Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit

More
24 Dec 2016 00:24 #84654 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit

You can replace the existing power supply withba new one, but i would use the exisring one. Just be sure to use another power supply for the 7i77, and set the jumper to use separate Vin and field power. 7i77 has that option, but the default is set to use the same power.
there are a lot of Biese machines where i live, but no one will pay 7 to 10000 for a retrofit.
Your machine looks really nice, so it is worth the effort to retrofit, for sure.
The last one i was called to check, was in a misserable state and hardly working, it took the seller 3 hours just to make an actual cut.
Good luck with retrofiting, you will enjoy working with it once it is done.

You have 2 power inputs from what I know thats.... 5vdc in and field power in. Is there another one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2016 01:01 #84655 by tommylight
Yes there is. There are two power lines on the field power connector, there is a Vin on pin 5 and Vfield on pins 1 2 3 4. The 5V is logic power so I always use separate power for it.
PCW is welcomed to chime in about this as I got the Mesa cards 2 days ago and so far I only tested the 7i76 on the bench ( well living room table ), but from experience it should be like that.
There is the W1 jumper that has to be set to the right for use with separate power supplies on the Field power connector.

More
24 Dec 2016 01:54 - 24 Dec 2016 01:56 #84656 by bevins

Yes there is. There are two power lines on the field power connector, there is a Vin on pin 5 and Vfield on pins 1 2 3 4. The 5V is logic power so I always use separate power for it.
PCW is welcomed to chime in about this as I got the Mesa cards 2 days ago and so far I only tested the 7i76 on the bench ( well living room table ), but from experience it should be like that.
There is the W1 jumper that has to be set to the right for use with separate power supplies on the Field power connector.

I always thought it was just one set of field power.

Look what I got for Christmas today....... lol, thanks John.....

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2016 01:56 by bevins.

More
24 Dec 2016 02:03 #84657 by bevins
So setting W1 to the right hand position, VIN becomes logic power, then I bring in another source of 24vdc to TB2 pin 1,2,3 or 4 then pin 8 for ground. That way my field power is isolated from the board logic power?

So I could use the existing 24vdc unregulated power for outputs and inputs?

Is that the scenario?

More
24 Dec 2016 03:04 #84659 by tommylight

So setting W1 to the right hand position, VIN becomes logic power, then I bring in another source of 24vdc to TB2 pin 1,2,3 or 4 then pin 8 for ground. That way my field power is isolated from the board logic power?

So I could use the existing 24vdc unregulated power for outputs and inputs?

Is that the scenario?

Yes, that is how it should be, although I would like to get a confirmation from Peter aka PCW.
I have never used Mesa boards, till 2 days ago when I got over 1800 euro worth of Mesa boards :) :) :) :) :)
Then again, I do read a lot, like A LOT, so I remembered reading about 7i76 and 7i77 having separate VIN and VFIELD, and checked it again before answering your post. The 5V is on the input side and that can be provided by the 5i25 or 6i25, or separate power supply ( I tend to use original phone chargers for this, old Motorola with USB connector and lately Samsung, I get originals from a friend that owns a phone shop for 5 euro a piece :) ) . I also use laptop power bricks for everything in the range of 15V ( old Toshiba ) 16V (old IBM) and 18.5 or 19 or 20 ( newer laptops ). This is due to them having high quality electronics and all kinds of protections and being completely separated from mains.
Regards,
Tom

More
24 Dec 2016 03:54 - 24 Dec 2016 03:54 #84662 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
7I76s and 7I77s really have 3 separate power supplies: 5V logic power, VField, and VIN

5V logic power: (from FPGA card or separate) Because the 7I76 draws little 5V logic power
its make sense to get its logic power from the cable/FPGA card. The 7I77 draws considerably
more 5V power and may have multiple encoders connected which all draw 5V power
so while you can run the 7I77 from FPGA for test purposes, its usually better to power
the 5V logic power from an external supply.

VField and VIN: the isolated digital I/O section has separate power for the output drivers and the
isolated logic section The default is to connect VIN and VField together. This works fine for 12V or 24V VField
but will not work for 5V Vfield because switching regulator that supplies the 3.3V for the isolated digital I/O section
has a 8V to 32V input range so will not operate with only 5V supplied. This means that if you have 5V VField
you must separate VIN from VField and supply 8V to 32 V to the VIN pin
Last edit: 24 Dec 2016 03:54 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Dec 2016 04:27 #84663 by bevins
Thanks Peter.

One other question, while setting the jumper to isolate field power with VIN, I would supply 24vdc to VIN and pin 8, but the other power source connects to TB2 pin 1-4 field power and pin 8 gnd? Then use the other 3 pins of field power field power for inputs?

More
29 Dec 2016 23:29 #84888 by bevins
Linuxcnc is up and running with the 5i25 in it and communicating with the 7i77 and I added an input and output from the machine and all is working. Well on the way......

Now I just need to find the time to sleep.....

More
30 Dec 2016 05:27 #84900 by tommylight
Sleep ???? What is this "sleep" you talk about???
It is 6:24 AM here and i have yet to catch some zzzzzzzzzz .............in an hour or two.
It is nice to see the progress you are making.
Regards,
Tom

More
01 Jan 2017 13:34 #85006 by bevins
OK, so The machines limit switches go directly to the servo drives I imagine to shutoff the motion.
I want them to go to Linuxcnc also, so Is there an issue with energizing a relay for each limit switch and sending one contact into Linuxcnc and the other into the drive or should I leave it the way it is? I would obviously leave the switches N/C so the relay is on all the time in case of wire breakage it will trip.

Is this done this way normally or leave it directly attached to the servo drives?

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds