Help needed to get my 7i76E + 7i85S + 7i73 on my mill going.

More
12 Aug 2017 13:18 - 12 Aug 2017 13:20 #97372 by andypugh
Ah, OK. The commands you want are "setp" to set a pin and "sets" to set a signal.

I actually find it easier to use a separate terminal window, because then you get history (up arrow and down arrow to bring back previous commands and tab-completion.
To open an interactive HAL session with LinuxCNC running:

halcmd -kf

setp hm2_7i76e.0.7i73.0.1.output-10 1
setp hm2_7i76e.0.7i73.0.1.output-10 0

But you can type
setp hm<tab>7i73<tab>10 1 for example.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2017 13:20 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tecno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2017 16:53 - 14 Aug 2017 17:04 #97472 by tecno
I am a bit confused about erratic response on 7i73 inputs 0 to 7. I now have 5K6 resistors and 3.28V on non shorted input.

Following scenario in hal show window, IN0 shorted IN1 lights up - IN1 shorted IN0 lightsup - IN2 is always off
Yes double checked cables from rotary switch to pins.

Is the resistor value too high?
Last edit: 14 Aug 2017 17:04 by tecno.

More
14 Aug 2017 17:22 #97475 by PCW
No 5.6K is fine (even 100K is fine) Just verified with LinuXCNC here
_BUT_ any of the 0..7 inputs that do not have pullups/puldowns will have completely
undefined states and may follow nearby input pin states due to leakage currents

Is it possible you have the input pin rows swapped?

input0 is in the odd pin row (inboard row) next to pin 1 (square pad) which is GND

More
14 Aug 2017 17:40 #97476 by tecno
Hi Peter,

Found an error = my 34 pin breakout board I have had laying around for years and never used had one pin pushed out.
So some re soldering solved my problem. Now I can see clear change in Watch window input-xx-not.

So now it looks like I am back and still have a functioning 7i73 board even when I have abused it ;)

The big problem at my end is/was PNCCONF. There is no way a beginner like me will get things working as PNCCONF spits out duplicate signal names without any control what so ever.

I hope that this will be taken care of in near future so even bloody foreigners can get things on the road easily. Ads it is now there is no way in hell we can get things working without the help from this fantastic forum. Cudos to all that helps.

DonĀ“t take me wrong now Peter but the manuals for your fine boards need a shape up with more graphical instructions on how to connect ports etc. and hopefully PNCCONF will be updated so all MESA boards are included and full menus on everything.

Cheers
Bengt

More
15 Aug 2017 08:11 #97493 by Moronicsmurf
Couldnt agree more, manuals are like engineering technical, without this forum i could prob. never figure out what is what in them. Just trying to figure out what pins you can connect to and not is a painstaking process of asking like a million questions.. But that nice PDF on the 7i76E "Anchsluss" that is floating around here helped ALOT.. The mesa PDF is way to technical for a layman/hobbyist - which i think at least LinuxCNC is mainly geared towards. (still not seen it in any commercial application, other than tormach that is enthusiast hardware as well)

More
18 Aug 2017 17:07 - 18 Aug 2017 17:08 #97713 by tecno
I am back and now it looks like all is working as regards 7i73 board that has been abused ;)

Probably the main issue was the one pin on IDC connector that made IO pin floating and fault the board.

Now some HAL editing to get all correct as regards multiple naming on ports.

Happy camper here as the 7i73 survived my abuse.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2017 17:08 by tecno.

More
18 Aug 2017 17:27 #97714 by tecno
Question

On my spindle I have encoder but unfortunately the index pulse is not working. Is this a must for rigid tapping?

More
18 Aug 2017 17:28 #97715 by Clive S

Question

On my spindle I have encoder but unfortunately the index pulse is not working. Is this a must for rigid tapping?

Yes

More
18 Aug 2017 17:30 #97716 by tecno
Even when using a floating tapping head?

More
18 Aug 2017 17:31 #97717 by PCW
I'm pretty sure its required for all spindle synchronized motion
(peck tapping and threading would be rather a mess without it)

Can you fix the encoder index or add a proximity sensor to supply an index signal?

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds