PID issues or calibration help

More
13 Jan 2019 13:09 #124076 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic PID issues or calibration help
No 1V RMS on sine/cosine is proper for the 7I49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 13:40 #124082 by hatch789
Could you please look at the zip file I attached in PG 1 or 2 of this thread. I put my driver files in there for you. You may not recall this but you and Andy were working on finishing that driver for me in 2011. I was possibly your first customer to use it. If you look at the beginning of this thread I give a lot of the details.

More
13 Jan 2019 14:06 #124085 by PCW
Have you updated LinuxCNC? That will give you the latest driver version

More
13 Jan 2019 14:11 #124087 by hatch789
yes I update it quite often ...How do I access the latest driver because I think we named mine something non-standard. We called mine SVRM6_48.BIT

What's the correct driver named that would use the 7i43 Anything card with 400k?

More
13 Jan 2019 14:21 - 13 Jan 2019 14:21 #124088 by PCW
That's the firmware, There have been no changes in the resolver firmware for at least 10 years so I doubt that this is an issue

I think I would first verify that the resolver readout is linear and and accurate with a dial indicator to rule out resolver issues (moving one way to avoid backlash) and then verify that the analog output is working properly as suggested before (unlinking the PID --> PWM connections and manually setting various output voltages and checking with a voltmeter.) Of course this must be done with the drives disabled
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 14:21 by PCW.

More
13 Jan 2019 14:34 #124091 by hatch789
PCW, when I check my vanilla install of LinuxCNC (latest version) I don't show those files "SVRM6*" coming down anywhere. It is not downloading them automatically. And the ones in my live deployment are not downloading or updating to any newer version. I am using "apt update" and "apt upgrade" commands to update my LinuxCNC deployment which appears to be what the documentation states, but maybe I'm missing something. Can you clarify how I should be updating my system and also why I wouldn't see the SVRM6 stuff in my vanilla install?

Also can you give me an example of what you mean by unlinking the PID --> PWM connections and manually setting output voltages? You see my HAL file in pg1 of this thread. If you can get me started with help there I can take it and run all the tests you like with various voltages.

More
13 Jan 2019 15:11 - 13 Jan 2019 15:12 #124093 by PCW
While linuxcnc is running: (and drives disabled)

halcmd unlinkp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value 0
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value -10
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value 10
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value -5
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value 5
etc

Also noticed a big error in the hal file, the feed forward term which is fundamental to proper velocity mode control is broken by a mis-connection

you should comment out all lines like:

net x-vel-fb => pid.0.command-deriv

# net x-vel-fb => pid.0.command-deriv
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 15:12 by PCW.

More
13 Jan 2019 15:47 - 13 Jan 2019 15:52 #124094 by hatch789
Thank you pcw. This is what I've been worried about all along. No one could really offer any help. With the pcnconf off the table I was kind of at the mercy of learning one little piece at a time. People kept saying just adjust your hal file manually but if you don't know what it should look like, how do I know what to shoot for.

So am I only commenting out my net x-vel-fb & y-vel-fb commands? You said all lines like that but to what extent? There are also net x-pos-fb commands but are these OK?

Is there some way I can check my HAL for errors or red flags?

If I had a good working standard HAL to go off of I'd be OK but my problem all along has been a non-standard HAL and no way to compare to anything. So this is why it's been so hard for me.

Also those various halcmd's ...seems like I should be able to enter them interactively. Right? I'm assuming I do them just under the HAL Configuration under the SHOW tab and the Test HAL Command spot at the bottom.

halcmd unlinkp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value 0
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value -10
halcmd setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value 10
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 15:52 by hatch789.

More
13 Jan 2019 15:58 #124095 by PCW
I find it easiest to enter hal commands in a terminal rather than halshow
since you have command line history (up down arrows) so its easy to repeat/edit commands

The only important thing to comment out are the connections to the PID command derivative pins

More
13 Jan 2019 16:22 #124096 by hatch789
OK I have commented all 3 of those out for X, Y and even later Z if I ever add that. Does everything else in my HAL file look OK to you?

I just confirmed with a multimeter that the output from my
setp hm2_7i43.0.pwmgen.00.value's are spot on. They're working perfectly which is a relief.

I guess I'll go ahead and retest my machine now since it sounds like this could greatly affect my PID tuning? Maybe... hopefully? -I need some kind of win here.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds