Installing second parallel port

More
10 Jun 2021 13:41 #211696 by john11668
Sorry I was following the instructions from our youtube friend in the OP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2021 15:48 #211710 by john11668
Tried both .Neither threw up an error
But neither worked either

More
10 Jun 2021 15:58 #211711 by john11668

John the link to the forum thread I gave for the card with the same ID as your card explains how to get the card going.

Did you try the parallel port tester ?

Do you look at the links or am I wasting (insert commonly used Australian word) time ?

No you are not wasting your time BB but is there any point in testing a parallel port which the machine is unable to see, and it tells me to toggle inputs to see if lights are activated . I have not yet any inputs to toggle ??

More
10 Jun 2021 16:15 #211715 by BeagleBrainz
Yes that’s exactly what I’d suggest something that has absolutely no point.
I’ve tried to point you towards topics where another user had has the same issue, and this issue has come up many times, yet for some reason or another you can’t or won’t see the issues are the same or very similar.
One topic had the OP with basically the same card as yourself and they seem to have came up with a solution.
I even spent a hour going through my garage looking for some parallel port cards just to try some solutions.
I’ve given up on this topic, there are others with more patience than myself and I don’t want a banning for letting you know what I really think.
So I bid you goodbye.

More
10 Jun 2021 17:25 - 10 Jun 2021 17:31 #211719 by john11668

Yes that’s exactly what I’d suggest something that has absolutely no point.
I’ve tried to point you towards topics where another user had has the same issue, and this issue has come up many times, yet for some reason or another you can’t or won’t see the issues are the same or very similar.

One topic had the OP with basically the same card as yourself and they seem to have came up with a solution.

I even spent a hour going through my garage looking for some parallel port cards just to try some solutions.
I’ve given up on this topic, there are others with more patience than myself and I don’t want a banning for letting you know what I really think.
So I bid you goodbye.

I did search and did follow links , and I did see a couple who it seemed to me did nor reach a satisfactory conclusion.
The one that did did not help in my case

I am sorry that you feel this way. but I made it clear from the start that I was new to linux and needed leading by the hand.
Single line responses seldom impart useful information and I have had a couple of those which I was tempted to respond to at the time .
Links to an equally complicated topic do not help me much either unless you then guide me to the information within that link.

I am a little bit surprised that if this is such a common problem no procedure seems to have been written to guide users on the choice installation procedure for a suitable card.

I have ordered card which I am reliably informed does the job and utilises a standard PCI slot.
I presume that I will still need to "find it " in the system and enter suitable address parameters into my Hal file so if anyone can spell out to me how to go about this I would much appreciate it.

Now that BB's toys are out of the pram, is there anyone else willing to take up the baton on this thread.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2021 17:31 by john11668.

More
10 Jun 2021 19:26 #211724 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Installing second parallel port
Linux does not need to "see" the card

This is because LinuxCNC's parallel port driver can access
the card without involving Linux at all. (as long as you specify the
cards base address so the driver has access)

This is why people have suggested using the parallel port test
utility to verify access. If this works, LinuxCNC will work with the
card

There is one exception, there are cards that require non-standard
chip specific setup before they operate and have a standard
parallel port register map.These typically require a Linux driver
that can properly initialize the chip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668

More
10 Jun 2021 19:34 #211725 by john11668
I can follow that , thanks .
Let me get my new card in place and hopefully you can guide me to the correct address to place in my Hal file

More
10 Jun 2021 19:58 #211727 by fc60
Greetings,

I have been following this post with great interest.

A question to the more astute hardware folks.

If I install a second Parallel Port card would it show up in the BIOS settings?

Cheers,

David

More
10 Jun 2021 20:22 #211729 by tommylight

If I install a second Parallel Port card would it show up in the BIOS settings?

No.

Here are some topic to read through, i am sure there are mentioned several ways of testing parallel ports, the easiest being firing the port tester and using a piece of thin wire inserted in one of the inputs (pins 10,11,12,13,15) and watching the LED on screen change color.
Sorry but no time to sift through .....
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668

More
10 Jun 2021 20:47 #211731 by john11668
So new PP has to be connected to a BOB in order to test Tommy?

was there supposed to be a link or links in the post above

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds