linuxcnc 2.8 release problem

More
11 Sep 2020 10:24 #181742 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem
Sorry for muddying Mud's topic.

Rod thanks for the history lesson .
How do you think we did gantry machines before 2.8.

I don't really care what was done before 2.8. I started my journey fully expecting to have to use the joint axis branch but by the time I had working hardware, it had been pushed to master branch which was 2.8. Because I had made the decision to use a Mesa ethernet card (7i76e), I had to run PREEMPT_RT. I had no interest in using obsolete parallel port interfaces. Despite what was written in the docs at the time, I had a major issue with driver support that could not be resolved with Debian. Mint did it on its ear out of the box. But I still had to get PREEMPT_RT. So I had no choice but to compile the kernel to use the 7i76e. Its not that hard, I've done it a few times since.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2020 11:43 #181749 by BeagleBrainz
I remember building kernels on an old 486 with 4mb RAM. Start it at night and hopefully by the time you got home from work the next day it was done. Of course the sources were downloaded on dial up on a 28.8k modem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, CORBETT

More
11 Sep 2020 12:14 #181751 by Clive S

@Tommy
Have you tried

Disable secure boot
Disable UEFI
Enable Legacy Boot

:woohoo:
I disable everything the moment i turn on any PC! :)
That was addressed at Clive.
Thank you very much for your effort, your help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tom.

It would be nice to get this post BACK ON track :)

Tom. I have downloaded the new Buster ISO and made the bootable usb (as I have done so many time in the past)

The USB boots fine and gets as far as configuring the network than hangs. Booting to the live image (ie no install) its loads OK and can access the net etc.

I have tried it with graphical install and install with the same result. The USB stick boots and loads properly on a different PC.

So it seems picky

I am now disappointed because of all the packages missing ie power saving, auto login, and many others. To me its a big step backwards.

While Beagles ISO works every time on any PC that I have tried it on with all the packages intact.

More
11 Sep 2020 12:26 #181753 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem
I must say besides the power saving I have not missed anything yet. Somehow the auto login I always did like that.

But LinuxMint is the more polished distro. Just not based on Debian 10 yet I suppose.

More
11 Sep 2020 13:03 #181757 by Clive S

I must say besides the power saving I have not missed anything yet. Somehow the auto login I always did like that.

But LinuxMint is the more polished distro. Just not based on Debian 10 yet I suppose.

The networking is at the top right corner is confusing and not as easy to use.

Was there any reason to go with Debian over the mint distro ?

More
11 Sep 2020 13:16 #181758 by tommylight

The USB boots fine and gets as far as configuring the network than hangs. Booting to the live image (ie no install) its loads OK and can access the net etc.

Well id o not think there is a way of disabling IPV6 during installation, might have something to do with that. Also you can try choosing a different server during installation, see if that helps.

Debian is used because it is completely open source, while Mint is not, it comes with some proprietary drives and other stuff that make use easier. In my tutorial about Debian 10 i used the non free version of Debian Buster that is less finicky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, Aciera

More
11 Sep 2020 13:18 - 11 Sep 2020 13:20 #181759 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic linuxcnc 2.8 release problem
I would assume that the newest Debian was chosen rather than some derivative of an older predecessor like Mint. Also maybe with the XFCE Desktop its more lightweight? But really I'm just guessing.

[edit]
Thank tommy for being faster and better informed :)
Last edit: 11 Sep 2020 13:20 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
11 Sep 2020 14:02 #181762 by Himarc3D
Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the official Debian system. However, Debian also maintains a repository of nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the project's main servers, and people can readily find these nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database and its wiki.

There is also a “contrib” repository; its packages are free, but some of them exist to load separately distributed proprietary programs. This too is not thoroughly separated from the main Debian distribution.

Debian is the only common non-endorsed distribution to keep nonfree blobs out of its main distribution. However, the problem partly remains. The nonfree firmware files live in Debian's nonfree repository, which is referenced in the documentation on debian.org, and the installer in some cases recommends them for the peripherals on the machine.

In addition, some of the free programs that are officially part of Debian invite the user to install some nonfree programs. Specifically, the Debian versions of Firefox and Chromium suggest nonfree plug-ins to install into them.

Debian's wiki also includes pages about installing nonfree firmware.

www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
11 Sep 2020 16:43 #181771 by Todd Zuercher
Any of you Mint proponents mess around with LMDE instead of the regular Mints?

More
11 Sep 2020 17:52 #181777 by tommylight
There is one that uses LMDE here but not sure of the name. Some days ago it was mentioned here and i would think that the "quick and easy" for Mint or Debian 10 would also work for LMDE without to much hassle.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds