Moschip 9815CV

More
20 Jan 2015 07:08 #55191 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Moschip 9815CV
I've been trying with different spaces and whatnot, but still the same results. It asks me for the password the first time, then just returns to the regular prompt. It doesn't spit out anything. I even tried it like before without the arrow and it gives me the same thing I posted but that's all that works.

Thanks,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2015 07:10 #55192 by johnl2
Is what you want just the results of "lspci"? B/c I can just get those results and make it into a text file and upload it. That's how I uploaded the last file that I did.

John

More
20 Jan 2015 09:09 - 20 Jan 2015 09:17 #55194 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Moschip 9815CV
What version of linuxcnc are you running?

if its anything even vaguely recent you should be able to just set the port address to 0 (or maybe 1)
that is use the port index rather than address.

or set it to 0xA050 or 0xA040 (41040, 41024 in hex)

What is the actual problem here? that you dont know where the port address goes?
because the port address has be determined days ago and even if unknown the
parallel port index can be used instead (0,1,2 etc)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2015 09:17 by PCW.

More
20 Jan 2015 11:23 #55197 by johnl2
I am running EMC2. It runs ubuntu lucid v6.00.

The problem is that the port will not work with EMC2. But it does work with the other interface if I go into stepconfig and configure it. But it's a totally different interface and I do not know how or want to use it. It's weird that it works with that one, (meaning I can move the motors), and it does not work with EMC2 interface. I know I'm saying it wrong, I know they are the same program, but they have different interfaces and I'm used to EMC2. Where it has the big buttons on the upper left.

Thank you,

John

More
20 Jan 2015 11:36 #55198 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Moschip 9815CV
If you could attach a screen shot of the different "interfaces" you are talking about, I'm sure we could tell you how to get what you want on the newer version.
ie a picture of what you want, and one of what you are stuck with.

More
20 Jan 2015 11:43 #55199 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Moschip 9815CV
This is expected since you have not changed EMC's port address in the
ini or hal file that EMC uses to run your machine.

The hal and ini file will be in your home directory:

cd ~/emc/configs/

should get you to the where the config files are stored but they may be in a subdirectory there

More
20 Jan 2015 16:09 #55202 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Moschip 9815CV

It asks me for the password the first time, then just returns to the regular prompt. It doesn't spit out anything.

It 'spits out' a file called lspci.txt, nothing will appear on the screen, you have diverted the output to a file. It is that you need to find and attach.

Sounds like there are more issues than this.

No-one has used the distro based on Ubuntu 6 for donkeys years. The version of Linuxcnc with it is ancient, probably 2.3

If your computer is so old it will only run 6, get another one, it will be so low powered as to be painful to use.

You can use the Ubuntu 8 based distro with a single processor computer that will not run the SMP kernels well, even that is light years ahead of 6 and will enable running Linuxcnc 2.5 from packages.

regards

More
21 Jan 2015 01:04 #55212 by johnl2
Thank you all for your replies. Let me tell you exactly what my deal is. I have a monster computer I built with about 2K worth of new hardware, graphics, i7, etc, nice machine. I'd like to use that for my mill. But the parallel port that I installed will not work with EMC2 interface. Now the reason I use EMC2 is b/c sherline told me that it's perfectly configured for their mill. I am open to doing anything I need to do in order to make this work with the newest software possible. I am also open to getting to know a newer system if it will perform better. I own a sherline 2010 8 direction mill. I will get some shots of the interfaces that I am speaking of and post them a little later.

Thank you,

John

More
21 Jan 2015 01:28 #55213 by johnl2
Here are the pix, 1938 is EMC2, the one I use. 1939 is the other one that is created when I go into stepconfig wizard. 1939 is the one I do not want to use, 1938 is. The interface that is.

Thank you,

John
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2015 01:31 #55215 by johnl2
Sounds like you guys can really help me here, I do notice that it's very very slow. I am concerned with this as the mill actually messes up a LOT. And I do everything right. What is everybody using for their sherline mills? I'm very shocked at sherline for using such old software. That is ridiculous.

John

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds