Joining two motors

More
15 Aug 2020 11:41 - 15 Aug 2020 11:41 #178259 by Aldenflorio
Replied by Aldenflorio on topic 2 motors on one axis
Yeah I read the whole document I just want to make sure I’m understanding perfectly. So was I right in the beginning? It uses the Home Search Velocity to get to the soft limits, then it slows down using home latch velocity speeds to contact the switch, is this correct then?

Does this mean that the other person was wrong in his explanation of home offset? In the doc it sounds like once the switches are tripped it moves the axis to this predetermining distance. Does this value still act in the way the other person said as well. Meaning the home offset value may be different for the two motors that are on the same gantry?
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 11:41 by Aldenflorio.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2020 11:48 #178260 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 2 motors on one axis

Yeah I read the whole document I just want to make sure I’m understanding perfectly. So was I right in the beginning? It uses the Home Search Velocity to get to the soft limits,............

That is correct with the difference being that the home latch velocity is the speed that it backs off of the switch.
It can also be set in the ini file to back off a certain distance and set the G54 home or 0 there.

More
15 Aug 2020 11:48 #178261 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic 2 motors on one axis

Yeah I read the whole document I just want to make sure I’m understanding perfectly. So was I right in the beginning? It uses the Home Search Velocity to get to the soft limits, then it slows down using home latch velocity speeds to contact the switch, is this correct then?

No, soft limits are totally independent of limit and/or home switches. Soft limits are set inside of limit switches and the machine will not normally go past a soft limit, if it reaches a soft limit it will stop and give an error message. Using the soft limits is one of the reasons for homing.

More
15 Aug 2020 11:55 - 15 Aug 2020 11:55 #178264 by Aldenflorio
Home ignore limits: ok so with my plan to use the limit switches as the homing this would be set to yes?

Home switch shared: ok so since I have four for they Y (two of which are used in the homing process) then they are not shared bc they are separate?

Homing sequence: ok, I don’t have a switch at the top of the z axis, so I’ll have to just use soft limits for that
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 11:55 by Aldenflorio.

More
15 Aug 2020 12:00 #178268 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 2 motors on one axis
You can also use the same switch as home and limit.

More
15 Aug 2020 12:03 #178269 by Aldenflorio
Please understand my confusion, you said I was right in my understanding but then another person below you said I was wrong. Was I just wrong in the sense of it doesn’t use this speed to go to the soft limit but rather to the switches if that’s what I plan to use?

More
15 Aug 2020 12:04 - 15 Aug 2020 12:05 #178270 by Aldenflorio
I think that’s what I designed my machine to do. A switch on each corner, and using the switches for homing purposes

Also I don’t know how to quote people, so I replied to two separate comments by you
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 12:05 by Aldenflorio.

More
15 Aug 2020 12:49 #178272 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic 2 motors on one axis

I think that’s what I designed my machine to do. A switch on each corner, and using the switches for homing purposes

Also I don’t know how to quote people, so I replied to two separate comments by you

Who are these other people? You can quote them by user name.

I think I have wasted my time as you have not read what I have stated. It has already been explained how the switches work and that soft limits are nothing to do with homing or limits.

There can be homing switches
There can be limit switches
There can be soft limits
There can be hard stops ie rubber buffers

And there can be homing switches combined with the limit switch at one end

More
15 Aug 2020 13:08 - 15 Aug 2020 13:15 #178273 by Aldenflorio
You didn’t waste your time and I certainly did read every single post on here along with the entire doc for homing. So I’m trying to piece all these things together which is confusing especially considering that I don’t have any background knowledge on this. Phillc54 said I was wrong in my understanding, but the next post is Tommylight saying I was right. Then there was your explicit which I responded to and thanked you for. (Which I clearly read bc I responded to each topic talked about except for the ones you told me to forget about) but then after your reply what seemed to be contradicting replies came from cmorely. Maybe these weren’t fully contradictions but do take these thing into note. I’m new to this, so information I receive is being processed and due to the many different pieces of information the piecing together is difficult, again this is my first project. Along with that, like I said I don’t know how to quote and I didn’t think of using usernames bc I don’t normally get this many different people on one post, but all the replies are not to you. Also, I’m trying to make sure I know without a doubt I know what I’m doing bc from my understanding if i do it wrong it could shoot the whole gantry off the tracks or ruin my gears or gear strip. And again I reassure you I read your post.

So please forgive my difficulty. I’m not trying to make this frustrating to you.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 13:15 by Aldenflorio.

More
15 Aug 2020 13:36 #178275 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic 2 motors on one axis
Maybe we should start over. Exactly which parts are confusing you?

I'll try to further explain 2 things that appeared to be poorly explained above.

Home Offset defines the numeric value given to point where the home switch latches.

Home Position defines the position the joint will move to and park at at the end of the home sequence.

For example if you set the Home Offset to -10min and the Home position to 20mm after homing the joint will be parked at the machine position 20mm showing on the DRO and that point will be 30mm away from the home switch.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds