New Mill Build...Can I use LinuxCNC?

More
19 Sep 2020 16:26 - 19 Sep 2020 17:19 #182758 by Mayberry Customs
I am finally ready to run the wiring on my machine. I am getting ready to Hook the VFD to my Mesa 7i76E. I have attached the diagrams that were included with the Chinese VFD. I have Norberts diagram but I am not sure how to make all the connections as the terms don’t correlate between each diagram. Can anyone help me with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Andy
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2020 17:19 by Mayberry Customs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2020 17:07 #182762 by Mayberry Customs
Just a quick update on the progress. Like I said, in the middle of wiring and running coolant lines etc.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
19 Sep 2020 17:22 #182763 by Mayberry Customs
Sorry for the double post but I realized since I posted the two above separately and the update picture last, that I might not get the wiring answer I need. Anyways here is it is again...I am finally ready to run the wiring on my machine. I am getting ready to Hook the VFD to my Mesa 7i76E. I have attached the diagrams that were included with the Chinese VFD. I have Norberts diagram but I am not sure how to make all the connections as the terms don’t correlate between each diagram. Can anyone help me with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Andy [/quote]

More
19 Sep 2020 20:38 #182784 by tommylight
             Mesa                                 VFD
1 SPINDLE-                                  GND
2 SPINDLE OUT                          10V in PIN 4
3 SPINDLE+                                 12V OUT PIN1
4 NC
5 SPINDLE ENA-                         GND
6 SPINDLE ENA+                       FWD PIN8
7 SPINDLE DIR-                          GND
8 SPINDLE DIR+                         REV PIN9
Might want to wait for PCW to confirm this.

More
19 Sep 2020 21:04 #182785 by PCW
It looks like the drive only supports FWD/REV mode so reverse operation would require
a SPDT relay driven by the direction signal (or 7I76 field output) to steer the ENA signal
to either FWD or REV

Tommylights connections would work for forward only if you disconnect the REV pin
One thing you might change is to use 5V instead of 12V and set the inverter for 0-5V
in rather the 0-10V. This will simplify scaling

Relay connections:
SPINDLE ENA+ --> RELAY Common
RELAY NO --> FWD
RELAY NC --> REV
RELAY COIL +  --> +12 or +24V
RELAY COIL- --> DIR+

Relay needs a flyback diode if driven by DIR output
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Sep 2020 21:12 #182787 by Mayberry Customs
Wow perfect, thank you so much guys...just so everyone knows I emailed mesa directly about an hour ago. PCW emailed me back almost immediately and told me he seen my post on here and would put the answer here...now that’s great customer service. Thanks again, Andy

More
17 Oct 2020 21:32 #186387 by Mayberry Customs
Hi guys, I have now wired everything on the machine and I am now onto setup...I have went through configuration a couple of times, and I am having a problem getting my stepper motors to move properly...when I try to jog the machine they just kind of shutter and shake in place until I hit the e stop. Another thing is I can’t use the test motor function or launch test panel in pncconfig, I get nothing when I click the launch test panel button on the connection page and a get a error with a big red x when I click to test the motor settings.
I’ll try to give some information that will assist in solving the issue...as stated throughout the thread I am using a Mesa 7i76e control board. The drivers are Longs motor DM860A. The steppers are longs Motor Short body NEMA 34’s wired like the diagram I have attached. I also will attach the spec sheet for the motors...
I do not know the proper timing for these drives but I have try a few different settings the most recent being 10000 10000 8000 5000...I have set the drives themselves to 2.8 amps and 1600 micro stepping. I’m not sure about the 2.8 amp setting but as far as I can gather that should be correct
In config I have 8 for micro step scaling.... I am wired to the Mesa from drive as PUL + and Step + / PUL - and Step - / Dir+ and Dir+ / Dir- and Dir- with the ground and 5v not connected.

I’m sure there is some kind of setting or configuration that I have wrong somewhere but I can’t figure it out. Like I said when I try to jog, the motors just kind of chatter and shake endlessly until stopped. Let me know if I need to add any other information, and any help is so greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

u
Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2020 21:45 #186390 by PCW
Can you post your hal and ini files?

A possible hardware issue is that some step motor drives work better
with single ended drive (so drives STEP+ and DIR+ go to 5V and drives STEP- and
DIR- go to 7I76Es STEP- and DIR-)

More
17 Oct 2020 22:19 #186400 by rodw
I have used the Longs Motor DM542a and these settings work (I know they are super short) I think I used 20x microstepping.
DIRSETUP   = 500
DIRHOLD    = 500
STEPLEN    = 1000
STEPSPACE  = 1000
STEP_SCALE = 1000

All I did was to connect the wiring direct to the mesa stepgen
Step+ to Pul+
Step- to Pul-
Dir+ to Dir+
Dir- to Dir-

I did notice there was a different wiring layout for Parallel ports.

More
17 Oct 2020 23:06 #186409 by Mayberry Customs
Ok i have attached the .hal and .ini. I can try the different wiring later tonight. Rod i will try those settings before i try the wiring change.Thanks.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds