Please Help - How to Configure a 5 Axis Head-Head

More
24 Jul 2023 19:13 - 24 Jul 2023 19:15 #276163 by IronManDylan
PCW
Okay, I have wired the spindle up that way and have put my VFD back into the 0-10v range. Will test this when I get replacement cable and box installed along with testing everything else. Thank you. 

MesaFlash: Okay, I tried the command that you suggested, as well as a bunch of permeations of said command as well as using sudo, and a I kept getting "No 7I96S board found". Also tried with just 7I96.  The 7I96S was plugged into my comp via ethernet. Maybe I need to update mesaflash? maybe there is some other issue? However, based on the output you provided, on the 7i85S table 2 - pins 11,12 are step5 pins, and table 2 - 13,14 are dir5 pins. This jibes with where I thought they would be based on the manual.  However, it raises the question, does this mean that the - and + sign on step and dir pins can be ignored when comes to wiring stepper drivers?   

Aciera
Appreciate the spoiler. Well that worked in the sense that I was able to launch the GUI and see 3 rotary axis.  However, the TCP is all messed up when the machine is in "bridgemill" mode.  In Vismach, the A axis controls what should be the B axis, the B axis controls what should be the C axis. And the C axis isn't moving anything on Vismach.  When it is in TCP mode Vismach shows all the axis moving when I jog one of the A or B rotary axis, so it is still trying to do the kinematics but they are completely wrong and its draws weird archs instead of remaining at the same point.  Good news is that in the preview and "identity" mode, the A and C axis are spinning round the same axis, which is good as there are supposed to be two axis aligned with each other, but they should be the B and A axis.  So it seems like if we could redirect the axis to the appropriate joints on the machine, everything should just work I would think. Do you happen to know how to do this? 

Thank you. 
Last edit: 24 Jul 2023 19:15 by IronManDylan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2023 22:49 - 24 Jul 2023 22:59 #276178 by PCW
For the mesaflash command to work, you would need

1. 7I96S set for 10.10.10.10 IP address (W4, W5 = down,up)
( you need a 7I96S power cycle if you change these jumpers)

2. Host PC setup with a static IPV4 IP address in the same /24 range
(10.10.10.100 suggested). See hm2_eth manual page.

You can verify host IP address setup with the command:

ip a

The 7I96S (and 7I85S) have differential output drivers for the step/dir signals.
This means both the + and - step/dir outputs are active but have opposite polarities.
for normal (lower speed) step drives, suggested wiring is single ended:

7IXX DRIVE
+5V --> STEP+ (sometimes called PUL+)
+5V --> DIR+
STEP- --> STEP- (sometimes called PUL-)
DIR- --> DIR-

For high speed servo drives (with up to MHz step rates),
the suggested wiring is differential:

7IXX DRIVE
STEP+ --> STEP+
STEP- --> STEP-
DIR+ --> DIR+
DIR- --> DIR-

Last edit: 24 Jul 2023 22:59 by PCW. Reason: fix table/clarify
The following user(s) said Thank You: IronManDylan

More
25 Jul 2023 01:58 - 25 Jul 2023 02:09 #276192 by IronManDylan
PCW
Okay I tried modifying the PC file via this link linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/hm2_eth.9.html and could not get it to work. I have provided images of both the file and the results of ip a command.  This is like readying a foreign language to me a little bit, so I apologize if I am missing something obvious.  I also tried with the address set as 10.10.10.10 as well as had auto lo and iface lo inet loopback still in the file and those didn't work either. 

I modified the 7I96S with the jumpers as you stated, according to the board this puts it in EEPROM mode, so does this mean it is getting the address from the PC? 

I am still getting the error "No 7I96S board found" when I try to connect via mesaflash. 

Note: I don't think the computer has connected to the board once, it looks like there is a connection status light on the board that I have not seen light up yet. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2023 02:09 by IronManDylan.

More
25 Jul 2023 02:17 #276195 by tommylight
enp0s25 instead of eth1, twice

More
25 Jul 2023 03:46 - 25 Jul 2023 04:14 #276198 by IronManDylan
Tommy
That worked! The pins are all showing secondary function "none" on the 7I85S, I'm sure theres a jumper that needs to be changed, going to look through the manual now.  Edit: doesn't seem like this is a jumper thing, something programmed through mesaflash?

But PCW, you're saying that a stepper motor driver shouldn't be plugged into step+ -> step+ and dir+ -> dir+ ?  Should I go change my wiring to:
+5V --> STEP+ 
+5V --> DIR+
STEP- --> STEP-
DIR- --> DIR-

Was working this way with my other board but will def change it if thats a better way to do things. 

Thank you. 
Last edit: 25 Jul 2023 04:14 by IronManDylan.

More
25 Jul 2023 06:25 #276202 by Aciera

However, the TCP is all messed up when the machine is in "bridgemill" mode. 

Indeed, as I was in a rush I didn't check the vismach simulation.  One solution is to add the joint for the a axis after those used in the vismach model. So try this:

Warning: Spoiler!

More
25 Jul 2023 11:39 #276216 by tommylight
Do not change any jumpers on 7i96S, only the one that sets the network to 10.10.10.10
Did you flash the 7i96S with firmware for 7i85S?
As for stepper wiring, if it works as you have it, leave it as is. Some drives are picky so need what PCW suggested (single ended wiring), some work in differential mode.

More
25 Jul 2023 19:18 - 25 Jul 2023 19:18 #276251 by IronManDylan
Aciera
Hot damn, that seems to be working! On Vismach anyway, sent it some test code too. Very very excited to see this.  I think the next move is to try it on the machine. Thank you so much! :)

Tommy
Okay, I will leave things wired as is right now.  No I have not flashed anything.  Do I need to? Mesaflash is showing that the 7I85S is connected, even though there is no secondary func on the i/o pins. I think this and pin configuration in LCNC are the last two hurdles before testing on the machine.  Well, I think I have a bum stepper driver that needs to be replaced, but other than that..
Last edit: 25 Jul 2023 19:18 by IronManDylan.

More
26 Jul 2023 19:48 #276321 by IronManDylan
Got the board flashed and all the pins connected! The driver that was off just had a loose wire.  Hopefully will get the machine moving this evening or early tomorrow.  The question I have right now is wether I should be using pncconf to get everything talking nicely or if I need to be editing files because I am using an unusual bridgemill adaption. 

Also, am thinking about some kind of subroutine to set tool hight relative to machine position (first would need to determine where rotation center is relative to machine position but I have some ideas for this).  I have a tool probe but my machine has a collet system so tool setting is not repeatable. 

More
27 Jul 2023 20:19 - 27 Jul 2023 20:25 #276399 by IronManDylan
So, I set up a test configuration using pncconf, and was able to get my linear axis moving on the machine (there is not an option for setting up a 5 or 6 axis on this wizard, so only linear axis are moving). I haven't configured the step scaling or tuned the motors, as I plan to address that later.  Just wanted to get things moving initially. 

So I can modify the test config with the .pncconf file, but there is not one of those in the bridgemill set up. So what I think needs to be done is a .hal file needs to be either modified or added to the birdgemill configuration to get it talking to the 7I96S.  The naming scheme on the test configuration was test.ini and test.hal.  There is a 5axis.ini file on the bridgemill config, but not a 5axis.hal.  Which leads me to believe that this needs to be added to the configuration.  But I am unsure.  There are a total of 19 .hal files in the bridgemill file. My suspicion is that bridgemill was set up to test 5 axis TCP kinematics, but that no mesa set up was added.  

Or maybe a few lines of code need to be added to one of these existing .hal files, but I have no idea which one would need that or where and what needs to be added. The 5axis_cmds.hal file has a lot of net setup commands so maybe somewhere in there. Also, the core_servo.hal file has some of the same PID set up as the test.hal file.  I did notice in the 5axisgui.hal and 5axis_postgui.hal file that the axis change that Aciera helped me add to the .ini file does not reflect the A axis that we added there, this should probably be changed? When I try to launch the bridgemill I am getting an error that I believe is related to this.  I have attached a photo as well as the output when I click 'YES".

I am watching YouTube videos about hal files trying to gain a better understanding, but this is a deep area to dive into. So if anyone has any guidance or suggestions or other form of help, I am all ears.  I'm sure this is an easy fix if this is your field, but I am pretty lost here. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2023 20:25 by IronManDylan.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds