Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?

More
12 Aug 2021 10:57 #217596 by tommylight
Try
www.mesaus.com
If you are in USA, otherwise eusurplus.com is very good, i get most of the stuff from them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2021 15:13 #217618 by vmihalca
Replied by vmihalca on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?
Any idea why it doesn't have the support software link that is listed for other boards?
Like this one for example: store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...t_id=343&search=7i95
Is it discontinued or something?

More
12 Aug 2021 15:49 #217621 by tommylight
7i97 should be similar to a 7i92/7i77 combo, and it is very new so not discontinued for sure.
Might want to post that question in the "driver boards" section of the forum as PCW is always there, and he is the owner of Mesa.

More
16 Aug 2021 20:02 #217914 by vmihalca
I was wondering how come the firmware file is not available for this board.

More
16 Aug 2021 22:23 #217917 by vmihalca
What I am trying to figure out these days is what features of a 30y old sinumerik 805 I will loose if I switch to linuxcnc. I know the benefits of linuxcnc but I don't know its limitations compared to a professional controller.
The downsides of sinumerik now are:
- an almost dead monitor for which I cannot find a replacement on a decent price
- software in german and quite difficult to transfer programs onto it.
I am talking about tool tip radius compensation, wear offsets, threading and I don't know what other features.
Now that I have played a bit with sinumerik 805 and its custom implementation from Weiler, if I do the retrofit, I will make something closer to what it is now in terms of functionalities.
I am willing to implement my own VCP so I could implement some of the high level functionalities in python (or java, that's what I'm trying to figure out now).

More
17 Aug 2021 21:07 #218015 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?

I am talking about tool tip radius compensation,

Built in to LinuxCNC.

wear offsets,

Can be configured, see the lathe-fanucy sim config

threading

LinuxCNC is excellent at threading. It is about as good as is possible. Perhaps tapered threads could be easier, but other than that it a real strength (and is probably why Tormach switched to LinuxCNC for their lathes)

More
09 Nov 2021 15:29 #225842 by vmihalca
For my weiler lathe, the cam switch for homing the Z axis is somewhere on 1/3 of the total bed length towards the chuck. Before the machine is homed, if the Z axis is past the cam for homing switch, I would need to move the Z axis right before the cam homing switch before starting the procedure.
How can I enable the MPG for jogging the Z axis while not homed, I can move it via keyboard but the MPG-s are working only after the machine is homed.

More
09 Nov 2021 16:00 #225850 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?
You probably only need to connect the MPG to both the axis.z.jog.... and joint.1.jog.... HAL pins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vmihalca

More
09 Nov 2021 17:47 #225860 by vmihalca
Thanks, it worked! :D

More
18 Nov 2021 08:52 #226845 by vmihalca
This weiler e30 lathe has a 4 way position joystick that sinumerik was using to act as power feed when the spindle was on. 
So while the spindle was on, it was acting like a G1 with the specified feed. 
Is there a way I could achieve the same functionality just by linking hal pins? 
Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds