Help needed to get my 7i76E + 7i85S + 7i73 on my mill going.

More
02 Aug 2017 20:56 #96945 by andypugh
For the 24V indicators it looks like you might be able to use OD0 and OD1 to drive 2 of them directly. (I hadn't noticed that before).

It does sound like you should see 3.3V with a DMM, from reading the manual.

The only way I have figured out to be sure which pin is which on the Mesa cards is that PIN1 always has a square pad. Might be worth checking.

Can you operate the LEDs on the 7i73? (ie is it acting "alive"?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2017 21:12 #96947 by tecno
Pin 1 should be correct as there is no way to plug the ribbon connectors wrong to the breakout boards.

And the limit inputs looks to be working so the pinout must be correct. MPG is working looking at Count numbers.

Led is blinking so it is online with 7i76E

More
11 Aug 2017 16:16 #97347 by tecno
So I am back from a short holiday trip to south of Sweden.

Re my home/limit switches. What kind of resistans is acceptable when contacts are closed?

These old switches have been sitting there since 1984. Have been working OK with 24VDC as far I am aware of with both the
original Siemens system and with my Mach3/KFlop conversion.

Measured resistance is well over 1.3 ohms in NC position so I am a bit worried that contacts have been contaminated over the years.
Problem is to replace these physically as the are installed way before heavy hardware was installed so I have to find out another solution for my Home/Limits switches. They are compact 3 nocks type.

Any hints on what to do as I assume theses are not working properly due to the resistance measured.

Cheers
Bengt

More
11 Aug 2017 17:00 #97348 by tecno
Next Question re Analog inputs on 7i73

What resistor values to connect as pullup/pulldown with inputs to achieve reliable sensing?

IN0 IN MPG SW X 1
IN1 IN MPG SW X 10
IN2 IN MPG SW X 100
Above common to P2 pin #29??

IN3 IN MPG SW axis OFF >>>>>>> this to set MPG totally non functional
IN4 IN MPG SW X
IN5 IN MPG SW Y
IN6 IN MPG SW Z
Above common to P2 pin #29??

What are pins P2 pins 11 and 12 used for AVDD??
Nothing can be found in manual regarding these pins!

More
12 Aug 2017 03:57 #97355 by rodw

So I am back from a short holiday trip to south of Sweden.

Re my home/limit switches. What kind of resistans is acceptable when contacts are closed?

These old switches have been sitting there since 1984. Have been working OK with 24VDC as far I am aware of with both the
original Siemens system and with my Mach3/KFlop conversion.

Measured resistance is well over 1.3 ohms in NC position so I am a bit worried that contacts have been contaminated over the years.
Problem is to replace these physically as the are installed way before heavy hardware was installed so I have to find out another solution for my Home/Limits switches. They are compact 3 nocks type.

Any hints on what to do as I assume theses are not working properly due to the resistance measured.

Cheers
Bengt

I think from memory, the Mesa inputs need a few volts to trigger so you should not have any problems. I'm sure active is >14 volts to be reliable.

More
12 Aug 2017 07:26 #97357 by tecno
7i73 inputs (IN10 to 18) are 3.3V/5V only so this a major problem me thinks, maybe I just have to cut and splice cables and reroute these new to 7i76E board instead to be on the safe side and getting all working reliable as it looks I am coming nowhere connecting these switches to 7i73.

Facts at hand 7i73 was not the best solution for me after all.

More
12 Aug 2017 12:14 #97367 by andypugh

Facts at hand 7i73 was not the best solution for me after all.

The 7i73 is working very well for me on my lathe. I am using proximity switches but those just act like an NO switch, so shouldn't make a difference.

I just did an experiment connecting pin 21 (IN15) to pin 22 (GND) on the 7i73 in my milling machine and the state of the HAL pin changed even when using a 100 Ohm resistor as the connection. So your limit switches should work OK even with a few ohms of contact and wiring resistance.

(Reading the manual, input 8 to 15 are probably the ones to use for your switches as they are 5V tolerant and have pull-ups to 5V, so can be operated by switches to GND.)

More
12 Aug 2017 12:32 #97369 by tecno
Will do a more extensive test and see what my fiddling around might have damaged the 7i73.

Thanks for letting me know your findings.

PCW replied the topic: Help needed to get my 7i76E + 7i85S + 7i73 on my mill going.
IN 8 through 15 (P2) and KEY 8 through 15 (IN 16..23 --> P1)
have pullups so can be used with switches with common grounds.

So it should be OK if not my fiddling with 5V common instead of ground killed the board.

Need to see what is going on with the outputs as earlier DMM measurements shows no voltage.

How do I use HAL Show command line to set outputs or inputs for testing?

More
12 Aug 2017 12:47 #97370 by andypugh
I used halmeter, but Halshow is probably more convenient to show many at a time.

If linuxCNC is running, then "halcmd loadusr halshow" will open halshow.
You can save and load display lists from the menus in Halshow.
Make sure you select the "Watch" tab as the other tab does not update live.

More
12 Aug 2017 12:56 #97371 by tecno
OK, some misunderstanding here.

When I have halshow open, how do I command ports to be on or off?

If I want to look at OUT10 on 7i73, I have it in the watch window = how do I use the command line in halshow?

????? hm2_7i76e.0.7i73.0.1.output-10 ??

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds