Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?

More
22 Nov 2021 12:20 #227293 by vmihalca
Replied by vmihalca on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?
I would totally participate to a LinuxCNC fest! :D
Hopefully when this covid ends, that will be resumed, I would love to meet other guys passionate about LinuxCNC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2021 13:59 #227296 by tommylight

..... I would love to meet other guys passionate about LinuxCNC.

Hi, my name is Tom and i am a LinuxCNC addict! :)

More
24 Nov 2021 08:58 #227481 by vmihalca
Hi Tom, nice to meet you! :D
Are you also a developer of linuxcnc?
I have made a custom UI for my lathe, built in kotlin (some kind of java on steroids), and it communicates with linuxcnc library with a JNI layer.
So far I don't know anyone who knows more low level details about linuxcnc.
If you can point me to someone, I would be grateful! :)

More
24 Nov 2021 09:16 #227483 by okmarts2
Replied by okmarts2 on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?
LinuxCNC is excellent at threading. ABB HMI CP430BIt is about as good as is possible. Perhaps tapered threads could be easier, but other than that it a real strength (and is probably why Tormach switched to LinuxCNC for their lathes)

More
24 Nov 2021 09:41 #227491 by tommylight
No i am not a developer, but i love LinuxCNC since the first day due to hal and versatility it offers.
And there are plenty of members here who know much more than i do about low level stuff.
I just have a lot of experience with it testing everything i could think of. :)

More
24 Nov 2021 10:02 #227492 by vmihalca
Awesome! Since I am building everything from gcode generators through conversational I will need to understand everything in depth, so I will need your help! Now I am trying to digest G70, G71, G72 :)

More
25 Nov 2021 19:42 #227582 by vmihalca
I have ran into an issue with my lathe conversion. 
I have have created a hal component from code, I have linked the 4 positions of the joystick to my pins, so I can observe in the software the state of the joystick. Then when in order to do the power feed functionality, when the joystick is moved towards Z- I issue programatically an mdi command that does "G53 G1 Z{zAxis.minLimit"}.
This will feed the axis at the set feed rate until I bring the joystick to neutral position, when I call programatically taskAbort, which stops the feeding motion. The nice thing about this is that I can easily turn chamfers, tapers (a functionality that sinumerik has), because I am calculating a destination point withing the machine bounds, based on a user entered angle, then I do an G1 towards that coordinate. This is also tested and works brilliantly. 
The problem is that when I do taskAbort this also stops the spindle, not only the feeding motion. So I need to find a way to stop the feeding motion without stopping the spindle. 
I am out of ideas, if you have any suggestions, please let me know...

More
26 Nov 2021 04:02 #227616 by d2inventory
can't you just set the feed rate to 0?

More
26 Nov 2021 22:06 #227693 by vmihalca
That seems to work.
I am now trying to figure out why in G95, it feeds even without the spindle being on.
motion.spindle-speed-in is connected, also spindle at speed is connected.

G95 - is Units per Revolution Mode In units per revolution mode, an F word is interpreted to mean the controlled point should move a certain number of inches per revolution of the spindle, depending on what length units are being used and which axis or axes are moving. G95 is not suitable for threading, for threading use G33 or G76. G95 requires that motion.spindle-speed-in to be connected.

More
30 Nov 2021 22:04 #228073 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Weiler E30 Lathe retrofit?

I have have created a hal component from code, I have linked the 4 positions of the joystick to my pins, so I can observe in the software the state of the joystick. Then when in order to do the power feed functionality, when the joystick is moved towards Z- I issue programatically an mdi command that does "G53 G1 Z{zAxis.minLimit"}.

That seems like a slightly crazy way to do it!

Why not just link the joystick to the halui.axis.X.plus / minus and halui.axis.Z.plus / minus HAL pins? 

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds