you,

John

1938 is the Mini screen interface, 1939 is the "standard" interface used most in Linuxcnc called Axis. To change interfaces, use a text editor to edit the ini file for your config.
Change the line that is:
DISPLAY = axis
to:
DISPLAY = mini

That will change the interface of your new config to the one you were used to.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2015 02:06 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnl2

More
21 Jan 2015 01:47 #55219 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Moschip 9815CV
Okay, I am in the .ini file now. So I will try to find the lline where the parport is and input that number it spit out when I asked for the port address. But now I really want to get the newest system for this. I'm shocked that sherline did not start using linuxcnc and even if they cannot name it EMC2, so what. . . make sure we're using the latest software! This is ridiculous, I feel like I'm in a different era here! Does anybody know how easy/hard it is to configure the latest version of linuxcnc for a sherline mill? I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks,

John

More
21 Jan 2015 01:55 #55220 by johnl2

File Attachment:

File Name: droppedtext.txt
File Size:77 KB
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2015 02:34 #55223 by johnl2
OKAY, PLEASE DISREGARD ALL QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO THE PARPORT. I got it to work! I just changed the port address to 0 in the hal. The problem was I kept changing the 3 axis one when I keep using the 4 axis. So my mistake. But now I want to focus on getting a newer OS here! But my original problem is solved and this card actually works. So everything is fine with that. I could not have done it without all of you guys helping me so THANK YOU.

John

More
21 Jan 2015 02:42 #55224 by johnl2
Thanks to you guys, I really know what the hell I'm doing now. I did not know a .hal file from a .ini file before this but always read everybody talking about them. And I did not know that emc2 and linuxcnc were the same thing. So now I can do pretty much anything with it and it is much less intimidating that I have recently thought. I really hope that these posts help somebody else having a hard time with this or a similar problem. But like I said, I really want to move on from emc2 and start using a newer system. And what you said Mr. Wet Blanket, I'm glad you told me that b/c I was going to use this computer for a primary mill machine. So now I'm just going to use what I have, which is an Asrock mobo and pentium processor. I think I have 2 gigs of ram in it. I purchased it off ebay and it had DOS on it. Do you think this computer is powerful enough for this application? I can get you more info if you need it.

Very warm thanks to all,

John

More
21 Jan 2015 03:19 #55226 by johnl2
I am currently downloading lucid lynx version from this website. Now sherine's manuals say that they use ubuntu lucid v6.00. Is that lucid lynx? I just want to know the difference.

Anyway, I'm going to install this to my machine and mess around now that I know what I'm doing :evil:

More
21 Jan 2015 03:54 #55228 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV

sherine's manuals say that they use ubuntu lucid v6.00

Lucid is 10
Dapper is 6

More
21 Jan 2015 04:48 #55229 by johnl2
In my manual it says, "Linux (Ubuntu-Lucid build) O/S version 6.00 (Installed starting December 28, 2011):

Version 6.0 (for computers that come with Ubuntu Linux and EMC2 (Also for versions supplied by Sherline on CD with 8760 driver box)
.html version
.pdf version (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to open)"

Apparently this is the one I have. So is this the version of Ubuntu that I just downloaded? Ubuntu 10.04 linuxcnc3-i386.iso

I am very confused about this. They are calling it Lucid Build. Is that Lucid Lynx? If so, then this is an up to date version, no?

Thanks,

John

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds