Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?

More
01 Dec 2021 07:30 #228096 by vmihalca
Replied by vmihalca on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?
Hi Andy,
By using halui.axis.Z.plus/minus, can I achieve feed per rev?
The machine would still be in manual mode, so mpg's would be active.
Also the sinumerik had taper turning, when you were toggling a button on the controller, and when taper turning was active, actuating the joystick would move both axes so that it would cut a taper.
I have achieved all that functionality with my implementation and it seems to work so far.
I think the nicest way of obtaining this would be with a custom component, but I don't have enough c/c++ skills for that.

I am now trying to figure out Constant surface speed mode.
When G96 D2500 S250 is active, should the spindle accelerate/decelerate when jogging the X axis with the MPG?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2021 08:54 #228100 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?

By using halui.axis.Z.plus/minus, can I achieve feed per rev?

If you scaled the input to the jog-speed pin relative to spindle speed, then yes, approximately.

Also the sinumerik had taper turning, when you were toggling a button on the controller, and when taper turning was active, actuating the joystick would move both axes so that it would cut a taper.

I don't actually see much use for that, why wouldn't you just run G-code?
On my lathe I just type in the finish diameter, the finish Z, the depth of cut and feed per rev on my GUI and hit go for normal turning. If I want a taper I just need to additionally change the angle from zero

I have achieved all that functionality with my implementation and it seems to work so far.
I think the nicest way of obtaining this would be with a custom component, but I don't have enough c/c++ skills for that.

If you want to do taper turning then I think that it _has_ to be done in a realtime component, doing it in userspace Python will tend to lead to inconsistent motion. You won't really see this in a straight line and a single axis.

I am now trying to figure out Constant surface speed mode.
When G96 D2500 S250 is active, should the spindle accelerate/decelerate when jogging the X axis with the MPG?

Not only should it, but it does.

More
01 Dec 2021 18:23 #228139 by vmihalca
I know that a realtime component is needed for that, but I have done it is just some calculus that based on an angle, it determines a point in the machine bounds, then it issues a G1 command to that point, I do that in my software when the joystick is actuated, and when it returns to neutral, I set feed-hold=1, then switch to manual mode and when it switched to manual mode, I set feed-hold=0. The stopping logic is done in ladder.
I have found that for most of repair jobs, I am more efficient with a manual lathe so I want to keep those capabilities as close as the original controller had them.
So far it seems that my logic works, but I was thinking that a c++ realtime component for that would be the way to go, that way it could be reused by others that have servo-conventional lathes.

More
01 Dec 2021 19:56 #228149 by vmihalca
And for some reason, G96 does not seem to work for me, I have the spindle encoder linked, I have set the X0 of the tool at the center of the part..no idea why its not variating the speed...

More
01 Dec 2021 23:30 #228160 by andypugh
Have you seen: forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/26550-lathe-macros?start=150#82743

I know at least one other Weiler is using these macros.

I think that these are faster than hand-feeding, and still require no G-code.
And example of use:

(but that is an old video, and my old lathe)

I only ever make one-offs and I am convinced that I am quicker with these macros than with a manual lathe, because it is like a power-feed with auto repeat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoWerna

More
02 Dec 2021 14:02 #228188 by vmihalca
I will have automatic cycles too, and for repetitive operations, I will use those.
The lathe macros will be a great source of inspiration, but I am kinda reinventing the wheel here.
My lathe UI is written in Kotlin & Compose for Desktop. I am using JNI to communicate with the linuxcnc, and I've already built most of the functionality that already exists in the linnuxcnc python library.
The reason I decided to go with Kotlin instead of python, is that at work, I am an Android developer, and the new Compose framework used to build UI for Android, is also available for multiplatform development.
I need to learn that new framework for job purposes, but don't wanna do it through useless hello world apps. So besides working in an object oriented environment, I am also achieving the learning part by doing something useful to me.

More
02 Dec 2021 19:24 #228217 by vmihalca
I have discovered why G96 does not work as I expected.
I start the spindle by linking the inputs from spindle lever switch to halui.spindle.0.reverse or halui.spindle.0.forward. The spindle starts fine in both rev of fwd, but g96 does not work correctly
Then if I type in MDI an M4 or M3, the CSS starts to work properly.
Is there a way avoid sending an M3 or M4 command in order to activate CSS and still rely on the physical lever switch?

More
09 Dec 2021 21:09 #228732 by andypugh

Is there a way avoid sending an M3 or M4 command in order to activate CSS and still rely on the physical lever switch?

Not an easy one that I know of.
You could try linking the physical lever to the halui.spindle.... pins, see if that works? 
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man1/halui.1.html

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds