Multiple tools on the CNC

More
10 Apr 2019 16:33 #130606 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Multiple tools on the CNC

I have to add the above code to the HAL file.
And then if I choose tool 1 (T1) in the CNC program, the port 00 will be activated?

Probably :-)

I haven't tested it. In fact I typed it from memory on a Windows PC ;-)

It will probably need changes, I doubt that you are actually using a parallel port interface? And some or all of the pins in the sample code are not even outputs on the parallel port.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2019 16:39 #130607 by Peterdeleu
The machine is still working now with an old NC481 controller.
There are a few problems, and a whole lot of limitations.
Therefore I'm preparing a retrofit.
I'll use Mesa 5i25 and 7i77, but first I need to know if all is possible before I take the NC481 down and replace :)

I was able to identify most of the electrical cables, so the next step is the connection of the servo's to the 7i77 and after this building up the rest of the logic.

So to answer, no, I'll not use the parallel port interface. It will be the 7i77.

More
10 Apr 2019 17:13 #130609 by Todd Zuercher
Do you ever need to use more than one of the tools at the same time? The above example won't do that. But doing it with another interface like Mesa hardware instead of the parallel port example is simply changing the hal pin names for the outputs.

More
10 Apr 2019 17:30 #130610 by Peterdeleu
At this moment I use several tools at the same time.
But that is not really needed in the future.
This is currently used to drill wholes of the same diameter in a row (32mm or 64mm separated).

More
10 Apr 2019 17:38 #130611 by Todd Zuercher
You could use custom m code(s) to call down multiple or additional tools.

More
10 Apr 2019 17:41 #130612 by Peterdeleu
Ok M codes :) I'll look at this.

But the goal is to use Fusion 360 and the LinuxCNC postprocessor.
This will not generate M codes i think.

More
10 Apr 2019 18:01 #130614 by Todd Zuercher
Custom m codes isn't the only way this can be done. There was a discussion here a few weeks ago that talked about multiple ways to do this.

Pretty sure the posts for Fusion are customizable.

More
10 Apr 2019 18:28 - 10 Apr 2019 18:50 #130617 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Multiple tools on the CNC

Do you ever need to use more than one of the tools at the same time? The above example won't do that.

If you swap the "demux" in the sample for a "bitslice" and number the tools 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ... 65536, 131072 then you can just add together the numbers of the tools you want to activate.

Use G43 Hnnnn to choose which of the tools you want to use the offsets from. I don't think you can easily use multiple offsets at the same time, but then it doesn't sound like your machine allows that either?
Last edit: 10 Apr 2019 18:50 by andypugh.

More
10 Apr 2019 20:46 #130620 by Todd Zuercher
Does your machine only have a multi spindle drilling head or does it also have a router head(s) with or without a tool changer as well?

More
10 Apr 2019 20:52 #130623 by Peterdeleu
The machine has a spindle head with with 16 drills and one saw. All of these are starting the same time. But they can individually pushed down by a pneumatic cilinder. There's another router (separate spindle motor) without a tool changer. This router is must also pushed down by a pneumatic cylinder.
In the control cabinet, all these pneumatic cilinders are currently connected to an output on the NC481 (numerical control unit and build-in PLC)

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds